Author Topic: Servicing for my Honda Jazz 2005  (Read 987 times)

seeknp

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 I-DSI SE CVT-7 5dr 2005
Servicing for my Honda Jazz 2005
« on: August 07, 2022, 01:35:30 PM »
HI.

My wonderful 2005 Honda Jazz is due for a MOT at the end of the month.
Currently its milage is only about 34700 miles.

I am wondering what servicing is required for it.

It looks like most schedules do not make provision for a 2005 Jazz with a very low mileage.

Any ideas please especially from any owners who have the same year Jazz and similar mileage.

Thank you

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
Re: Servicing for my Honda Jazz 2005
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 02:55:18 PM »
The only servicing I ever need to do is change oil and filter and clean spark plugs.
Also check air and cabin filter every 6 months or so, and wiper blade condition.

Mines currently sitting on 157900 miles.

That low mileage I'd just go for an oil change tbh.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 08:19:53 PM »
I would change the plugs. All eight of them. The DSi doesn't use the long-life plugs so needs the plugs changed every 25K. Plugs, oil and filter, air filter and pollen filter need to be changed. Unless you have a service history I would change the CVT oil as well.
My 2006 1.2S has done 149,000 miles.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 07:14:28 AM »
Speaking in general terms service schedules  includes things that deteriorate due to mileage, but also due to age.

Unfortunately an exceptionally low annual mileage tends to mean short and infrequent journeys  which  is regarded as a harsh environment for an engine.Most engine wear  occurs within the first 10 minutes  until the engine warms up properly.  Parts will be running dry of oil until warm oil fully circulates and ,condensation from a cold engine,and petrol rich fuel mix  can contaminate and dilute oil ,until it gets hot enough for it to evaporate naturally.  (Thats why even if you do very few miles its recommended to change the oil annually. )

So I'd say, service the car as if its done about 60K miles and temporarily ignore its age.  If long term 'full service items such as changing gearbox  oil,   rubber belts, etc   (and brake fluid, which can absorb moisture)   have not yet been done because  its not yet reached the recommended mileage, do them now.  (even if mileage wise its 'early'. )

But the age of the car will affect other areas that may not be incuded in a service schedule.   Rust and other corrosion  for instance and fluids such as coolant can deteriorate with age.  . Rubber parts  can perish regardless of mileage . Rubber brake hoses and suspension bushes  can crack.Old tyres may crack in the side wall or in the tread, long before the tread has worn down.   These safety issues should be picked up at the MOT, but its better to get them rectified before then. You may getter a better deal price wise.    Also some things that may not be part of an mot such as perished  coolant hoses, or cracked rubber drive belts  which could result in catastrophic engine damage. 
A competent and trustworthy garage  may check these things for you anyway during a service. Or if you ask them to.An inspection rather than a service, and they might not charge much, or even do it free   It might bring them more business  ;)  But be cautious of going overboard  .There is  truth in the old adage "If it aint bust dont fix it", and some things  whilst less than perfect , may be acceptable for a car of its age,and its value may not justify  extensive work.  But some things you ignore at your peril. 

Brake parts such as discs  can also suffer from excessive rusting   in a car that doesnt get much use.   Some deliberately hard braking can help clean them up.     A bit too late for this years MOT   but some fuel   injector cleaner in the petrol fuel tank may improve  emissions results  and give a smoother engine and better mpg.  Read the label. Some products claim improvement with just one dose , others are intended for regular long term use.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 07:26:09 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 09:22:54 AM »
First off take it to a garage you have been happy with & that has undertaken previous MOTs.
How long since last serviced?
As ever change the oil filter blue Honda with the new oil. You can always supply the garage with parts & fluids
Cox Honda parts are well recommended by this forum.
Enjoy driving your Jazz.

Tags: