Author Topic: 2013 Jazz - Drivers door aperture seal.  (Read 4800 times)

Brian_I

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC ES Plus 5dr
2013 Jazz - Drivers door aperture seal.
« on: July 14, 2018, 09:37:20 PM »
Giving my new to me jazz a thorough check over, it looks like the drivers side door aperture seal is starting to split / perish.  The rustyness seems to be on the metal stiffener inside the seal rather than the actual car body work.  (see attached image).

While the car has a 12 month warranty from the (non honda) dealer I  bought it from, this wouldn't be covered under the warranty.

Is this an easy / cheap part to get hold of? And is it an easy DIY job to replace them? 

Thanks,

Brian.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: 2013 Jazz - Drivers door aperture seal.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 09:44:31 PM »
I have a bit the same on mine. Think I tore it with my heel, getting in or out. Like you, I was wondering about changing it. Mine isn't perished, so I had considered gluing it.

guest4871

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 10:19:48 PM »
For straightforward splits to a the rubber door surround, I have very successfully used:

https://www.stormsure.com/index.php/stormsure-flexible-repair-adhesive-15g-tube.html

and cannot recommend it too strongly for a permanent repair.

However, from the picture, your tears look like the rubber is worn through along a strip. Without edges which can be drawn together to form a bond, this might not work.

I had always found trying to permanently glue a split door rubber to be virtually impossible  - no more. It is also makes for a pretty invisible repair.

Izzy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 SE Jazz
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 10:47:43 PM »
Giving my new to me jazz a thorough check over, it looks like the drivers side door aperture seal is starting to split / perish.  The rustyness seems to be on the metal stiffener inside the seal rather than the actual car body work.  (see attached image).

While the car has a 12 month warranty from the (non honda) dealer I  bought it from, this wouldn't be covered under the warranty.

Is this an easy / cheap part to get hold of? And is it an easy DIY job to replace them? 

Thanks,

Brian.
[/quote

I thought Honda warranty covers everything bumper to bumper we had a tyre replaced under warranty that had a slow puncture. Have you approached the dealer (it must be a Honda approved car yes) if it is this should be covered under warranty.

Brian_I

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 08:31:42 AM »

Thanks,

Brian.

I thought Honda warranty covers everything bumper to bumper we had a tyre replaced under warranty that had a slow puncture. Have you approached the dealer (it must be a Honda approved car yes) if it is this should be covered under warranty.

Unfortunately it's not a Honda approved used car, as I bought the car used from a Ford dealers. Might pop into my local honda dealer to see what they could get a pair of door seals for (might as well replace passenger side as well). Unless anyone can recommend online sites for Honda parts?

I doubt I'd get much help from the dealer I bought the car from as they would just reply "it's a 5 year old car sir".
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:41:31 PM by Brian_I »

Brian_I

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 06:21:58 PM »
I think I may have found the right part on the Honda UK website:

https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ/2009/12-SE-TEMPTIRE/BODY-PARTS/FRONT-DOOR-PANEL/17TF0901/B__5320/6/22365

72310TF0003 Weatherstrip R. FR Door.  Seem to be a few on online auction sites for around £35 or so.  However will check with local honda dealer to double check the part required.  All the other seals on the other doors & boot aperture are in good condition, so I'll just replace this one. 

Brian_I

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 07:50:18 PM »
Rather than risking ordering a part off ebay, and it being either wrong, or in poor condition, I popped into my local Honda dealer yesterday, to enquire about the part.  No, they couldn't give me the part number, but they would be happy to order a part for collection the next day, paid for in advance...

£68.61 + VAT lighter in the wallet later, I picked up the part the next day. (And got a thumbs up out the car window from a honda salesman who was driving the same colour of Jazz as I had, but two years newer as I was driving into the dealers!  8) 8) )

Anyway, here is the part number from the door seal as new from Honda 72315-TK6-A01

Carefully removed the old door seal. it easily peeled  out, without removing any inner door trip or surrounds. Never saw any clips etc on the old seal, so perhaps it had been replaced previously? Luckily no signs or rust etc on the metal body work!

Starting at the top left corner I gently popped the new seal into place, working my way around the door opening clockwise.  Gently does it, being careful not to get outer edge of the seal (which you can see inside the car) trapped behind any plastic trim:

The key seems to be to get the top left corner piece fitted first, then work your way around. At times the seal looked like it was too big for the opening, but by gently smoothing it into place with the palm of my hand it eventually fitted into place:

:)

Pretty straight forward job!

The new seal is a bit "powdery" in places, I suspect that is just because it is new, it also looks a bit grey compared to the existing (5 year old) seals on the car. Probably due the existing seals on the car having been "polished" during the valet before I collected the car last week.

Is there any product I can apply to help keep the new seal (and the originals) in good condition?

Only other thing I could do with tidying up in the car is new rubbers for the brake & clutch pedal.

But at least that is the door seal replaced, even if it was quite pricey!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 08:23:57 PM »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Armor-All-GAA10013EN-Protectant-Finish/dp/B0001OZH1C

I have used this on car interior plastics after I saw what Australian sun can do to your dashboard,  also available in semi-matt to take some of the shine off plastic,  especially if you suffer from reflection of dash in windscreen (and the semi matt looks a bit more classy TBH) -  it is silicone based so no good for steering wheel or pedals (or the seat of your motorbike if you want to stay onboard ).  Stops the door seal trying to stick to the door aperture (especially in winter with ice) although haven't found this too bad on Jazz,  unlike the Punto that my wife owned,  sometimes I could not open the door without pouring warm water along the top,  armor all did help though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Armor-All-GAA10017EN-Protectant-Semi-Matt/dp/B002Q9FLHA
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:28:27 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Brian_I

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 05:18:30 PM »
Thanks for that link, Culzean. 

I found a bottle of Autoglym vinyl and rubber care in the shed, so I've applied that using a soft cloth to all the rubber seals on the doors & boot. They certainly look a bit newer now! And the new seal matches the rest colour wise now as it looks less new and grey, and now nice and black.   8)

Will get some of that Armour all stuff in semi matt though, as the dashboard reflection is a bit annoying! 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 06:45:20 PM »
I find my dashboard very reflective and annoying. It must be because the sun is so low in the sky, here in Fife!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 07:40:01 PM »
I find my dashboard very reflective and annoying. It must be because the sun is so low in the sky, here in Fife!

The Civic is much better than Jazz for not having annoying reflections, best thing is a piece of black velvet on dash,  which will kill all reflections stone dead.  Polarising sunglasses also very good,  but can cause problems with making instruments a bit hard to see and rainbow colours on some clear plastic covers.

I have these and find them great for driving in general, they rest the eyes from all sorts of glare.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polarized-Sunglasses-Yellow-Blocking-Marked/dp/B00IUJ5AO4/ref=sr_1_17?srs=1648905031&ie=UTF8&qid=1532025926&sr=8-17
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:47:32 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: