Author Topic: Signalling  (Read 3060 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Re: Signalling
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2021, 10:36:03 AM »
I'm not willing accept the suggestion that I'm a driver that signals from lazy habit. I am a very careful and observant driver. I'm good at anticipating what other drivers might do; I also ride a 70 year old motorcycle; anticipation is vital when riding on two wheels with drum brakes. I make good progress when appropriate both on the bike and in the car.

I've been considering taking the IAM test. I would find it hard to follow their advice about signalling. I might have to bite my tongue a bit.

I was horrified when a good friend once told me he couldn't remember any detail of his journey while he was driving.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 11:15:03 AM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

guest4871

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2021, 11:11:02 AM »

It's not the unnecessary signalling that's the problem, it's what that says about attention to the road.

That is the absolute point - very precisely expressed.

But then "You can't teach old dogs new tricks" or can you?  ;)

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2021, 11:13:56 AM »
... But then "You can't teach old dogs new tricks" or can you?  ;)
We are back to dogs are we?
Neil Ives

guest4871

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2021, 11:22:58 AM »
... But then "You can't teach old dogs new tricks" or can you?  ;)
We are back to dogs are we?

:D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2021, 11:32:58 AM »
I think, with respect, what we are trying to say, is.

If you are the only vehicle, pedestrian, cycle, whatever, on the road, then who will see/benefit from signalling ?

The replies keep coming back along the lines of - what about other people - what other people if you're the only one around ?

We each have our own strategy and both must be respected.

Let's be careful out there !

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2021, 12:52:16 PM »
I'm not willing accept the suggestion that I'm a driver that signals from lazy habit.

I don't think anyone has suggested that you do, but there will be drivers out there who will learn to do exactly that.

Of course, there are also plenty of drivers that do not signal at all, unless it is for their own benefit, but I doubt that is because they have been told that they don't always need to.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2021, 03:08:26 PM »
I'm not willing accept the suggestion that I'm a driver that signals from lazy habit.
Well, with all due respect, you did say yourself:
With me, it's habit.

And a "habit", according to a typical dictionary, is "something that you do often and regularly, sometimes without knowing that you are doing it" (eg https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/habit). Saying that it's a habit suggests it's being done automatically without proper consideration of the circumstances, which was what sparked my urge to clarify. If that's not actually the case, then perhaps we're on the same page after all.

BTW ...
I've been considering taking the IAM test.
... I'd thoroughly recommend it. You do have to approach it with an open mind because you will be criticised over things you might have been doing for years, but it does bring a new perspective.

guest4871

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2021, 03:36:23 PM »
Well, with all due respect, you did say yourself:
With me, it's habit.

And a "habit", according to a typical dictionary, is "something that you do often and regularly, sometimes without knowing that you are doing it" (eg https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/habit). Saying that it's a habit suggests it's being done automatically without proper consideration of the circumstances, which was what sparked my urge to clarify. If that's not actually the case, then perhaps we're on the same page after all.

BTW ...
I've been considering taking the IAM test.
... I'd thoroughly recommend it. You do have to approach it with an open mind because you will be criticised over things you might have been doing for years, but it does bring a new perspective.

+1

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2021, 05:23:43 PM »
I was taught to always signal;  that was the rule in 1967;  hence my 'habit' of signalling. I've found no good reason to stop indicating my intentions on the road since then.

Some of my other driving 'habits' are: Not tailgating. Not braking at the last moment when I have plenty of time to take my foot of the gas peddle and let the vehicle speed fall off. (I love easing off while approaching a red traffic light and it turning green as I approach). Moving into the 'slow' lane on motorways when it's clear even when I'm traveling fast. Driving in such a way that my passengers are not made uncomfortable. Driving habits are not a bad thing.

Anyway, today, I was driving around a large roundabout with lots of greenery on it that blocked my view of the road ahead. As usual, I turned the left winker on to indicate I was leaving at the next exit, (no one was behind me). As I approached my exit the view forward cleared and I could see a string of cars approaching the roundabout from the opposite direction. My turn signal, my road position and my speed allowed the front car to decide if it was safe for him to enter the roundabout.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 05:44:29 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2021, 06:46:24 PM »
I get annoyed as a pedestrian by the number of drivers which do not signal their intention and I signal when leaving a roundabout as a matter of habit and am usually to busy concentrating on the road and other vehicles to be specifically looking out for pedestrians who may be waiting to cross the road.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2021, 06:59:57 PM »
I get annoyed as a pedestrian by the number of drivers which do not signal their intention and I signal when leaving a roundabout as a matter of habit and am usually to busy concentrating on the road and other vehicles to be specifically looking out for pedestrians who may be waiting to cross the road.
My thoughts exactly.
Neil Ives

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2021, 09:40:14 PM »
About 20 years ago I was in the fortunate/unfortunate position of doing an emergency services driving course, in general I learned a lot and became a better driver (hopefully) but I found it frustrating being told not to signal if I couldn't see someone who would benefit. Usually this ended with me spotting another road user too late whilst in the middle of a manoeuvre when it would have been easier to signal on my approach. Daft, but that's the system, so I 'bit my tongue' and got a pass.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2021, 11:24:20 PM »
Don't start me on IAM dogma (especially for motorbikes, though miraculously this has changed in recent years more in line with what I've always thought........... but I was always wrong, apparently.)

I generally always signal for the reasons others give, spotting another road user when you are half way though a turn is a bit late to start signalling. It doesn't cost anything to signal, so why not just do it then you can concentrate on your observations while doing the driving manoeuvre. I can't see a downside for signalling.

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2021, 08:05:47 AM »
... I can't see a downside for signalling.
Indeed
Neil Ives

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2021, 06:41:21 PM »
I take signals from other vehicles with a pinch of salt unless they are showing distinct signs of  carrying out what their indicators are saying, been caught a few times, now very cynical and only signal myself if someone can benefit from it. I did find that when I signalled right while actually going around an island a lot more people cut onto island in front of me, and not too far in front of me, so stopped doing it, still signal left when leaving but only if vehicle waiting at exit or if a vehicle following me, but signalling on an empty island - naahhh..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything