Author Topic: What should come with a used Mk1 Jazz?  (Read 2362 times)

everythingscatter

• Registered Member
What should come with a used Mk1 Jazz?
« on: October 31, 2018, 07:07:58 AM »
So I finally passed my driving test, and I'm going to look at a couple of used Jazzes over the next week or so. Budget is £1.5k, so I'm looking at 05 or 06 plate cars, with 90k+ miles on the clock, but looks like there are some with good service histories in my local area.

I have a good idea of what checks to make when I go to look at a car and what to look and listen for on a test drive. What I don't know is what I should expect to be included with a used Jazz when I buy it.

Car manual and logbook obviously.

In terms of keys, how many should there be, and should one be a coloured master?

Do all Mk 1 cars come with a spare tyre?

In terms of toolkit, what should be included? I'm only looking at SE model cars, which I think makes a difference in terms of wheels (alloys or not)?

Anything else that I should getting for my money? If various bits or pieces are missing, what is easy and cheap to replace, and what should give me cause to walk away and find another car?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: What should come with a used Mk1 Jazz?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 07:42:54 AM »
Should come with two keys,  don't think Honda supply a coloured master.  If you are lucky you may get a space saver spare, although the wheel-well on Mk1 ( and MK2 ) is plenty big enough for a full size spare.  Toolkit will be just a Jack, jack handles and screwdriver,  if car came with alloys from new you may get 4 locking wheel nuts as well as the  normal nuts on the wheels ( I never use locking nuts, alloys are so common these days no-one steals them anymore).   Don't get hung up on service history, just test the car and if it feels right and no strange noises - go for it.  At least you are realistic about mileage ( and mileage is not a thing to worry about with a Honda),  very low mileage cars for their age can come with loads of problems that would not have happened on average mileage cars ( stuck EGR valve, choked CAT blocked injectors and more engine wear due to cold starts and short journeys).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 08:25:02 AM »
Hi, congrats on passing your test, I can only tell you about a 2003 1.4 SE, I don't know what they changed, mine came with a full size spare, which causes a bump on the carpet as the wheel is too thick for the wheel well, but handy if you need it, tool kit also contains towing eye and small handle to manually close sunroof if electrics fail.
Mine had 2 keys but only 1 remote fob, I bought another used fob for £20 on ebay, there isn't a master coloured key, I think later ones have buttons on key instead of separate fob. Mine had steel wheels.
Look out for rust at this age, get down and physically look underneath, usual places are the sills, that's the body panel  below the doors that runs between the two wheel arches, also around the rear wheel arches. There shouldn't be lots of oil around the engine bay or on the bottom of the engine, look in the filler cap for whitish sludge.
There are also problems with the steering which is electric not hydraulic and noisy gearboxes in the low gears. It should drive, steer and brake smoothly. Also known for rear wheel bearings going prematurely, this will be a rumbling noise and possibly vibration from the rear, not a massive problem to fix as they are built into the hub they are quick to change, I paid about a £100 each fitted on mine using non-honda parts at independent garage, they've been fine for about 8 years since.
Despite all this, the Jazz was without doubt the most reliable small car of its era and a good one will last you years,
Enjoy it, first cars are something you remember for ever, I still remember mine, a 1978 mini, it was crap!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 09:10:07 AM by MicktheMonster »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 08:41:33 AM »
When buying a used car, especially one that is 12+ years old, what remains of the original bits and bobs that came with the car can vary quite a bit. That said, Honda drivers tend to be older, and more careful than average. I was lucky with ours, it was a cheap high miles car but came with a full history, all the books, and a box file stuffed with receipts - lovely.

A 2006 car should come with two keys with integrated remote locking, a spare wheel, probably a spacesaver, jack, simple toolkit and towing eye in a vinyl pack, a folder with the manuals and service book, a key codecard, and a locking wheelnut key, if it has locking wheelnuts for the alloys.

Ask to see the logbook, they should have it in their possession, but the seller will normally send it off for you, so you won't get to keep it. A private seller may pass the logbook to you, but dealers and many private sellers will insist on sending it off themselves.

If anything is missing, the minor bits can usually be found easily at a scrapyard or on ebay. A missing key can be replaced, but they aren't cheap for a genuine one, so insist on two keys - you will need the key codecard that has all the details the dealer needs to get you a new key, so make sure you have that. There is no master key with these.

I think the main extras with the SE are alloys, have a good look at those as they scuff easily, a better music system and electric windows in the back. There's probably a few other bits, but don't overlook a good S model - alloys of that age are nothing but trouble, and you might be thankful of a set of steel wheels in the end.

The Jazz is generally a well made and reliable car, but it does have it's share of niggly problems which can be fixed relatively cheaply. The main deal breakers I would look out for are gearbox and steering problems.

Listen for whining in lower gears, and a dry bearing noise in neutral when you let the clutch up. The engine should be very quiet indeed, so these noises do stand out more than they would on other cars. The electric power steering is not heavily assisted, so can feel heavy compared to other small cars, but it should be easy enough to turn when stood, with the engine running. Look out for any notchiness or stickiness in the steering, especially at speed. Try to take the car for an extended drive if you can, as this problem can manifest itself when it's warmed up. This can be a difficult and expensive problem to rectify, and not uncommon. Many mk.1 Jazz owners just put up with it, but I found it very irritating indeed.

If you are spending any sort of money privately, make sure there is no finance or logbook loans outstanding on the car. Logbook loans aren't enforceable legally, they have no legal charge over the car, but it doesn't stop these companies sending heavies round to the current registered keeper - it's just hassle you don't need. However, if there is finance outstanding, the car is not the keeper's to sell.

Finally, I'm not sure how old you are, but as a new driver you need to get insurance quotes for a Jazz. They are not the cheapest small car to insure, when I was looking at cars for my daughter, the cost of insuring a Jazz made it a non-starter.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »
Look for the tracer lights in the wing mirrors, this tells you it's the face lifted model, 56 reg onwards if memory serves me right.
Happy motoring.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 11:03:03 AM »
Don't forget to check the rear tailgate/tyre well for the dreaded signs of leaking. If you open the tailgate and examine the area where the rubber roof strips sit you will see a pressed joint. The original adhesive/compound is prone to dry and crack a few mm's, enough to allow the ingress of water which runs down the inside of the panelling (jambs) and into the well. Plenty of examples on this site. Not the end of the world but you are better off without that problem. Check the steering geometry/joints for wear. Tyre tread is a good clue on tracking. Dealers have their own insurance cover but if it's a private sale, you need to make sure the insurance covers everything if you are going to test drive. In your case, you are a first time buyer so that might be a problem as you will not already have insurance cover. If you know anyone with a bit of mechanical/driving nouse, try and persuade them to accompany you. That should help.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 11:51:04 AM by MartinJG »

Skyline84

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Honda Jazz 1.4 SE
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 12:21:44 AM »
I have very recently purchased a Honda Jazz (2 days ago, in fact). I was originally looking for a 2005/2006 car in your price range. I looked at quite a few, all of which had between 90,000-110,000 miles. I wanted a 1.4 and preferably in SE specification. Colour wise I wasn't too fussy. At this age, it's all about condition and service history.

I ended up buying a 2004 1.4 SE in blue, with only 2 owners from new, 69,000 miles on the clock, with a full service history from a local Honda garage and complete with 12 months MOT (no advisories). The gearbox bearing had recently been replaced (a common issue I've heard), and it had the clutch replaced and a new exhaust centre section fitted as part of the sale (I can be very demanding!). The bodywork and interior were very clean, and the full service history and work recently carried out swung it for me, even though it was a little older than what I was originally looking for. 

They seem to be pretty reliable cars, but check for a service history as with any car you buy you will enjoy many happy miles of motoring if it has been well looked after. Don't discount unpopular colours either!

The other advice already given is sound, and if you know someone who knows their way around cars ask for a second opinion, it always helps.

everythingscatter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 06:51:46 PM »
Wow! Thank you so much for all the amazing advice guys. It is really, really helpful.

I was aware of some of these faults to look for, but not all of them, so I've definitely got a more complete checklist now.

I ve already spent hours playing around with insurance quotes, which is how I ended up with £1500 as my sweet spot to spend on the car itself. I'm in my 30s, which helps, but live in an expensive local area for insurance, which doesn't.

I guess all I can do is look at a few cars, check condition and what comes included and base a decision on that. I'll be taking a very experienced driver with me, for piece of mind (and a lift!).

I haven't even bought a Jazz yet, but if the community on this forum is anything to go by, I've definitely made the right choice of car! Thank you all.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 08:41:52 PM »
Two keys, both are identical but there should be a tag attached to one of them with a barcode. An '04-on Jazz with remote locking will have the remote integrated into each key fob. (Earlier cars came with one on a separate remote).

Space-saver spare wheel. No maybe about it, it came with the car when new and should be included. If not, 2nd hand ones shouldn't be expensive.

Alloy wheels come with locking wheel nuts so check the thing that fits onto the wheel brace is included.

No radio codes on Mk1s but oddly on Mk2s.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 10:33:52 AM »
Hi.
Did you try ourselves for insurance at all?
Regards,
Dan.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 04:12:04 PM »
Hi there. Not sure what part of the country you are in, but I have my son's 2005 '55' Black Jazz SE (111,000 miles) sitting on my drive not being used much. I drive it once a week to keep it ship shape. It has all the things on your list and we have had it since November 2013 so any issues with it are already ironed out. It has the spacesaver wheel included and has 4 new steel wheels as the alloys are a little corroded. They could be refurbished if necessary. Thing is, with it being his first car, it has it's fair share of scrapes and dents. This can be an advantage in a first car, since you are not too worried about adding to the collection. But it has never been in an accident. Oh, and I removed the parcel shelf for some reason and now I can't find it. And Honda say the air-con is possibly beyond repair. My local garage reckon they know someone who can fix it for a reasonable price, but it has never been worth it to me. Oh, and it has a towbar, but I have never used it.

It has been, and still is, a very reliable, comfortable and economical car. You will be well pleased if you do get a Jazz. If you want this one, it could be yours for much less than you are looking to spend.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 04:14:15 PM by richardfrost »

Tags:

anything