Author Topic: Juddering Jazz  (Read 5227 times)

guest6804

Juddering Jazz
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:06:25 AM »
I have a 2002 1.4 Jazz CVT with 40,00 miles completed. The car developed a problem with juddering. Usually at low speed once the engine had warmed up. On the open road everything was fine. With gentle throttle in town, it was juddering badly. Taken to local garage who suspected sticking in the throttle housing. This was duly stripped and cleaned and we were advised to drive the car for the car to relearn parameters. It improved for a couple of weeks, but the problem has now returned. It's also 'lumpy' at higher speeds now. The car was serviced less than 2,000 miles ago.

Rather than repeat the process, I thought I would seek advice from the forum.

Many thanks
Peter

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
Re: Juddering Jazz
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 01:52:37 PM »
I've not had the problem myself with my 2008 CVT but I've seen it mentioned many times on this forum. The cure seems to be replacement of the CVT gearbox oil, a special one from Honda. Don't use any other make. Honda dealers will do it for you and it's not that expensive. Oil and labour £75.00 at my local Honda dealer.

Mike.

fisherman

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 09:04:08 PM »
Correct! get the right fluid anto the box, problem solved, it may need doing again after a little while. If yours id red in colour then it is in need of a change.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:45:14 PM »
Id put my money on the EGR valve, you may get away with cleaning it, but it may actually need to be replaced.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=5345.0

guest4761

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 04:46:26 PM »
I tried everything thinking it was the egr. In the end it was spark-plugs. I was also getting a slight judder as I moved off or put my foot down to move off quickly. Problem eliminated after transmission oil replaced. With 50,000 miles on clock the cost at Honda dealers £75 for oil change. £65 to replace the 8 spark plugs.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »
I tried everything thinking it was the egr. In the end it was spark-plugs. I was also getting a slight judder as I moved off or put my foot down to move off quickly. Problem eliminated after transmission oil replaced. With 50,000 miles on clock the cost at Honda dealers £75 for oil change. £65 to replace the 8 spark plugs.

I would bet good money that the rear plugs had never been changed (and maybe not front either if Honda dealer serviced it  :-X )- the gap was probably big enough for a bus to drive through.   2002 - 2008 GD did not have Iridium as standard (Think Honda only fitted them to later models because they are such a pain to access).  £65 to replace 8 plugs is a bargain.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

finn_mccool

• Approved Member
    • The Camper Vansit
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4i-DSI SE Sport
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 07:42:38 PM »
Genuinely confuses me that some garages get away not changing the rear plugs.

I know it's laziness, but it really isn't any extra effort, and I don't have a fully equipped garage!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 07:53:41 PM »
Genuinely confuses me that some garages get away not changing the rear plugs.

I know it's laziness, but it really isn't any extra effort, and I don't have a fully equipped garage!

Think a lot of garages may not even know that its a twin plug engine,  they find the front four and think that is it.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4761

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 09:09:25 AM »
Took my Honda Jazz to In 'n Out garage and asked him to replace my 8 spark plugs - technician didn't think there was 8 until he went out and looked for himself. Charged £65 to replace all 8 with NGK plugs and solved my juddering/intermittent "missing"  problem.

Transmission oil change cure the judder in my automatic gear box.

Just driven 1000 miles since and it's perfect, like a new car again. Mk1 2008 with 51000 on the clock.

guest4219

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 09:32:03 AM »
I have a 2002 Jazz CVT which is low, low mileage (44,000). The judder was becoming a touch intrusive, so I sourced some genuine Honda CVT oil online from Cox Motor Parts and got Haldord's Auto Services  to drain and refill as an add-on (£25 ) to my annual service and MOT. The old oil had been in for two years so it was tie for a change by effluxion of time. :-)
An immediate improvement, plus less jerk on take off from stop.
Do it regularly, fellow CVT owners.

Tags: