Author Topic: Sat Nav Update?  (Read 3006 times)

Allex

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz VTEC Auto 2018
Sat Nav Update?
« on: April 30, 2024, 10:09:27 AM »
I did the last free one but I understand it costs £25 now. I had a notice recently that there is an update. Is it worth it?

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
Re: Sat Nav Update?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 11:19:30 AM »
did you have a notice direct from Garmin ? a lot of us are waiting for the update problems to be sorted.

all in the thread

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=16464.0 

Allex

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 11:25:38 AM »
OK, seen that post. I did get a notice so was it from Garmin? Don't know. Is the update worth it?

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 12:28:28 PM »
I'm passed the free updates now and not sure whether it's worth it as it doesn't appear to be linked to the traffic management system anymore, therefore a smart phone with a traffic app might be the best thing to use.
A colleague used to let Google direct him to and from work via his phone.
I lived close to work and didn't need it but do for the occasional long trip.
Came in handy prior to setting off for a hospital appointment when the motorway was closed, in car sat nav directions via the closed motorway whilst the phone diverted to avoid it.

Allex

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 12:33:13 PM »
Looks as if I should research the whole subject then. But I normally have a payg mobile and no internet connection but I could buy a few days for when on holiday I guess and use google but then I'd need to buy a mobile dashboard holder. More expense!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 12:44:59 PM »
Google Maps works perfectly well off-line. Download the maps you need via WiFi before you go, then switch off cell connectivity to ensure you don’t incur unexpected charges (although it doesn’t seem to use much data anyway if you already have the maps stored). Obviously you lose live traffic info though.

pebbles

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 02:21:59 PM »
OK, seen that post. I did get a notice so was it from Garmin? Don't know. Is the update worth it?

sorry, what I meant to say was did you get an email from Garmin to say they had fixed the update problem and it was now available for download ?

some of us have been waiting since February.

and no , I don't think the update is worth it if you can use Google maps etc. , much more info. especially with live data.

Allex

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 04:31:58 PM »
Ah, no. I got a message on the Sat Nav unit in the car. Garmin I have not registered. Should I? And where?

dayjavoo

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 05:15:18 PM »
There is a page on the Garmin Support website which deals with map update issues:

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=8vzoH5r1tRANWNbfmAyxvA

I notice that since I started to worry about this back in January they seem to have added a new topic under 'Related' issues which says "What to do if Garmin Express is not Offering a Map Update for 2016-2017 Honda Vehicles"

Basically this just provides a link to contact Customer Support.  I'm not hopeful -they have been thinking about this too long.  I suspect it's been relegated to the 'too difficult/ expensive to do anything about' category, but it may be worth registering your interest.

Allex

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 05:27:56 PM »
It says City Navigator Europe £21! I only want the UK so I guess it's not suitable or I'm wasting my money.

pebbles

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 05:43:35 PM »
Ah, no. I got a message on the Sat Nav unit in the car. Garmin I have not registered. Should I? And where?

give Garmin UK a ring , 02380524000. They know all about the Honda update problem ,  give them your email address and they will let you know when the problem is fixed , if ever !  ;)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2024, 05:38:21 AM »
As per a previous post, the old TrafficMaster RDS-TMC is no more as of April 2023.

TrafficMaster turned it off, nothing to do with Garmin or any car manufacturers.

This puts the old Garmin built-in units into chocolate teapot territory IMO

Garmin standalone PND's were seamlessly switched from TrafficMaster to Inrix which is way better anyway

Honda no longer use Garmin mapping on newer models, they now use 'Here' so as a result are Garmin not particularly concerned about fully supporting Honda ?

Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything