Author Topic: Best Insurances for Jazz?  (Read 15412 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Best Insurances for Jazz?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 10:53:23 AM »
Insurance for a 80 year old with full NCB, with NFU (National Farmers Union) was £487.68 this year.
Shall be looking elsewhere next year! having seen what others are paying.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 10:54:12 AM »
Yes, a broker can be useful.

This Jazz we just bought is insured through a broker, we have been using one car for the last couple of years, and so the other half's proof of no claims is 2½ years old. Most insurers will not accept anything older than 2 years, despite her being a named driver on my policy for the last 25 years. The only one I know of is Co-op Insurance, who accept proof of NCD up to 3 years old, but they are expensive and they don't operate online - so insist on posting everything, no good if you need a cover note straight away.

Brokers are indeed a bit thin on the ground these days, but we found one that had a few options for expired NCD, and emailed the Certificate of Insurance within half an hour. Still not cheap, but it will preserve her full NCD and she can go where she wants next year.

Before anyone pulls me up about Co-op not having an online business, The Co-op Eco Insurance sold through comparison sites is operated by BISL, or Budget Insurance, and is run as a completely separate entity. They only accept proof of NCD up to 2 years old.

Another interesting point, when searching for a broker, I was pleasantly surprised to see that a couple of long established local insurance brokers were still listed in directories online. Ringing either of them put me through to a Swinton Insurance call centre...

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 10:56:58 AM »
Insurance for a 80 year old with full NCB, with NFU (National Farmers Union) was £487.68 this year.
Shall be looking elsewhere next year! having seen what others are paying.

My Dad is 83, he's not got a Jazz, but cheapest for his Astra always seems to be Liverpool Victoria (LV). Might be worth you trying them.

His insurance is due anytime now, but I think he paid under £230 last year.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 11:00:52 AM by sparky Paul »

guest5079

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 12:22:42 PM »
I am afraid as I have already stated it is a minefield.
When I put the point about RSA  wanting more on the online comparison site than I pay RSA  it was in fact MSE.  I stay with the people that organise my Insurance as they do the home insurance as well BUT the cheaper quotes I saw on MSE ALL have their caveats yes I could save money but I do not want a £350 excess. NOT because of my driving but it only wants one idiot to run into me without Insurance and where is my £350 going to come from. My Insurance has all the bells and whistles so I must pay for it remember it's not always you but when push comes to shove Insurers are hard headed so and so's and unless you have a bit of backing you are stuffed.
Culzean's comment about Ebay and Amazon is very valid, if you buy from a local factor you can at least go back and complain. My battery a Yuasa cost £55 from a factor I didn't see that sort of price on Ebay.
Good luck to those that get good cheap deals.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »
Sometimes you do get a competitive renewal, but after a year or two most insurance premiums start to creep up for no apparent reason. That's why I run it though comparison site every year, they keep your details and preferences, so policies should be comparable.

If renewal is competitive, great. If not, it's worth a call to your current insurer to see if they can do anything, most will readily drop the renewal price without any change in the cover, to retain the business. If they can't get near enough to the lowest quote from a decent insurer, I'm afraid I vote with my feet. It does bug me that insurers will drop their renewal price so readily when asked, I'm afraid most of them take advantage of those who keep renewing without question.

I sidestep comparison site quotes from companies of dubious reputation, such as BISL and their very many 'white label' brands.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 09:35:35 PM »
Hi,
When you're ready for insurance please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like.
Regards,
Dan

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 09:36:44 PM »
Another pet hate of mine is the practise of auto-renewal, I think it should be banned.

I am not the only person who has cancelled an auto-renewal, only to find later that the insurer has taken payment and renewed it anyway. I know personally of several people to whom this has happened, including my father. The cheeky buggers then try to charge penalty fees for cancelling the policy. When cancelling, make sure you get a name and reference from the call centre operator.

Having to call your current insurer to tell them not to renew is just another obstacle to put people off moving. The better insurers will warn you that your cover will end on a certain date, and if not renewed, that's it. I've even had a few insurers send a confirmation letter after the end of your policy, with written proof of NCD. I like that, and it makes me more likely to insure with them again in the future.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 09:40:40 PM by sparky Paul »

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »
Another pet hate of mine is the practise of auto-renewal, I think it should be banned.

I am not the only person who has cancelled an auto-renewal, only to find later that the insurer has taken payment and renewed it anyway. I know personally of several people to whom this has happened, including my father. The cheeky buggers then try to charge penalty fees for cancelling the policy. When cancelling, make sure you get a name and reference from the call centre operator.

Having to call your current insurer to tell them not to renew is just another obstacle to put people off moving. The better insurers will warn you that your cover will end on a certain date, and if not renewed, that's it. I've even had a few insurers send a confirmation letter after the end of your policy, with written proof of NCD. I like that, and it makes me more likely to insure with them again in the future.

Hi Sparky,

If we could just shed some light from an insiders perspective as to one of the reasons we 'Auto Renew' policies.

Of course if someone advises us they don't wont their policy auto-renewed then we would respect their wishes.  Most insurers/brokers will advise you that your policy is up for renewal within a reasonable time frame - usually two weeks before the due date.  Ours are generally by an email but we do offer the option of this being posted in the mail.   

As an industry we found that many people forget when their  renewal is and were driving around uninsured which unfortunately the consequences are quite severe - an IN10 motoring conviction, penalty points and the inevitable fine.  Naturally we wouldn't auto-renew if the policyholder had made contact during the period of receiving the renewal notice and the due date. 

Then unintended consequences are far more severe if you forget and are driving around - not only from the laws point of view but in the event of an accident where there is damage to a third party. 

Hope that this helps?

Dan

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 10:56:38 AM »
As an industry we found that many people forget when their  renewal is and were driving around uninsured which unfortunately the consequences are quite severe - an IN10 motoring conviction, penalty points and the inevitable fine.

I would respectfully disagree, that's the same fallacious argument most insurance companies use to force auto-renewal upon you. I doubt that "many people forget" if they are sent a renewal notice, then a subsequent warning that their insurance will expire on a given date.

I'm not frog marched to the MOT station every year, or have my annual RFL taken from my account without my consent, but I still manage to successfully organise both aspects of driving on the roads legally.

If you want auto-renewal, that's smashing. If you don't, then you shouldn't be forced to accept it. Insurers should ask at the time of purchase, it only requires an opt-in tick box online or on proposal documents.

guest5079

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 11:33:42 AM »
I think this is another case of you get what you pay for.
Every year about a month prior to renewal my 'broker' sends me a complete certificate/policy for  another year with a letter explaining what has changed etc and the price of renewal. This I suppose could classify as auto renewal BUT I am never caught out even if I did forget.
They inform me that if I do not want to renew just let them know. It has also over the past couple of years enabled me to get the price adjusted to my satisfaction. All it takes is an Email.
Again I reiterate it is a case of you get what you pay for. NOTHING is free.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 11:53:11 AM »
That is what my Insurance company does as well.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 12:13:02 PM »
I just think that insurance renewal should require some positive action from the customer to confirm that they are happy to proceed with another payment. Some companies force you to call to cancel just so they can give you the hard sell.

The vast majority of insurance brokers are absolutely fine, but there are some, often low cost online insurers, which are quite difficult when you want to cancel... and in some cases, don't even bother to cancel the policy renewal when requested.

It's a completely different market I know, but has any of you ever tried to cancel Sky TV by phone? It's like the Spanish Inquisition.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 07:18:47 PM »
Every year about a month prior to renewal my 'broker' sends me a complete certificate/policy for  another year with a letter explaining what has changed etc and the price of renewal. This I suppose could classify as auto renewal...

That absolutely qualifies as auto renewal.

The only reason they send a Certificate of Insurance out in advance is to give you a sense of obligation, as in "oh well, they have already printed the documents and done the paperwork". Years ago, nobody issued a cover note or Certificate of Insurance until you actually paid the premium, the only documentation you received was an invitation to renew.

Some companies still use the word "Invitation" on renewal documents, even though they fully intend taking payment by continuous card authority and auto-renewing your policy.

guest5079

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 02:16:31 PM »
I do not agree that what my broker does is the same as the run of the mill auto renewal. Firstly, the paperwork arrives a good month prior to renewal and if I don't want it then it is up to me to get off my but and cancel it. This is different the type of renewal SparkyPaul speaks of.
The second point is the 'broker' is a closed membership not available to the general public and the owners are the people it serves.
At this moment in time I am at a loss as to how to deal with EDF, not insurance electricity supplier.
I decided to change suppliers and this went through last June. The new supplier notified EDF that I had changed and I duly received a letter from EDF saying how sorry they are that I have left them. I cancelled the D/D to EDF but my bank failed to do so. As the result I paid two companies. The D/D was cancelled earlier this month with apologies from my bank. Meanwhile, I sent a letter to EDF asking where was my final settlement. Since when I have had TWO letters telling me that as I have cancelled my D/D I will have to pay more for my electricity and ONE letter explaining that as I have cancelled my D/D if I want to pay on line ( I don't and haven't) I must set up an account and TWO letters telling me I am some fantastic amount in credit and I don't have to do anything. WOT ABOUT MY FINAL BILL. IF this is the way auto renewal carries on then I do not blame SparkyPaul  for being cynical. No wonder EDF electricity is expensive.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2017, 05:45:33 PM »
I do not agree that what my broker does is the same as the run of the mill auto renewal. Firstly, the paperwork arrives a good month prior to renewal and if I don't want it then it is up to me to get off my but and cancel it.

That's how all auto renewals work. They rely on some people not getting off their butt and letting it carry on, it's surprising how many don't even read, or understand, the paperwork. I remember a neighbour was most upset when he saw that his insurance company had taken £460 from his bank, more than double last years premium. I don't think he had even opened the renewal letter, he just expected it to be something similar again.

Most insurers insist that you phone them to cancel, and will not accept cancellation by letter or email, even though you signed up online. They will usually accept variations to the policy by any means, but not cancellation. For that, you have to call.

The second point is the 'broker' is a closed membership not available to the general public and the owners are the people it serves.

I've been a member of several of these types of schemes, they almost always run in house by an insurance company now. I started off driving with Unilever Staff Insurances, they were based at Unilever head office and were absolutely the best insurance company I ever dealt with... unfortunately, it eventually went in house at Norwich Union, all the paperwork was churned out by their automatic renewal system, and up went the premiums.

I decided to change suppliers and this went through last June. The new supplier notified EDF that I had changed and I duly received a letter from EDF saying how sorry they are that I have left them. I cancelled the D/D to EDF but my bank failed to do so. As the result I paid two companies.

It's not your fault you paid twice, although the bank should really have done what you asked. Once a DD is opened it is up to the originator (EDF) to decide how much and when to take payment. If payments stopped when they should have, it wouldn't matter if you had cancelled it or not. Cancelling the DD should, in theory, prevent them from taking any more payments, however this can cause other problems as companies don't like it when you cancel DDs... and some even try to charge penalties. The answer is to get the company to understand what is going on, and sort the billing out.

If you don't have any joy, threaten them with the ombudsman.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:15:53 PM by sparky Paul »

Tags:

anything