Author Topic: Battety drain  (Read 1603 times)

guest7830

Battety drain
« on: September 22, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »
Since thurs been getting a overnite battery drain from 12v to 5v
This is a replacement battery, 1st one was draining to 0.1v
Alternator reading 14.02v

Checked new battery today, went from
In 6 hours, boot n interior lights are off. Nothing pluged in.

Help

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Battety drain
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 06:55:43 PM »
I would unplug the aircon relay and heated screen relay ( or the associated fuse )  - any relay can stick in the closed position and because the main power does not go through ignition switch contacts they can drain battery real quick even with ignition key out - the aircon clutch coil will draw about 4 amps ( drain fully charged battery in 7 to 8 hours ) and heated screen will draw more - it is fairly common for relays to stick, there was a service bulletin issued a few years ago on 8 gen Civic to replace aircon relay because of contacts sticking closed with no power on relay coil.

You can check if power on heated screen by putting a voltmeter across the metal contacts on rear screen - but harder to do on aircon clutch.

You may find it easier to pull out the appropriate fuses for aircon and heated screen and mirrors as this will disconnect the main power to the relays.

A relay has a magnetising coil that closes main contacts when energised, the coil only draws a fraction of an amp but the main contacts carry a much heavier current. It is called a relay because you instruct the coil via a very light switch to close the contacts which then ' relay ' the command to switch a heavy current to the device being controlled.  The problem starts when you remove power from coil and contacts stay closed, the contacts should be opened by a spring, but sometimes spring breaks or not strong enough to open contacts if they are oxidized and stick together.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:06:10 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7830

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »
Thx will test rear screen n pull fuses in the morning .

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 01:23:21 PM »
On a similar note, we have been on holiday for 3 weeks with my wifes GE Si sat on the drive at home. When we got back home I thought at may be a good idea to plug battery charger in and top the battery up.  To my surprise my battery charger went from orange light (charging at normal rate ) to green light (fully charged and on trickle charge ) within 5 minutes. The battery is a 3 year old Yuasa silver battery.  I was well impressed,  my motorbike battery ( a Varta on the bike from new 3 years ago ) which I charge every month over winter, takes at least 30 minutes at full charge before it changes over to green light.

When it comes time to replace motorbike battery it will be a Yuasa AGM battery, which I had fitted to other bikes I had and never had a problem.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:25:48 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »
On a similar note, we have been on holiday for 3 weeks with my wifes GE Si sat on the drive at home. When we got back home I thought at may be a good idea to plug battery charger in and top the battery up.  To my surprise my battery charger went from orange light (charging at normal rate ) to green light (fully charged and on trickle charge ) within 5 minutes. The battery is a 3 year old Yuasa silver battery.  I was well impressed,  my motorbike battery ( a Varta on the bike from new 3 years ago ) which I charge every month over winter, takes at least 30 minutes at full charge before it changes over to green light.

When it comes time to replace motorbike battery it will be a Yuasa AGM battery, which I had fitted to other bikes I had and never had a problem.

All my bikes run on Yuasa batterys, all so my motorhome, never had a problem.

Plasma.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »

I had this issue,I sent a complaint to Honda UK,they got on to the dealer that sold me the car last year,
they couldn't do enough to help,(basically the repeat of what was done previously)

they had the car,I guess they changed a couple of relays ,its been OK since .

how long have you had it?
complain to the seller .

are they Honda dealers?

last resort,get an emergency jump starter kit .* I did,and have had to use it )

Tags: