Author Topic: My Exhaust Fell off!  (Read 2559 times)

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
My Exhaust Fell off!
« on: August 17, 2020, 04:05:50 PM »
The joys of driving a 15 year old car continue. I was driving along and the exhaust fell off and started dragging behind the car. I was able to stop and pull over and pull it off the rubber mounts. See attached pictures.

What do I need to buy to replace this?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: My Exhaust Fell off!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 04:22:17 PM »
Looks like it just needs a back box but it would be worth checking the middle section as well.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 04:24:50 PM by Jocko »

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 04:46:16 PM »
I've had a quick look on eBay and they seem to sell for about £30. I just need to know what else to buy to do the job. It looks like I need some sort of metal gasket? and some 'exhaust paste'?

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »
Don’t replace the gasket unless you are changing the centre section as you won’t get the old one off. You may need new bolts, the joint is a flexible joint with bolts and springs to tension it.

Henryge

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 43.3
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 litre 2014 ivtec
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 06:02:45 PM »
Hi There, Get a rear box and it looks like flange joint with springs and bolts to
             hold together but still flex at joint. The main pipe has lost the flange
             and the bracket to bolt onto. Check the other joints along the pipe
            as they mybe in same sorry state, If ok then mod needed at corroded
            flange end, Yes exhaust paste needed reuse the rubber mounts if not
           split and something like this to join the pipes. Measure diameter of pipe.
           I would install rear in situ with rubber mounts to then find best method of
           joining up both pipes
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Sleeve-Pipe-Repair-Connector-304-Stainless-steel-50mm-2/321543534011?hash=item4add7cf5bb:g:a8oAAOSwr81UMapZ
         or this   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Sleeve-Pipe-Repair-Connector-304-Stainless-steel-76mm-3/361072628610?hash=item54119b1382:g:DSwAAOSwcu5UMap1
        or even this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-FLEXIBLE-FLANGE-KIT-Exhaust-Repair-OEM-Replacement-Flexi-joint-55mm-OD/293221111512?hash=item44455716d8:g:i-gAAOSwHI5bs3Fg

Good luck

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 08:23:30 PM »
Hi There, Get a rear box and it looks like flange joint with springs and bolts to
             hold together but still flex at joint. The main pipe has lost the flange
             and the bracket to bolt onto. Check the other joints along the pipe
            as they mybe in same sorry state, If ok then mod needed at corroded
            flange end, Yes exhaust paste needed reuse the rubber mounts if not
           split and something like this to join the pipes. Measure diameter of pipe.
           I would install rear in situ with rubber mounts to then find best method of
           joining up both pipes
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Sleeve-Pipe-Repair-Connector-304-Stainless-steel-50mm-2/321543534011?hash=item4add7cf5bb:g:a8oAAOSwr81UMapZ
         or this   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Sleeve-Pipe-Repair-Connector-304-Stainless-steel-76mm-3/361072628610?hash=item54119b1382:g:DSwAAOSwcu5UMap1
        or even this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-FLEXIBLE-FLANGE-KIT-Exhaust-Repair-OEM-Replacement-Flexi-joint-55mm-OD/293221111512?hash=item44455716d8:g:i-gAAOSwHI5bs3Fg

Good luck

I don't fully understand what you're trying to tell me. Are you saying I could reconnect the old exhaust back box by using one of those pipe adapters?

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 08:56:29 AM »
The same happened to me last year. It happens if the bolts are done up too tight so the joint can't flex. From your photos looks like that's what went on. The flange has broken off your back section and is still bolted to the middle. The question seems to me whether you get the bolts and flexible washer with the new back box (parts 13, 14 and 15 on Jocko's diagram).
As useful as ever the Haynes manual says be sure to tighten to the correct torque but doesn't say what that is. It also says don't reuse bolts, springs or the 'olive' washer. The flexible washer is made from coarse wire wool so I don't see how exhaust paste would be useful.
EDIT Having looked at that flexible flange kit it should work (if the dimensions are right) and would use exhaust paste.

I'm afraid I got someone to replace mine (for about £60) and just have to hope they didn't over-tighten it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 08:59:33 AM by springswood »
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 09:38:39 AM »
If that is original exhaust on the car that is a remarkably long life !  Looks like the metal in the joint just thinned out with rust and gave way - exhausts do last longer since CAT converters were fitted to exhaust as the exhaust gasses are less acidic now and instead of the exhaust system corroding from the inside out it is now a case of from the outside in.  Exhausts on cars used to last about 5 years and the replacement ones could often give up just out of the 18 month guarantee, now OEM exhaust lasts in excess of 10 years - another case of cars and their equipment lasting a lot longer than they used to.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 05:19:29 PM »
The question seems to me whether you get the bolts and flexible washer with the new back box (parts 13, 14 and 15 on Jocko's diagram).
As useful as ever the Haynes manual says be sure to tighten to the correct torque but doesn't say what that is. It also says don't reuse bolts, springs or the 'olive' washer.

The flange has rotted off the back box. The OP will need a back box and a seperate fitting kit, which should include the bolts, springs and fire ring (gasket/doughnut part). Don't paste it up, it needs to flex and the gaps in the mesh soot up and make the seal.

Shame, the back box looks like it's got a tiny bit of life left in it  ;)

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 12:26:01 PM »
Well. Things obviously didn't go to plan! I bought a new exhaust and kit ready to go on.

Then this happened...

I don't know what to do.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 01:48:44 PM »
Looks like the middle section, Part No 11 in the drawing, needs replacing as well?

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 01:51:40 PM »
Looks like the middle section, Part No 11 in the drawing, needs replacing as well?

You're right. I should have inspected this more closely before. I have now ordered a new mid section. This will be here Monday or Tuesday and we will re-visit this job!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 07:34:23 PM »

You're right. I should have inspected this more closely before. I have now ordered a new mid section. This will be here Monday or Tuesday and we will re-visit this job!

You would have had to get those nuts glowing to get the bolts out.

You could cut the old nuts off with a grinder, most of that mess from the back box flange will fall off, then clean the flange up with a cup brush or something. It all depends what the flange cleans up like - it looks a bit crusty, but you never know... If it's okay, use a couple of new nuts and you should be away.

If you replace the middle pipe, you might have a similar problem at the cat end. The constant heating-cooling makes the bolts soft and snappy, you can't usually undo them without some heat... or cut them off.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 07:49:15 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 07:53:50 PM »
I had to replace the middlebox and it was "welded" to the cat so I just replaced that as well. Easier and as a garage was doing it, cheaper.

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 10:41:30 AM »
I had to replace the middlebox and it was "welded" to the cat so I just replaced that as well. Easier and as a garage was doing it, cheaper.

Don't tell me that! The £28 back box is becoming bloody expensive.

The garage didn't tell you that and then 'dispose' of the Cat for you did they  ::)

Tags:

anything