Author Topic: Battery going flat quickly  (Read 1943 times)

Ishaq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2005
Battery going flat quickly
« on: October 04, 2021, 12:41:11 AM »
Hi all,

Few issues with my Jazz mark 1 2005 auto and wanted some input / suggestions please.

Firstly my battery is a Yuasa and it cranks the engine up fine but I use it for a lot of short journeys maybe 20-30 a day (deliveries). If I turn the engine off and accidentally leave the headlights on for a few minutes or leave the hazards on once I come back to the car it just won't start and its obvious the battery is flat. After a jumpstart car is running fine again and can even stop/start multiple times just as long as no lights are left on without the engine on. Is this a bad battery? I replaced it with a fully charged used battery then swapped back because that had the same problem.

Secondly, a while ago I hit the kerb against the nearside front wheel and ever since then this strange metal grinding noise happens on pull off but during normal cruising and even top speeds it's fine. Just on the initial pull off it sounds like a cracking noise happens. Any ideas what this might be?

Sorry for the long post. Appreciate any input.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
Re: Battery going flat quickly
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 10:49:14 AM »
The cracking noise could be the cv joint.
They usually make a clicking sound when starting off, especially when the steering is turned slightly. I'd get it checked out as it can't be good in any case.

It could be that the battery is perfectly good but not charging enough because you are stop starting so much.

Ishaq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 11:30:25 AM »
The cracking noise could be the cv joint.
They usually make a clicking sound when starting off, especially when the steering is turned slightly. I'd get it checked out as it can't be good in any case.

It could be that the battery is perfectly good but not charging enough because you are stop starting so much.

Thanks for the reply.

I figured out what it was thanks to another topic on this board, it was actually the rubber from the transmission mount that was out. Once I pushed it back in the noise went away. There seems to be a long piece of rubber coming out from underneath too so possibly needs the mounting replaced.

It looks like this:

The noise is different from the clicking with a bad CV joint. It's more of a rubber on metal grinding noise.

Ishaq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 11:33:23 AM »

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 03:38:30 PM »

a lot of short journeys maybe 20-30 a day

I replaced it with a fully charged used battery then swapped back because that had the same problem.

How old is your original and the substitute 'used' batteries'?

How long after fitting the substitute did you encounter the starting problems?

2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 04:29:37 PM »
You need to check the voltage the alternator is supplying to the battery. Voltage at battery terminals should be over 14 volts with engine running to keep the battery happy.  If alternator not working properly the battery will lose power anyway,  and especially with short journeys and frequent starts.   You also need to check if there is any parasitic current flowing from battery with ignition off. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 04:40:20 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ishaq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 11:19:06 PM »

I replaced it with a fully charged used battery then swapped back because that had the same problem.

I bought this Jazz without a history so no idea of original battery age, possibly since factory if they come fitted with these batteries. The replacement not sure either, a family member bought it from a car shop who sell charged batteries. Both batteries have green battery indicators but that obviously doesn't give the whole story.

Starting problem happened again about 1 or 2 months after fitting the replacement. What triggered it was again related to lighting, the headlights were left on for a few minutes while in the car with ignition off but steering wheel was blocking the dashboard headlight indicator so didn't realize.

Part of me thinks it is the battery, maybe the cells on both are just too worn but then I also think it could be alternator related or something else.

Thanks.

Ishaq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 11:24:09 PM »
You need to check the voltage the alternator is supplying to the battery. Voltage at battery terminals should be over 14 volts with engine running to keep the battery happy.  If alternator not working properly the battery will lose power anyway,  and especially with short journeys and frequent starts.   You also need to check if there is any parasitic current flowing from battery with ignition off.

Thanks will check that out.

When it first started happening on my original battery I didn't have a jump-start on me so had to call out the RAC and he said the alternator is supplying enough to the battery so it's the battery at fault, that's why I replaced it with a different battery only for that to have the same issues.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 12:59:03 AM »

Do not omit the simple fix of checking the Alternator belt for  correct tension, a worn or  stretched belt may  be slipping under load causing the battery undercharging

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 03:47:35 AM »
From your journey history I'd recommend a CTEK battery charger, or similar, and give the battery a good charge and reconditionat least weekly.

Part of the CTEK 5 stage recondition is a charge and discharge check.
Let's be careful out there !

seasidesoulish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Jazz 1.4 CVT-7
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 09:11:15 PM »
Just a quick thought...
I had a similar battery issue & after replacing alternator, ELD & battery, I realised I just needed to put the lights on for every short trip which forces the system to charge all the time instead of reducing charge to save fuel as it does by default.
Worth a try & free.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 10:01:37 PM »
Just a quick thought...
I had a similar battery issue & after replacing alternator, ELD & battery, I realised I just needed to put the lights on for every short trip which forces the system to charge all the time instead of reducing charge to save fuel as it does by default.
Worth a try & free.

Good point, I have noticed that as well, and it has been mentioned on the forum quite a few times,  one lady owner on here had problems with battery going flat until she tried that trick, and her car had been in the garage a few times getting things checked and all seemed well, but leaving the headlights on while driving did the trick.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ishaq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 12:27:52 PM »
Thanks all.

What's a permanent solution without having to leave headlights on during daytime?

Shall I buy a new battery and see how it goes? Anyone recommend a model and seller for the Jazz Mk1 2005?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 12:39:29 PM »
Thanks all.

What's a permanent solution without having to leave headlights on during daytime?

Shall I buy a new battery and see how it goes? Anyone recommend a model and seller for the Jazz Mk1 2005?

With the amount of starts you are doing and the small battery on the Jazz ( no room for a bigger one ) no real answer....

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5054/

Best value and super quick delivery,  look at same battery on Halfords will cost £90    HSB154 Silver
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 12:41:42 PM by culzean »

Ishaq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 12:45:07 PM »
Thanks all.

With the amount of starts you are doing and the small battery on the Jazz ( no room for a bigger one ) no real answer....

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5054/

Best value and super quick delivery,  look at same battery on Halfords will cost £90    HSB154 Silver

Thanks yea I was just in Halfords yesterday it was £89 for the 154  :o

Is this the same seller on Amazon? Price after postage is same.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076TBC6KS/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_P0V95DPZB90DBA4K9T00

Tags:

anything