Author Topic: Upgrading Honda  (Read 4443 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Upgrading Honda
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 09:58:16 AM »
Yes you plant your foot, but the rev's lag behind along with the pull, mother in law has a cvt, but just not the same instant response as the i-shift on paddles. In auto it's dreadful.
I think you and I are driving different cars, there is certainly no lag when I need to jump into a gap in the traffic.

Don't get me started on the dreaded I-Shift, where there certainly was a lag, particularly halfway across a junction, while it thought about changing from from 1st to 2nd gear. That was not fun when the there was a HGV speeding towards you!!

In my view the I-Shift is/was not an automatic gearbox, it was just Honda's poor attempt at automating a standard manual box, yes one could use the paddles, which did improve things slightly, but when I changed to CVT, I was much happier.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »
My 2012 CVT 1.4 averages 42.5mpg - over 6 years... (Fuelly). Lots of country roads, hills, passing places and town driving. When cold and out of our house I can drive uphill for 1 mile and average 14mpg...

Long runs about 53mpg at 70mph..

Son has just bought a 2012 Civic 1.8ES... quite liked it .. Easy to get in and out but I do yoga so body contortions are easy...even at 71..

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »
I can't believe no-one mentioned one of the best new features, the mk2 has space for your foot next to the clutch pedal.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 05:04:15 PM »
I can't believe no-one mentioned one of the best new features, the mk2 has space for your foot next to the clutch pedal.

The Civic has a proper dimpled rubber footrest at almost same level as clutch pedal, on longer motorway journeys I like the Civic because of that.  The space in the mk2 is at floor level so not ideal, but still nice to have.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:09:47 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

nigelr

• Approved Member
  • 'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.'
  • Fuel economy: 45 mpg
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 11:23:38 AM »
@smilertoo - I've noticed the same thing; I have a Mk2 and it seems more sluggish than my Mk1 2006 CVT, but I think that's because the power is in the upper rev range (over 4000 RPM) where I'm never likely to go for longer than a few seconds. It's tuned for economy, and it works (for me). The flipside is that it's pretty noisy at motorway speeds, but I still think for reliability the old VTEC can't be beaten.

PS quite right, the Mk2 is a well thought out car for driver comfort. I have no problems going long distances in it.

guest5565

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 06:59:03 PM »
Hi smilertoo

I too changed from a MK1 to Mk2, and it's totally different, powerband is different especially going up hill. In the Jazz MK1, I could use 4th gear at 40mph to go up this long steep hill near where I work, but in the MK2 1.4 iVtec, I kept having to use 3rd gear and even that felt sluggish.

The Civic is a very good car, although the sloping windscreen means that you don't get the same height as you would in the Jazz, plus the Civic in the back feel less airy and light, unless you get the panoramic sunroof.

I personally swapped my Jazz MK2 manual after 6 months of getting it, just couldn't get used to engine, plus every couple of seconds the A/C would kick in and during night time, the headlight would flicker from bright to dim. At 70mph then engine is reving around 3500rpm which is quite noisy.

Luckily, I managed to swap it for a Jazz MK2 CVT facelifted post 2012 model, and have been happy ever since.

The engine feels just like the old I-Dsi, as the the CVT likes to keep it around the 2000-2500rpm mark when you put your foot down, which is where the Jazz MK1 i-dsi torque range was, plus when going up steep hill, I have the option of S mode which is even better, and puts a smile on my face. During motorway @ 70mph the engine is nice and quite, relaxing, purring around 2000-2500rpm.

Oh and like others have mention, when you put your foot down, it really goes like a train, albeit the cvt will make a racket, but once up to speed it quietens down again. I personally think that the Jazz CVT is the bridge between those that like the i-dsi lower torque range, but also want the iVtec extra horsepower.

Tags:

anything