Author Topic: keyless entry  (Read 7870 times)

guest7931

keyless entry
« on: September 05, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »
There's a lot ado about hacking the keyless entry system. Even insurance companies threaten to ban cars equipped with this because they are a nice target for thieves as there are no traces of breaking into these cars.
I tried putting the key in a tin, but in vain: it still works, so the signal can still be intercepted I guess. What  can I do to make this system hackproof? And why can't the dealer switch this option off?

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: keyless entry
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 12:57:32 PM »
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/car-security/halfords-anti-rfid-theft-wallet?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Car+Accessories-_-Car+Security-_-448715&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=xaxlxatilw&istBid=tzwt&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:868555876|agid:49387671332|tid:pla-330870552471|crid:203456299185|nw:g|rnd:5858452092248199993|dvc:m|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:1007030&gclid=CjwKCAjw_b3cBRByEiwAdG8WqlGNuPpTuMUKhMfxJQZPMrKkL3MsMN7VniXQjQtSPe5Zf0j9yQAQ0hoCG3kQAvD_BwE
Saw this on the TV a few weeks back.
Others are available from other suppliers just posted this as an example.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

DaveBerks

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ Mk4 Crosstar EX
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 12:58:55 PM »
Use the buttons on the front door handles to lock the car instead of using the key fob ?

Reduces fob battery wear too (I hope).

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 04:55:30 PM »
Use the buttons on the front door handles to lock the car instead of using the key fob ?

I always do that but out of interest, how does that help?

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 05:25:58 PM »

I always do that but out of interest, how does that help?

It only helps if there’s a thief nearby who is scanning to pickup a signal when you press a button on the fob to replicate it. It doesn’t help if they are scanning your house to pickup the passive signal from the fob inside. This can only be avoided by putting the key in a signal blocking pouch or box. I read that sales of the good old fashioned steering wheel lock is on the increase because it’s probably the only way to secure a car with keyless entry

DaveBerks

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 05:52:23 PM »

Well, clearly we are all doomed then ! ...to borrow Private Fraser's words form Dad's Army.

Presumably just about anything else inside can be scanned too then. Sounds like we need to live in fortresses.
Seen MI5 anyone ?

DaveBerks

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 05:58:18 PM »

Thinking about this more. The key fob wont open the car from beyond a certain distance inside the house, so how can the fob be read from outside the house ? 

Secondly why would anyone want to steal a Honda Jazz ? They are so slow off the mark at traffic lights and roundabouts and accelerate gracefully sipping petrol like a fine Chablis....unless of course you went a little bit crazy and purchased a 1.5 he he. Oh you did ?

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 06:18:01 PM »
I don’t worry about the possibility of it happening as I like you don’t think they’ll bother for a Jazz.
There’s a video on YouTube of how it’s done I’ll have a go at linking it but I don’t know if it’ll work don’t have nightmares  :o

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 09:16:20 AM »
I would guess it would be high end cars that the crims target, it is a fact that anything wireless and anything connected to internet is not in any way secure 0 what is 'convenient' for owners is also convenient for the crooks - stuff like internet banking, keyless entry, wi-fi etc - and banks cover up the number of times peoples accounts are 'compromised' because it is bad for business.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything