Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 142690 times)

guest9814

Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2021, 11:48:54 AM »
Two jorneys about 14km one direction uphil(with cold engine at start) other downhill  same road (hot engine)
fuel ≥95 RON tyre pressure 2 PSI more then recommended for speed over 160 km/h (38PSI + 2 PSI front 36 PSI +2 PSI rear) it`s not advice to do that but i can say no difference on harsh road either 35 PSI or 38 PSI or 40 PSI and visualy protector of tyre still have contact with road as with 38 PSI for front or 36 PSI for rear, but have effect on rolling resistance.
Uphill average for trip 3.0l/100km
downhill average for trip 2.7l/100km
Average for 180km after refill 3.1l/100km

Geoff_W

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Premium Crystal Red Metallic
« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2021, 12:19:24 PM »
Two jorneys about 14km one direction uphil(with cold engine at start) other downhill  same road (hot engine)
fuel ≥95 RON tyre pressure 2 PSI more then recommended for speed over 160 km/h (38PSI + 2 PSI front 36 PSI +2 PSI rear) it`s not advice to do that but i can say no difference on harsh road either 35 PSI or 38 PSI or 40 PSI and visualy protector of tyre still have contact with road as with 38 PSI for front or 36 PSI for rear, but have effect on rolling resistance.
Uphill average for trip 3.0l/100km
downhill average for trip 2.7l/100km
Average for 180km after refill 3.1l/100km

I've not seen that instrument display before, how do you get to it?

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2021, 12:50:26 PM »
You'll likely get the display by plugging a dongle into the OBD port and using an app on a phone or tablet. I've seen similar displays from Prius owners.

- Can someone please confirm where the OBD port is on the Mk 4 Jazz? I know they're usually somewhere under the bottom of the dash.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2021, 01:33:40 PM »
I'm sure I spotted mine when I did the dashcam install.

From memory it's the long white port.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 01:38:00 PM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

guest9814

« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2021, 09:23:04 PM »
OBD port located on  left side under steering well slightly lower then fuse box and option power connector.
App that used on Toyota hybrid, Hyundai ioniq,  Ford hybrid and Kia Niro is Hybrid Assistant- excellent app but to my sadness not supporting Honda hybrids
When I asked author of this app if he plans to add support of Honda hybrids he answered that if Honda will be interested in this he will add support of Honda hybrids…..
Program that I used is Car Scanner Pro, this is diagnostic app but you can configure dashboard.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2021, 04:34:34 PM »
Having driven a few trips of 50 miles at motorway speeds in cold weather, I’m seeing a drop of 4mpg so far.

To be expected, hybrids tend to get maybe 5mpg less in winter.

I was surprised it was so much at high speed though, must be due to the efficiency of the system and it’s use of EV mode at speed in warm weather.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #171 on: November 05, 2021, 12:43:18 PM »
It's been pretty cold and wet near us and I've been doing my usual stop/start short distance stuff. The fibometer was showing a tad over 60 mpg but it seems to have dropped back and settled at around 57 mpg. I reckon this might translate to 53 mpg actual which is fine by me and a 25% improvement on my Mk3.

As it happens I've just done a short trip (about 5 miles round trip but parked up for 2 hours) and I have noticed that the battery is showing full but the car is reluctant to kick into EV mode - it's clear that it won't do that whilst the climate control is on until the correct ambient temperature is reached in the cabin.

I've done about 165 miles. I have a strong urge to do a fill up to check my "real" mpg but I am trying to resist that so I can get a truer picture over a longer distance.

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2021, 04:36:53 PM »
I was getting an average of 62 mpg but now averaging 56mpg in the "cooler" climate.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2021, 10:57:43 AM »
First fill - early for convenience @ 382 miles gave 53.2mpg (dashboard - 52.9). Range max would be 468.

Countryside running. Mainly D last third with eco.

Looking for better as run-in completes.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 10:50:31 AM by aphybrid »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2021, 01:54:25 PM »
I cracked!

Curiosity got the better of me so I topped up the tank today. 53.7 mpg and I'm pleased with that given the type of driving I've been doing. I reckon the Mk3 would have been 42 mpg at best.

Early days but the fibometer was just under 4 mpg (57.5mpg) optimistic so no change there then.

sportse

• Approved Member
MPG for those interested
« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2021, 03:16:45 PM »
Having been forced to drive a VW T-Cross hire car with a laggy at low speed DSG for a week, I’m finding my MPG has increased in the Jazz!

A regular country road 25 mile trip achieved 73+ mpg today - my best country mpg.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2021, 04:13:11 PM »
Mine is now hovering around the 64mpg mark. Mostly 50 and 60mph restricted motorways with the heater on.

I must say, the heater does come on fairly quick. My ICE Civic used to not push out noticeable heat till end of the local bypass, 2 miles, but the Jazz is kicking out heat half way down.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2021, 12:54:22 PM »
Mine is now hovering around the 64mpg mark. Mostly 50 and 60mph restricted motorways with the heater on.

I must say, the heater does come on fairly quick. My ICE Civic used to not push out noticeable heat till end of the local bypass, 2 miles, but the Jazz is kicking out heat half way down.

Had my first bit of proper motorway driving this Wednesday. About 40 miles - 30 motorway and 10 on A Road. Roadworks on the motorway so I rarely got anywhere near 70. At the end of this trip the Fibometer was reading just over 64 mpg and that figure includes some other short stuff with the engine on heating the cabin so pretty much in line with your experience.

I was looking at the "Which" figures for this car. They got an astonishing 91 mpg on some urban stuff but only 40 mpg on the motorway. I think these figures might be outliers - the 91 mpg seems incredible but I am sure you'd get more than 40 mpg at motorway speeds even allowing for the fact that high speed motorway work is not a hybrid's strong suit.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2021, 02:28:41 PM »
I think these figures might be outliers - the 91 mpg seems incredible but I am sure you'd get more than 40 mpg at motorway speeds even allowing for the fact that high speed motorway work is not a hybrid's strong suit.
The worst I have had was about 49mpg on the A74(M) from Carlisle  climbing to Beattock summit  (IIRC they had to fit an extra railway locomotive  for this climb in the 'old days'. )  Thats with only about 500 miles from new and the ACC set for 65 mph  (where those around me may have had  70 mph showing on their speedometers.)

Maybe If I had set it for 80 mph it may have dropped to 40 mpg, but otherwise I dont know how these journalists manage get the figures they do.   Perhaps they just look at the constant fuel consumption bar which with the engine running can drop below 35 mpg at times, but balanced  up by the times you are not using any fuel at all.  Or they measure it over a very short distance pedal to the metal.

I'd say at  65 mph on  level motorway I got about  65 mpg  ,sometimes dropping to low 60's.  This may depend on tail wind or headwind.  I got roughly 1 mpg less for every 1 mph over this speed and  1 mpg more for  every mph under.  But 80 mph + would come at a fuel cost. 
 But these are very rough estimates  made over a short period.   This is about the same as my Diesel yaris under similar conditions. A few small conventional petrol cars may equal, or slightly better it on the motorway.   Its in town, and driven sensibly on rural roads where its fuel consumption is really impressive.

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2021, 05:49:15 PM »
Yes - I know that climb to Beattock summit. I think your figure of 49 mpg is more realistic than the "Which" figures.

Tags: