Author Topic: Hybrid 12v Battery Type?  (Read 10431 times)

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: Hybrid 12v Battery Type?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 12:02:14 PM »
It gets weirder ! ! !

So yesterday, I jump start the car again, leave it ticking over for 30 minutes, then blast it down the dual carriageway for 30 minutes. Last night it started first time, this morning it starts first time. The only thing different is we disconnected a usb lead that has been there for 2 years, but then the car hasn't been left for 3 weeks before, so the next query is, can a usb lead that's not connected to any devices, drain a 12v battery in 3 weeks?? Or drain it low enough not to start??

You need to externally re-charge your battery.

Idling the vehicle will actually just discharge your battery, not unless you put some load on the system, e.g. turning the headlamps on will it actually make any attempt to charge the battery, you can confirm this by actually monitoring the battery voltage while its running, it will stay around the 12.4v resting voltage rather than seeing around 14.5 volts.

Even driving a vehicle will not necessarily create a charge sufficient to last.

When a 12v battery gets into a discharge state it will take a burst of higher voltage (Often up to 16 volts) to break down any sulphation of battery, this is what the modern smart battery charger does, but the car itself cannot do this.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 04:05:28 PM »
Thanks everyone, in the absence of any electrical testing equipment, I will chance it to jump leads and regular usage for now. I think I may have saved myself £90 meantime.

Thanks everyone.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 04:07:41 PM »
I have done some further research on the Varta Battery website and it seems upgrading to AGM/EFB does it no harm, so I may still go down that avenue if its a non-starter tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments.

I have had a couple of Varta batteries on motorbikes in the past and they did not last long ---- will not be buying another one anytime soon.. never had a problem with Yuasa.

The OE battery on my Jazz is made by Varta. It is now 8 years and several months old and doing well.

Son's Yaris had a Varta battery from new. That died at eight years old this month...

The OE battery on our 2003 Yaris was Yuasa and lasted 11 years..

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 03:42:39 PM »
Thanks everyone, in the absence of any electrical testing equipment, I will chance it to jump leads and regular usage for now. I think I may have saved myself £90 meantime.

Thanks everyone.
Well that didn't last long !

The battery was drained again and struggled to turn the engine, so I have had it replaced, and fingers crossed that's it !

JazzHybrid

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 11:48:38 PM »
I apologise in that I am a bit late to the party and your issue looks to be resolved, but I thought I'd chime in if somebody was to read this thread in the future.

When I bought my Jazz Hybrid, it was standing at the dealers and the battery was completely shot, so after some research, I bought a regular YUASA YBX5054 (40Ah / 340CCA) battery for £46.91 delivered, they are about that price now. I can report that I have had absolutely no issues with the battery since installing it more than 12 months ago. AGM batteries are dear and I don't think you need one.

And in terms of battery maintenance, for as long as I can remember, I have always hooked up each one of our cars to a car battery charger and re-conditioner, once every quarter, for an overnight charge session. The result is that our oldest car, an old diesel from 2001 which we bought in 2010, is still running its original battery with no issues and this is not a car that gets used much at all, maybe 3,000 to 4,000 miles a year.  :o

In my view, the Swedish company CTEK make the best battery chargers. I have a CTEK MXS 5.0, which sells for about £65 and slightly less if buying from eBay. It has saved me several batteries and even resuscitated batteries I assumed were paper weights.

So I really do advise, if you can afford to splash out, get yourself a CTEK and especially in cold harsh winter, stick on the battery overnight a couple of times.

CTEK website: https://www.ctek.com/uk/education/car-battery-chargers

:)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 11:51:44 PM by JazzHybrid »

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2020, 03:24:48 PM »
Hi Ozzie et al,

My 2011 Jazz Hybrid won't start/fire up.....it's just silently inert.(key position 3) but the usual dash lights do come on (key position 2).
On turning the key to pos 3 the message "CHECK SYSTEM!" appears accompanied in repeating sequence by the ABS, Airbag, and Brake sustem synbols in AMBER.
I suspect the problem is the original12V battery (yes I know 9 years old!!) finally failing to recharge and not allowing the ECU to engage the hybrid battery system to whizz up the engine to start

Did this happen to anybody else when their HYBRID 12V battery began to fail?

I've ordered a YUASA VBX 5054 BATTERY from TAYNA £45.86 delivered and I'm hoping that simple replacement cures the problem ???

Thanks in adavance for any feedback on this.
Dave C

From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2020, 03:52:42 PM »
I've never heard of anyone on here having a Hybrid battery fail.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2020, 06:11:26 PM »
I suspect the problem is the original12V battery (yes I know 9 years old!!) finally failing to recharge and not allowing the ECU to engage the hybrid battery system to whizz up the engine to start
The hybrid Mk 2 Jazz has a traditional starter motor which does the initial engine starting. Once the engine is feeling comfortable and the stop / start becomes active then the IMA motor does the restarting. This arrangement was probably to protect against the main hybrid battery not having enough charge - it's a nickel-based battery with a relative high self-discharge.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2020, 06:38:13 PM »
Hi Ozzie et al,

My 2011 Jazz Hybrid won't start/fire up.....it's just silently inert.(key position 3) but the usual dash lights do come on (key position 2).
On turning the key to pos 3 the message "CHECK SYSTEM!" appears accompanied in repeating sequence by the ABS, Airbag, and Brake sustem synbols in AMBER.

Did this happen to anybody else when their HYBRID 12V battery began to fail?

I've ordered a YUASA VBX 5054 BATTERY from TAYNA £45.86 delivered and I'm hoping that simple replacement cures the problem ???

Thanks in adavance for any feedback on this.
Dave C

Almost certainly the 12v battery. 9 years is near the end of lifespan of normal batteries (not Bosch - 5-6 years).

It could be the hybrid battery cooling fan blocked with fluff etc but then the car would run without any hybrid battery power.

GSX600FMAN

• 2014 Jazz Hybrid GP1
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE6 1.4EX, GG6 1.4EX. Now Jazz Hybrid (2014) April 2019
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2021, 08:24:06 AM »
What happened to DFConnelly is what happened to my 2014 HX Jazz Hybrid.
Below is my contact notes entry for this car:-

6/6/19 car would not attempt to start and made a long beep and showed amber warning for check system, ABS, brakes and airbags.  I noticed that the electric windows didn’t work too. So I checked all the fuses. checked battery voltage and that was only 9v, so I connected the Ring booster pack and the ignition worked okay with no beeping or warnings and then it started okay. So low normal car battery voltage can cause faults and a no start.

This happened 3 times within about a week. I had the AA test the 12V battery and they replaced the battery under warranty. All sorted.
You’ll see that this car has no traditional starter motor. All starting and charging is carried out by the electric motor sandwiched between engine and gearbox.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2021, 10:40:22 AM »
You’ll see that this car has no traditional starter motor. All starting and charging is carried out by the electric motor sandwiched between engine and gearbox.
Did you look under the bonnet? The hybrid Mk. 2 I owned had a conventional starter motor which would always be used to initially start the engine. The IMA system took over once the engine was warm and the system was confident that there was enough charge in the IMA battery (it's an NiMH battery so prone to self discharge - see specs near the bottom of https://hondanews.eu/eu/lv/cars/media/pressreleases/1523/honda-jazz1 ). I'm fairly sure there's also a 12V alternator with the whole IMA system electrically separate from the normal 12V electrics.

Things have changed with the 2020 hybrid Jazz which does use the hybrid system motor for starting. However, the big hybrid battery uses lithium technology which has a very low self discharge and the battery management system likes to maintain at least 20% charge at all times (and the handbook says run the car for at least 1/2 hour every 3 months to add some more charge). However, the new hybrid still has a 12V battery to supply the 12V electrics but this battery gets charged from the HV electrical system.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: