Author Topic: Do you rate your Mk3 Jazz as a refined Motorway cruiser?  (Read 12327 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Do you rate your Mk3 Jazz as a refined Motorway cruiser?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 07:41:10 AM »
Mind you, the other day I was sitting at a set of lights and I thought the engine had cut out. The rev counter said it was running, but I had to blip the throttle just to confirm it was still going.

I had that experience in my Mk2 but not Mk3.

However my opinion is probably not reliable as I rely on very high powered hearing aids and it might be down to how my aids amplify different parts of the Mk2 and Mk3 spectrums.

My Mk3 is wonderfully refined if I turn the aids off!

swampy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: don't own one yet
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 09:08:13 AM »
Many thanks for all your comments - I don't think it'll disappoint me on the motorway from what you've said.

Am going ahead and will place an order for an EX very soon. Will probably sell my Golf privately and buy from an online broker to save some cash - but deciding which broker isn't straightforward.

Trying to focus on brokers with a good track record and not necessarily the absolute cheapest ones to avoid any dodgy ones.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »
I bought my ex through Carwow and saved quite a bit 2 years ago.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »
I do confess to having a couple of Dings from the starter / flywheel starter ring when I've tried to start my already running car  ;D

guest1372

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »
I know the answer you'll get in a VW forum, and the one you'll get in a Honda forum so there is a bit of confirmation bias here, but you should really see if you can test drive one to satisfy yourself first.  I quite regularly have rental cars and the Golf is more comparable to a Civic hatch (or Astra, Focus etc.) than a Jazz.  The Jazz is quite a lot lighter and a bit smaller, although internal space is good especially rear seats.  You will notice the difference on the motorway - any lighter car will feel less planted than a heavier one.  The direct comparison is probably with the Polo.

The biggest shock will be going from a high torque diesel to a revving petrol engine but it does suit the car fine, it's just feels a bit alien after driving a diesel Golf.
--
TG

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 05:27:21 PM »
Just on CVTs (and definitely not wanting to start another debate on the subject) I am very interested in this 2,500 revs at 70 mph thing. The manual Mk2 is doing 3,500 revs (give or take) at 70 and I find it OK at that speed but losing a 1000 revs must increase refinement.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 05:38:40 PM »
If you check the gear ratios on the Honda website you will find that the CVT has a higher top ratio and a higher final drive ratio than the MT. This is why it accelerates slower than the MT car and has slightly better fuel consumption (under test conditions).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:55:38 PM by Deeps »

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 01:20:52 AM »
I am surprised at this because my mk 3 CVT is much quieter and smoother at 19000 miles that it was at 200. In fact when I first got it I was a little disappointed by engine noise compared to my fully in Mk 2.
I am not saying it won't get better once it gets more miles on it. Just that it was smooth and refined, with no cabin rattles, as I would expect from a new motor. My GD5 has almost 100,000 miles on the clock, and some days sounds like a bag of bolts. Mind you, the other day I was sitting at a set of lights and I thought the engine had cut out. The rev counter said it was running, but I had to blip the throttle just to confirm it was still going.

After driving diesels for many years, I find the almost inaudible tickover a little disconcerting.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:28:16 AM by MartinJG »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 08:17:12 AM »
The original question was about refinement for motorway cruising, and the answer must be subjective because different people have different perceptions. At motorway speeds, I find the engine noise is drowned out by the wind and tyre noise. That's probably similar to other cars in the same class, but if you're used to a bigger heavier car you might find it quite un-refined. Make sure your test drive includes a fast stretch of road.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »
That's good advice Colin - most test drives are too short and there's nothing wrong with asking to try the car out on in a situation that concerns you the most.

More and more these days there is a car for every type of situation - this is all to the good but it makes decision making that bit harder. Well worth doing the research.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »
That's good advice Colin - most test drives are too short and there's nothing wrong with asking to try the car out on in a situation that concerns you the most.

More and more these days there is a car for every type of situation - this is all to the good but it makes decision making that bit harder. Well worth doing the research.

Cars these days are so much better than they have ever been it is hard to find a situation they can't handle well.  You really have to work out how much time you actually drive on a motorway.  and not be put off a car by thinking it may not be ideal for something you only do 1% of the time anyway,  but is great for the other 99%.

Sure the Jazz can be a bit revvy,  but so are most petrol cars - and it does not hurt them one bit.  People used to Diesels accept the tickover noise and sometimes vibration without a problem,  but if you are used to the lower down power of a Diesel (which run out of puff as the revs rise and top out just over about 4K anyway,  so have limited rev range) driving a petrol car can leave you thinking they are 'under-powered' when that is far from the truth,  and arguably a modern diesel requires quite a lot of maintenance and this can outweigh any fuel saving for a private low to medium mileage owner.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:41:31 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 01:20:06 PM »
Driving my GD5 today, I was doing 2500 rpm at 60 mph. The engine was masked by tyre and wind noise. At no time did we have to raise our voices to hold a conversation. And a new Jazz is just so much better than my 11 year old 1.2 Litre.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »
Am going ahead and will place an order for an EX very soon. Will probably sell my Golf privately and buy from an online broker to save some cash - but deciding which broker isn't straightforward.
It may also be worthwhile looking through the ex-demonstrators listed on Honda's website https://usedcars.honda.co.uk/en/used-cars/approved-cars. You get the full warranty, possibly some extras (mats as a minimum) and perhaps the 5 year service plan chucked in. And you can still haggle over whatever price is listed.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 07:38:19 PM »
I've just come back from visiting my ageing Dad in North Wales. 190 miles each way (from Brackley(*))

On the way up (Wed) I sat in lane one with CC set at between 50 and 60 according to traffic and roadworks. Pump to pump was 63mpg and I barely had to adjust the audio volume.

Coming back today I sat around 70mph where I could which was most of the journey. Audio volume had to be turned up quite a bit but it wasn't unpleasant. Pump to pump was 49mpg although the weather probably didn't help.

Make of that what you will. What I make of it (for what it's worth) is that there's more than enough power under the bonnet to mix it up in lane 3. Also - it costs you quite a lot to do that ;)

(*)Northants. The other Brackley (which the BBC weather seems to think is more important) appears to be a collection of farm buildings in the nether regions of Scotland.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:40:44 PM by andruec »

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 09:05:29 PM »
The 1.8iVTEC 140bhp naturally aspirated engine fitted to Civic up till this year is a real Gem, very flexible and lots of oomph, and capable of good mpg.

Have to agree and on a recent motorway journey averaging 70 mph with cruise control on I was getting 46 mph which with a 1.8 engine and a heavier car than the Jazz I was quite happy with.

Tags: