Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Brakes
« Last post by Molly on March 17, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »

Thanks for the tips on replacing the pads. I shall acquire the tools necessary next week :)
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Are these prices fair?
« Last post by Ben788 on March 17, 2018, 05:01:01 PM »
Prices are not that bad for tyres, do you have 15" or 16"  wheels ? (I'm guessing 15"  as 16" tyres are pretty pricey and it is a rare size).

Are you able to fits brake bits yourself ?

You can get rear discs for less than 40 each from  Eurocarparts or similar, and rear pads as well very cheap (rear brakes don't do much anyway).  I would go for better quality on front pads (and discs if they need replacing) as they do up to 80% of braking - but you can still get good prices. On some cars specially if your alloy wheels are very 'open' (big spaces between spokes) a lot of crap can get on the discs and calipers and cause rusting discs and problems,  steel wheels do protect the brake parts a lot better.   

As far as driving on tyres with 2mm of tread,  I would not do it as on wet roads they will aquaplane easily. 

Brake pads are an easier call as they will work as long as there is material present,  but should not really be used below 1.6mm (you may get a loud squealing around this figure as the 'alarm strip'  does its job and rubs on the disc, as material gets thinner there is a danger of pad steel backing rubbing on discs and tearing up the surface, this will definitely mean new pads and discs straight away).

Many thanks!
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Brakes
« Last post by culzean on March 17, 2018, 04:22:37 PM »
if you are going to do rear brakes you need a 'retract tool' to turn and push the hydraulic piston back in,  I have had one of these for many years and it makes the job easy.  There are also little raised pegs on the rear brake pad backing piece that fit into the same radial slots in the piston face as the pegs on the retract tool use,  make a note of where the slots are on the piston when you refit the pads (one of the slots horizontal to align with pegs) otherwise the pegs on pad backing plate can case a gap between piston and back of pad,  I have no doubt the pegs and slots will eventually twist and line up but much better to try and make sure they do straight away.

The front pistons just push back,  but because of the way the handbrake works to rear pistons have to be rotated as you push them back.   As pistons are pushed back brake fluid will be displaced back into the reservoir so make sure it does not overflow and make a mess (also a very good paint stripper).

You can use long nosed pliers to fit into slots and twist piston back in (RH thread) but I found the proper tool a lot better. Strangely Halfords sells the laser tool above for about 35.
Here's hoping they stay that way.
Miraculously the row of buttons are now illuminated.
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Mk2 OEM alloys
« Last post by Jocko on March 17, 2018, 02:38:24 PM »
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Mk2 OEM alloys
« Last post by culzean on March 17, 2018, 01:57:17 PM »

Having read a lot of good things about Nokians recently I think I might lump for a set of those once I get my cash back.

The Nokian WR-D3 on our Jazz and Civic are awesome, only other vehicles we saw when we were out in snow before Christmas (which was very bad by us in Shropshire hills) were LR Defenders and tractors, some ambitious 4x4 drivers on summer tyres were going nowhere.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Great value in some older models.
« Last post by Fido on March 17, 2018, 01:10:58 PM »
Just checked prices for 2005 Jazz automatics like the one we sold and replaced new in 2014. It had given 70000 trouble free miles. I see it's possible to pick up our old auto with less than 60000 on the clock for around 3000. I now doubt I'll ever buy another new car.
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Jazz Insurance
« Last post by culzean on March 17, 2018, 12:51:41 PM »
The statistics about accidents on the school run are clearly spurious, as far more women than men do the school run, so of course they are involved in more accidents.

School run only accounts for 10% of womens accidents - I have noticed much more aggressive driving by younger women as well,  women have overtaken men in binge drinking,  looks like they have in vehicle accidents as well.  Seems like if they are given the chance they can do anything better than men, having accidents, drinking, swearing etc. etc. (when I was an apprentice there were certain areas of the factory inhabited by women only where men would only go in pairs, swearing and general behaviour was far worse than the mens, as was bullying by some of the women).
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Are these prices fair?
« Last post by Ben788 on March 17, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »
Is that sheet from a Honda dealer?  The spectacularly mis-named Honda "Happiness" pricing for rear discs and pads is 290.

I got caught by this recently and I'm very sore about it - I thought there was a fault under warranty but the garage insisted it just needed new disc and pads.  The garage we use for another of our cars said they'd have been at least 100 less.

It is a sheet from a Honda Dealer well spotted!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10