Author Topic: Dunlop SP2030 tyres - excessive wear on inside edge and cracking between treads  (Read 162722 times)

guest671

20k is good! My 2008 has done barely done 15k and I have noticed the front tyres are soon to become illegal. They are Dunlops and most of the wear is on the outer edge.

guest1521

Excess front tyre wear on the inner 'edge' around the rolling circumference of a tread is likely a symptom of excessive toe-out.

Outer 'edge' wear is likely excessive toe-in. (I don't think Jazz has any camber adjustment.)

Without an adjustment to correct toe setting, any new tyres fitted will wear out 'unevenly' and prematurely just the same as the old.

The excess wear can be on just an inch across the tread (as mine was) or over a 'quarter' (more or less) across the tread around the whole of the tyre's rolling circumference. If you look at it closely enough, the tread may appear 'scuffed/scrubbed/ feathered' in one direction or t'other across the tyre. Again, the wear - inch/quarter/whatever - is around the whole of the tyre's rolling circumference. (Otherwise the uneven wear may be caused by something else.)

At just £26 by an independent tyre fitter, the price of my front wheel tracking/alignment was well worth it.

The very curious thing for me was that the Honda dealer technicians, on two separate occasions a few months and a few thousand miles apart, pronounced the (obvious) tyre wear as within 'acceptable' limits. Well, I didn't consider the wear 'acceptable' at all and I didn't want to pay £45 for them to 'track/align' it without a second opinion and quote.

And so that second time I immediately drove a couple of miles to an independent tyre fitter who showed me the extent of the misalignment which he defined as 'slight.' However, unlike Ozzie's feedback of '1mm,' I can't recall by how much/little it was 'out.' It was too long ago - March 2011.

If I were ever to take a car to one dealer/indie/tyre fitter who then pronounces the tracking/alignment as 'OK' in the face of uneven tread wear around the rolling circumference, I'd go to another for a second opinion and a second check. Premature front tyre wearout due to incorrect alignment is just unnecessarily poor value for me. Tyre 'scrub' due to misalignment adds to rolling resistance and therefore consumes more fuel, too. 

OE Dunlops on a 1.2SE 59 Jazz... My front tyres would have been illegal by 18,000 miles, easily so. Yet now, with no change to driving style or to mix of roads travelled, they will likely do 30,000 miles albeit they were rotated to the rear when the alignment was done. While the evenly worn rears were rotated to the front...  to be able to check their wear as a result of the realignment job. 11,500 miles later and the wear is absolutely even across the tread and they, too, will do 30,000. (I don't usually rotate my tyres... except at tyre fitting when new tread ALWAYS goes on the REAR.)

If front tyres are wearing unevenly across the tread it's so worthwhile getting front wheel alignment checked/done! At least in my experience.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
The guy that did my alignment was a Honda nut, and was on his 16th Honda a Civic type R, but wanted an Accord next. He mentioned that the alignment should show 8mm, but one wheel was 7mm and the other was 9mm, as it was such a small amount did I want it adjusted? He agreed that being such a small adjustment it shouldn't have worn the tyres as it has so went on to explain about camber angles on full lock . . .  :)

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Looks like my tyre wear could have been due to lack of pressure in the tyres  :-[

I assumed they were all fine at 30psi but it was as low as 23psi!!!

oops

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
OOPPS ! I have a single strand of canvas showing  :o

I managed to get 26650 miles from the front pair of Michelin Energy tyres, I have now gone for Yokohamas £59 each, so I will see how they go.

Ironically I went back to the same tyre place that did my wheel alignment a month ago, they suggested a "Free wheel alignment check" as the tyre wear was uneven, so I agreed, and lo and behold it was "slightly out", so it was readjusted for free  :D

UncleZen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009, 1.2SE A/C i-Vtec
We just bough (well, in June) a Dec 09 Jazz 1.2 with 15K miles on the clock.
We just noticed that the inner inch of the front tyres was worn bald. I complained to the dealer and they did the tracking for free (I argued that they were like this when we bought the car and thats more than 2000 miles worth of wear). Tracking was adjusted slightly but according to the printout was within spec.
The dealer has also offered to fit us 2 new front tyres, whch we'll have fitted this week.
Very apologetic they were, selling us a car in that state.
Very embarrassed I was for not noticing the tyre wear at the time of purchase.
I will be keeping a close eye on the tyre wear from now on.

guest3250

Horses for courses with the tyres
The EX has way less choice and gives a bumpier ride - SO I am considering the
Yokohama C-drive as it would seem it has all the performance of the best of the rest - with
a more comfortable and quieter ride.
Harder compounds will last longer and softer will grip a bit better.
If you really want to be OCD (like me!) then you can look at a few sites where real world
people have input their own findings:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=74952408.110.14221&Cookie=&s_p=Tyres
(type in your tyre size - either 175/65/15 - or  185/55/16)
http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/?partnerDomain=adwords.google.co.uk_pneu_online&xtor=SEC-24-GOO-[Pneus_Online]--S-[pneu%20online]&xts=223987&gclid=CPzP98HojLICFYTMtAodPy8AEA
(again type in tyre size)
I feel that between these 3 independant sites you will find your ideal tyres.
I don't think anything is 100% perfect -
eg Continental Premium Contact2 - great wet and dry performance; not so good in the snow and
not the best tyre wear

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Geof777, after our Dunlops wear away I may go for the Continental Contact2.

guest3250

Geof777, after our Dunlops wear away I may go for the Continental Contact2.
Unless you are planning lots of snow driving - you won't go wrong on the PC2's
I do reckon there is not a lot to choose between Conti PC2, Bridgstone Turanza ER300,
Dunlop Fast Response and Yokohama C-Drive ...
But I have not driven all of them on this car obviously.
(This is only directed at the 185/55/16 wheels - on the 15 inch there is a better range of choice)

guest3250

Here's the thing:  Honda Jazz S, & ES = 175/65/15 - apparently no comfort issues or handling problems (that I have heard of) and a large choice of Tyres available at a reasonable price
Handa Jazz EX and similar = 185/55/16 - many report a slightly harder ride due to lower profile, Handling is good though - there is an over read on the speedometer @ shown 70mph actual is around 68 - but rolling diameter is marginally larger than the 15 inch wheel version.
Here's the question: Has anyone tried simply going up to 195/55/16?
Predicted effects would be: Posatives: Slightly less bumpy ride, nearer to correct speedometer reading, larger choice of tyres available.
Negatives: Small increase in rolling diameter, may reduce top speed (but who cares? - it would be slight) slightly reduced higher speed fuel economy due to slight drag increase (but probably not at lower speed) - possible additional charge from some insurence companies - but I doubt that.
195/50/16 gives an even smaller rolling diameter BTW
I have done some similar things to this on past cars always had a posative outcome.
I am, however, reluctant to mess with this car as it all seems to work together so well.

Comparing the standard sizes:
15" wheels  175/65/15 
  Sidewall: 4.48 in
  Radius: 11.98 in
  Diameter: 23.96 in
  Circumf: 75.26 in
  Revs/mile: 841.86

16" Wheels 185/55/16 
  Sidewall: 4.01 in
  Radius: 12.01 in
  Diameter: 24.01 in
  Circumf: 75.44 in
  Revs/mile: 839.92

Alternative 195/55/16 :
  Sidewall: 4.22 in
  Radius: 12.22 in
  Diameter: 24.44 in
  Circumf: 76.80 in
  Revs/mile: 825.04

Looks a little too big! - but I just wondered if anyone has tried it??

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
I would take a quick look at the Honda Fit forum here:

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-present/63430-would-195-55-16-tires-work-well-our-cars.html

The USA Fit owners seem keen to modify their cars...

guest3250

Very interesting - seriously doubtfull about changing the size - yet very frustrated at the limited Tyre choice
in this size!
205/50/16 was one suggestion - but that would ruin the economy and everything!
175/60/16 is possible - but returns to the limted choice situation - in fact makes matters worse!
Best stick with the same size I think - or possibly the 195/55/16 option
would be very interested if anyone has dabbled
(or equally any feedback on existing tyre choices)

guest3250

The other aspect is the Alloy wheels have already been scraped a bit
So aside from needing to clean that up and investigate the paint - a slightly bigger tyre might bulge
a little more and protect the rim slightly more...
I checked on Mytyres.com - generally lookes like the bigger size is about 5% cheaper
But of course there is a much bigger choice as well.

guest3250

I posted something similar in a completely different forum - and generally it is suggested that
different tyres are good with different cars and I should see what fellow Honda drivers prefer...
Edit:
I tried contacting Honda and they just directed me to contact my Local dealer - who are worse
than useless in this area and I will never darken their doors again - so it's down to my own investigations
and what other Honda users say...

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
I`d fit the 195/55/16 if I were you. You know the pos (better tyre choice, price) and neg but I doubt if you could measure it in the real world (mpg, top speed, more prone to aquaplaning (same weight on bigger surface)).

I`ve a GD with 175/65/14 and I could fit the next size up (185/60/14) but the sidewall would be lower (the tyre is more expensive) and the GD is famous about the firm ride (pre 2005), so I keep using the original size.

Tags:

anything