Author Topic: Electronic Quirks  (Read 3485 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Electronic Quirks
« on: November 29, 2015, 10:11:59 AM »
Having been driving my 1.3SE for around a month now, I have to say I think Honda have done a pretty good job. All the important things like performance, comfort, versatility, economy, etc are what I expected and what I wanted. But some of the electronic driver aids are a bit odd in their operation; I can't quite decide whether any of the following are faults or just foibles I'm going to have to get used to.

Lights
•   I won’t repeat what others have said about the auto lights, apart from noting that they do seem over-sensitive compared with my previous car with this feature (Renault Scenic).
•   Sometimes when I unlock the car with the remote the headlights come on … and sometimes they don’t. May be associated with whether – when the car was locked previously – the lights were left to auto-off after delay or were switched off manually. Or maybe it’s the dreaded auto-lights again.
High Beam Assist:
•   Sometimes this switches off when I flash the lights by lifting the stalk … and sometimes it doesn’t.
•   Sometimes I find I’ve managed to switch it off accidentally without knowing why, I’m pretty certain I haven’t manually switched to high beam or flashed the lights.
Idle-Stop:
•   Mostly does what I expect, but when it doesn’t it’s almost impossible to know why. Just experienced it not working with the multi-display saying it’s because of the A/C … but the A/C wasn’t switched on. You seem to get this warning when the ventilation is set to “screen” (fully clockwise), which is pretty confusing.
Traffic Sign Recognition
•   Generally works OK (although can get confused by signs on joining roads), but recently I managed to complete a 15 mile commute without it “seeing” a single sign. Must have accidentally switched it off somehow, but the manual doesn’t suggest how that might have happened. I won’t be trying the intelligent speed limiter if the sign recognition isn’t reliable.
Infotainment
•   Having to acknowledge the “take care when driving” warning on the start-up splash screen every time is annoying.
•   Touch screen can seem a bit insensitive (or maybe I just keep missing the right part of the screen), and you can't operate everything from the steering wheel buttons. Sometimes several taps are necessary before it reacts which is not good because it takes your attention off the road. It would be handy if one of the steering wheel buttons acted like a mouse click to activate whatever option was highlighted on screen, but if this exists I haven’t found it yet.
•   Got a strange error on start-up one day, something about “Service not started”. It went away eventually after much cancelling, ignoring, and re-starting the radio. Still don’t know what that was.
•   Having eventually found the settings to enable RDS traffic info when listening to DAB, the radio now interrupts for traffic warnings and you get an on-screen option to cancel which is all good. But it doesn’t announce the station broadcasting the traffic like my old Scenic’s FM radio did, so you don’t know whether it’s relevant or not. Also, if you do interrupt the traffic broadcast because you want to get back to what you were listening to, the radio can “hang” and all you get is silence.
•   Screen brightness can vary suddenly, you’re driving along normally and suddenly the screen flashes up to full brightness unexpectedly and can then dim immediately again. I know it’s sensitive to external light levels but I’d expect a more gradual change. May be associated with the hyper-active auto lights if they’ve suddenly switched off.
•   Disappointing selection of apps in the Honda app centre.

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
Re: Electronic Quirks
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 11:17:41 AM »
I have had my SE CVT  for just over 2 months now. I can't comment on all the issues raised but hope the following observations help.

Idle Stop - I believe that when the ventilation is set to screen it automatically turns on the aircon even though the switch is not illuminated. Similarly if the idle stop is in operation and you set the ventilation control to screen the engine restarts.

Screen Brightness - I believe that the system is trying to distinguish between low daytime light levels (full brightness) and nightime (screen dimmed). It does not always do this successfully!

Lights - Regarding the lights coming on when car is unlocked, I have not experienced this myself but it could be associated with the "Light you home" headlamp delay feature which I have disabled on my car. Just guessing, but possibly if light levels are low enough the headlamps come on to light your way to the car. Could be useful in unlit areas.

App Centre - totally underwhelming

Nigel

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »
Idle Stop - I believe that when the ventilation is set to screen it automatically turns on the aircon even though the switch is not illuminated. Similarly if the idle stop is in operation and you set the ventilation control to screen the engine restarts.

Thanks Nigel. I know that happens with climate control, but mine has manual heat & vent so I'd be a bit surprised. I didn't see any reference to that in the manual (but it is >500 pages so could have missed it !). But if that is happening it would certainly explain the display indicator. I'll see if I can detect any evidence of A/C running with the light off, you can usually hear the compressor motor.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 07:00:31 PM »
I have had the auto idle stop fail to operate without it giving any message at all on the multi-function display. Has anyone else experienced this?

I also have an insensitive touchscreen. This turns the warning prompt into a safety hazard because having to keep stabbing the screen with a finger is an unwanted distraction.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

jazzygirl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 07:57:46 PM »
Yes agree with some items of raised in this thread.  Very 'hit and miss' to get the screen warning to clear.  I am also trying to work out the settings... I like to have front screen on all the time to keep it clear  with warm air to footwell.  I need to keep an eye on this and reset regularly. It seems to have a mind of its own.   I have to work out what is going on between 'climate control' and air conditioning.

I must admit to cancelling the 'idle engine turn off feature' now that I have found the right button to do so (down in housing that gearstick emerges from.  I can often be in heavy traffic and creeping along a few cars at a time.

My clock brightens up if I activate the screen... I can do that without selection any function.  It is nice to see the full set of stations displayed on the screen for FM radio otherwise it is a question of scrolling thru one by one with the steering wheel controls.

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 08:02:10 PM »
Following comments apply to a model with manual transmission and manual heating & ventilation controls.

Checked this out today. When you push the A/C button, whatever position the mode selector dial is in, there is a distinct change in machinery noise as the A/C system starts up. You don't get that just by turning the dial to the screen position, so I think the suggestion that the A/C starts without the indicator light is incorrect. Also the restart when you turn the mode dial clockwise to "Screen" only applies to CVT models (see p.207 of the instruction book): if you try that on a manual model the multi-display asks you to depress the clutch pedal in order to restart (bottom illustration on p.100).

I have had the auto idle stop fail to operate without it giving any message at all on the multi-function display. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sorry John, provided I do everything I need to do for it to work I always get a message either saying it's functioning or it's not. So doing the following (on a manual transmission, I think it's different for CVT) ...
- Car stationary
- Handbrake on
- Gearstick in neutral
- Foot off clutch
... should produce the "Idle-Stop activated" message shown on p.100. If one of the various inhibiting factors is at work and preventing it from functioning, then you get one of the messages on p.109-110. Although as I've discovered, the one with the A/C symbol actually means you've got the ventilation set to demist the screen and seems to be nothing to do with the A/C. And the top one on p.109 doesn't really help explain which of the many preventing factors is getting in the way.

Tags: