Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 142660 times)

guest9814

Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #390 on: June 06, 2022, 11:03:52 PM »
Best speed for mpg is 50-57 mph.
Once you over this speed you waste energy  because of  air drag.
How can we reduce air drag ?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #391 on: June 07, 2022, 05:39:48 AM »
I'm finding, as per the Honda Hybrid explanation video frequently linked to, that over 49mph / 80kph is the point where mpg starts to reduce.

My local motorway has had a 50mph limit for a long time and at 50mph I'm getting ~70mpg but where the motorway restriction ends and I speed up to 60mph the mpg instantly decreases.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
MPG for those interested
« Reply #392 on: June 07, 2022, 06:34:01 AM »
Best speed for mpg is 50-57 mph.
Once you over this speed you waste energy  because of  air drag.
How can we reduce air drag ?
We already have the ‘speed nose’ on the EX instead of the crosstar’s ordinary grille , so are probably at the limit already for the body shape and ride height.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #393 on: June 07, 2022, 06:35:59 AM »
I'm finding, as per the Honda Hybrid explanation video frequently linked to, that over 49mph / 80kph is the point where mpg starts to reduce.

My local motorway has had a 50mph limit for a long time and at 50mph I'm getting ~70mpg but where the motorway restriction ends and I speed up to 60mph the mpg instantly decreases.
Yes, 50mph motorway sections are great for mpg.

I’ve achieved 74mpg on a trip that was mainly steady 50mph motorway.

guest9814

« Reply #394 on: June 17, 2022, 09:58:32 AM »
trip A
trip B
MPG on photo trip A total average after topping tank to full, there lower average MPG because first 4 trips needed to use climate control with temp set to 25 degree C (outside temp 29 degree C) and this trips  shorter than 10 mile.
MPG on photo trip B in town with max speed 25 MPH without A/C.
Key to fuel economy - right speed (in town if there every 500m runabout or trafic light it`s 25 mph) and avoid short trips, best result on trips 10 miles or more, coast  (glide) as much as possible, if acceptable drive up the hill at a slightly lower speed, so we will use less energy from the battery and the generator will turn on much later, smart usage of A/C or climate control and when acceptable use only fan with choice of air from outside.
if you want  call me captain snail, I understand that almost no one will drive a car like that, but nevertheless here it is the result - consumption of only 104.4 miles per gallon on fairly even road, all trips were started with the battery charged to 3-4 bars (specially I didn’t charge the battery because it worsens the average consumption per tank) when charging while standing still, about 2 kilowatts out of 5 that the internal combustion engine consumes are lost to heat.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #395 on: June 17, 2022, 10:05:23 AM »
I'll be doing my regular 30 mile motorway trip tomorrow morning. Be interesting to see how the temps affect it.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #396 on: June 23, 2022, 09:44:28 AM »
Modifying driving settings to find best mpg has resulted in use of B mode + ECCO as standard with D mode on motorway for cruise settings etc.

Overall mpg from new is currently 53.01. - 4680 miles with 416.30 litres used

See attached excel graph for mpg for each fill.

dips with m/way speed. shift to B mode giving increase evident from increase

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #397 on: June 23, 2022, 10:30:50 AM »
I agree that driving in "B" mode and Econ saves fuel. However, I miss a timeline on your excel graph. Temperature also has a significant influence on consumption. In winter, consumption will therefore always be higher than in summer.
If nothing goes right, go left!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #398 on: June 23, 2022, 10:53:15 AM »
I'm on 52.4 mpg (actual not computer) at present. My lowest mpg has been 48.5 and that was in the winter months when, effectively, you are using the ICE to keep you warm.

On my current tank I am on just over 66 mpg according to the computer - I think this will pan out at 62 mpg actual. I do a very small mileage - I've had the car 8 months and have done a tad under 1300 miles. I reckon I'm on track for an overall mpg over a year of 55 ish. I'll take that. My MK3 was on about 42 mpg overall after 2 years.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #399 on: June 23, 2022, 11:48:13 AM »
I did my usual 30 mile trip yesterday and got just over 72mpg

What surprised me was the aircon. Unlike the Civics it did maintain a good fan speed to keep the interior cool.

Outside was 27C and I had it set to 20C

Pleasantly surprised  :)

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #400 on: June 23, 2022, 12:13:02 PM »
I agree that driving in "B" mode and Econ saves fuel. However, I miss a timeline on your excel graph. Temperature also has a significant influence on consumption. In winter, consumption will therefore always be higher than in summer.

Sorry about cropping too much, attached graph with dates.

Also attached my Jazz Sport mpg graph which shows in the winter months decreasing mpg, all the other dips are due to m/way trips to go to airport on holidays.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #401 on: June 23, 2022, 12:23:23 PM »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Pixie 22

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Shining Gray
« Reply #402 on: June 24, 2022, 05:22:40 PM »
In the first 1650 miles in a mk4, I have averaged 76.1 according to the trip computer. This is over a mixture of roads. I don't often drive above 50mph and rarely above 60mph, always trying to avoid engine drive. The trick is to charge the battery as much as you can when slowing down or going to down hill and then using that electric reserve for fuel consumptive ascents and accelerations.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #403 on: June 24, 2022, 05:33:23 PM »
I still can't work out the logic.

On a quiet flat fixed speed 50mph motorway under LIM, so speed is constant, I can see the engine kick in and out regardless whether the battery bars are 3 or 7.

I would have expected 3 bars = engine, then once up to 7 bars the engine cuts out until back down to 3 bars......and so on

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #404 on: June 24, 2022, 05:49:41 PM »
I still can't work out the logic.

On a quiet flat fixed speed 50mph motorway under LIM, so speed is constant, I can see the engine kick in and out regardless whether the battery bars are 3 or 7.

I would have expected 3 bars = engine, then once up to 7 bars the engine cuts out until back down to 3 bars......and so on

Pretty much mirrors my experience.

Tags:

anything