Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 41522 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Headlights
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2021, 07:40:39 PM »
That's a real bugger as I've got the ClassiccarLED bulbs in my Jazz -2011, and they are really good.
I am going to call my garage tomorrow to get their view on it.

Personally, I think I would do what culzean says - just put it in for the test and say nothing. Unless the beam is all to cock, I can them being overlooked... and if you get a particularly fussy tester, just plead ignorance and swap them out.

Telling them they are fitted is only going to increase the chance that you'll have to remove them.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 07:42:47 PM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #166 on: February 08, 2021, 09:10:07 PM »
That's a real bugger as I've got the ClassiccarLED bulbs in my Jazz -2011, and they are really good.
I am going to call my garage tomorrow to get their view on it.

Personally, I think I would do what culzean says - just put it in for the test and say nothing. Unless the beam is all to cock, I can them being overlooked... and if you get a particularly fussy tester, just plead ignorance and swap them out.

Telling them they are fitted is only going to increase the chance that you'll have to remove them.

Don't bring them to attention of anyone, sparkyP is right, if beam pattern is good ( and we know it is) they will pass..otherwise a quick swap and free retest at most places.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2021, 09:35:53 AM »
I had the MOT yesterday, I was going to put the original bulbs back in but decided to leave the LED's in and say nothing.

I had a phone call from the garage mid morning, they said the Garmin was obstructing the drivers view so they would have to remove it for the MOT and the rear brakes were binding and the discs and pads needed replacing but no mention of the bulbs.

They called me later in the day to say it had passed and the car was ready to pick up.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2021, 09:42:02 AM »
Good news, we need to start a covert list of all the LED friendly MOT Stations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2021, 09:47:26 AM »
Lovely, another 12 months worry free motoring!  :)

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2021, 01:18:46 PM »
The regulations seem to have changed again:

From 22 March 2021, we’re changing these rules so that not all motorcycles and vehicles will fail the MOT test if their halogen headlamp units have been converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs.

Class 1 and 2 motorcycles must not be failed for the defect ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’.

Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim.

The motorcycle inspection manual will be updated shortly, and the ability to select the defect within the MOT testing service will be removed.

For class 3,4,5 and 7 vehicles, the defect ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ only applies to vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986.

Should a vehicle be presented for an MOT test with conversions before 1 April 1986 they must not be failed with immediate effect.

Vehicles presented with converted halogen headlamp units first used on or after 1 April 1986 will continue to be failed.

Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions/mot-special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2021, 02:27:19 PM »
Vehicles presented with converted halogen headlamp units first used on or after 1 April 1986 will continue to be failed.

The date seems a bit arbitrary. I wonder how they arrived at that?

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2021, 02:33:20 PM »
I can’t understand the logic behind the decision to allow older cars to have LED or HID headlights but not on newer cars, doesn’t make any sense to me. Surely the only way to pass or fail a car is on correct aim and beam pattern.

Tags:

anything