Author Topic: RDMS and winter  (Read 16849 times)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: RDMS and winter
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2021, 07:23:06 PM »
I gather you can alter the sensitivity of these systems? It would almost certainly be beyond me so I may take the car to the dealership to get somebody to alter the setting on RDMS and CMS.

Do you have RDMS set to "Early", "Normal" or "Delayed"? Default setting is "Delayed", but check it! You really don't need the dealer: Have a look at
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_1653971839/textColumn/richtextdownload_90f/file.res/2021%20Jazz%20Owner%60s%20Manual.pdf page 154 and 155 show how to change the settings on RDMS and CMS.
 It's really THAT simple!
If nothing goes right, go left!

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2021, 08:30:59 PM »
I've been driving on narrow Welsh lanes for the past week. I've been silently swearing at drivers coming towards me without slowing down. I've been braking, sometimes to a full stop and pulling over as close to the rocky banks as I dare. The cars coming towards me just whizz through the gap.  :o

I got more respect when I drove a manky old Land Rover.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 08:33:11 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Jazzist

• Approved Member
  • The Jazzdriving Dutchman
  • My Honda: Jazz Executive 2021
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2021, 10:14:13 AM »
My answers are not meant to be disrespectful, but I did expect some sense of humor from the reader.
Was Spitting Image not a British programme?
The Honda Forum unites the World.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2021, 10:44:26 AM »
My answers are not meant to be disrespectful, but I did expect some sense of humor from the reader.

The British are losing their sense of humour due to draconian 'insult' laws, you can offend someone by looking at them 'the wrong way' now apparently.  Other than that there is the interminable political sniping of the leftie comedians  - or 'alternative comedy' - what it is alternative to is a mystery,  because it just is not funny,  Ah, maybe it is the alternative to the proper comedy we used to have,  which is now banned..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Mellorshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2021, 02:05:20 PM »
[quote author=shufty link=topic=13858.msg109445#msg109445
The Problem with RDMS is that at any moment on a country road it could pull the steering and send you head on into oncoming traffic.
I find this very hard to believe. I have had mine for 16 months and approaching 5k miles. I have not experienced anything like that. Yes it can vibrate the wheel and sometimes it seems a bit premature but steering into oncoming traffic, no. I have noticed that the vibration happens a lot less now than when I first had the car. So maybe my driving has improved 🤔.
From your statement above shouldn't you be reporting this to Honda, NCAP and the DVSA.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2021, 02:55:05 PM »
The Problem with RDMS is that at any moment on a country road it could pull the steering and send you head on into oncoming traffic.
I find this very hard to believe. I have had mine for 16 months and approaching 5k miles. I have not experienced anything like that. Yes it can vibrate the wheel and sometimes it seems a bit premature but steering into oncoming traffic, no. I have noticed that the vibration happens a lot less now than when I first had the car. So maybe my driving has improved .
From your statement above shouldn't you be reporting this to Honda, NCAP and the DVSA.
As it’s an optional system you switch on they are unlikely to do anything unfortunately- I took the car back to the dealer and they plugged it in and said all was working as it should.

I disable RDMS before every drive, never use LKAS and only use ACC on a clear road and disable before it does anything unwanted.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2021, 03:12:46 PM »
Like Sportse, I can confirm it does happen, but mainly when you need to pull in close to the verge to pass another vehicle.
I also now disable RDMS every trip, as I consider it to be a dangerous function and certainly get a wake up call when I sometimes forget. :o

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2021, 03:37:46 PM »
Am I correct to say that RDMS stops working below a certain speed? When I am facing oncoming traffic in a road narrow enough to worry about a collision I will be doing less than 20mph and be ready to stop. If the other car hits mine I will say, "I was stationary at the time"
Neil Ives

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2021, 03:48:17 PM »
In answer to myself.. 18mph, (30 km/) is the RDMS threshold for detecting oncoming vehicles.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 03:53:14 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2021, 04:52:24 PM »
I find this very hard to believe. I have had mine for 16 months and approaching 5k miles. I have not experienced anything like that. Yes it can vibrate the wheel and sometimes it seems a bit premature but steering into oncoming traffic, no. I have noticed that the vibration happens a lot less now than when I first had the car. So maybe my driving has improved 🤔.

Been thinking about this and I'm wondering if it's not more a case of the car preventing you from steering in the direction you want. You see an oncoming car on a narrow lane, you pull over as close as you can to the hedge so both vehicles can pass but the car resists your attempt to pull over.

In my scenario - the 3 lane junction at lights - I want to be in the left lane but the car obviously senses I am moving towards parked cars near the junction and wobbles the wheel.

So you may be right - the car doesn't actually steer you into oncoming traffic but makes it more difficult for you to choose the right path as it were. Still very far from ideal.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2021, 05:53:44 PM »
RDMS and ACC I will never use again so problem solved. LKAS I accidentally pressed once on the motorway and another weird feeling.

They are all trying to fight me when I'm trying to perform a smooth controlled drive.
Let's be careful out there !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2021, 06:01:33 PM »
... I'm loving LKAS, ACC has worked well so far and RDMS isn't causing a problem with the mild strength of the force feedback from the wheel.
So all in all I'm not having any problems with those systems at the moment.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2021, 07:33:37 AM »
On the Honda website, if you go into the Jazz section and then click on Reevoo for owners comments/ratings there are many people saying they have issues with RDMS.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/jazz-hybrid/overview.html

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2021, 08:04:21 AM »
I'm not surprised.

I'm not saying it's wrong, just that it's wrong for me.

I've been driving long enough now to not want anything tugging and flashing me in any direction be it steering or brakes.

For those who like the systems then fair enough.
Let's be careful out there !

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2021, 08:27:21 AM »
It will be interesting to find out if Honda took note of the feedback and has dumbed down RDMS on the new HR-V. In principal it's a good idea but in reality isn't suitable for many British roads.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: