Author Topic: HELP. Car won't start after engine oil change.  (Read 980 times)

simplestu

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz CVT 2011
HELP. Car won't start after engine oil change.
« on: October 06, 2021, 05:35:46 PM »
Hi all.

Please help me. I just changed the engine oil on my Honda Jazz 2011 CVT. I used appropriate fluid, same as last oil change (Shell Helix Ultra Professional 5w-30 fully synthetic). After filling to the correct amount, I turned engine on successfully for about 3 minutes, checked the oil – all good.

I then loosened the sump plug for the CVT fluid, before realising I didn't have the correct sump washer, and tightened again. The CVT fluid lost literally no fluid at all, and it hasn't leaked since.

When I tried to turn the engine on, it made strange clanking noises as though it was trying to spark but failing. Further attempts produced the following: (p.s. The flickering of the dash (at like 5 on/offs per second) happened NOT while I had key turned all the way round to ignition position, if that helps)

Lots of solenoid clicking, dash coming on/off repeatedly, message to check airbag system. I tried disconnecting/reconnectingbattery and nothing changed.

Please tell me how to get going again. I have a hospital appointment in 3 days and really don't have money to fix it at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
Re: HELP. Car won't start after engine oil change.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 05:59:07 PM »
Don't think changing oil and loosening sump plug could do that.
Have you knocked a cable or wire somewhere, worth having a look again especially if you have a hospital appointment.
Sorry I can't be any more helpful but your issue sounds like an  ignition issue.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
HELP. Car won't start after engine oil change.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 06:41:12 PM »
Sounds like your battery is flat or duff, have you measured the voltage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 06:42:59 PM by UKjim »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 10:36:45 AM »
You may have dislodged the battery earth cable which is above the CVT filler plug.
Try loosening and retightening connections on that.

simplestu

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz CVT 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 01:25:30 PM »
Thank you for your responses.

I borrowed an AC to 12V battery charging unit from a neighbour, and this has resolved the problem.

I believe I may have a faulty interior light which, if left on the 'DOOR' position, actually comes on randomly (it should only come on when doors are open!).

Basically, if your dash is flashing on and off, cliking it's solenoids like it's trying to make a hip hop beat – it's probably the battery!

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 10:22:18 AM »
Pleased you got it sorted. A new battery is cheap enough to buy and a doddle to fit.

Tags:

anything