Author Topic: Idle stop, on or off?  (Read 19279 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Idle stop, on or off?
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2017, 07:01:58 AM »
I thought maintenance free batteries just meant you did not have to top them up with distilled water every so often.

That is correct, most "maintenance free" batteries have a sticker or a glued down cap across the top which covers the cell filling caps. As I said above, the cell vents have vapour traps which reduces the electrolyte loss and the requirement to top up with distilled water.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2017, 07:47:19 PM »
How much are replacement batteries for the Jazz? It was £50 for my last Jazz and since it lasted the entire four+ years I owned the vehicle doesn't sound very expensive. Of course if you can make a battery last longer then good for you and good for the environment. It just sounds like too much hassle to me if you're triggering warnings from the vehicle by doing it.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2017, 05:03:44 PM »
I'm a bit surprised that other members find the Stop/Start feature a hassle.
In my normal driving mode, it almost never actuates, unless I brake to a stop heavily and even then the pedal pressure has to maintained, very much over what would be required, simply to hold the car stationary.
Of course, if you are stationary at traffic light for example, then the car should be in neutral, with the handbrake on, to avoid blinding the driver behind you.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2017, 06:07:27 PM »
Of course, if you are stationary at traffic light for example, then the car should be in neutral, with the handbrake on, to avoid blinding the driver behind you.
Sadly not possible with the CVT version. The engine will always restart when you release the brake pedal regardless of what position the gear selector is in. It's common across all automatic vehicles with automatic gearboxes. I've no idea why but unfortunately with automatics if you want to keep the engine off while stationary you have to keep your foot on the brake pedal :-/

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2017, 08:18:41 PM »
I have found another reason to disable the stop start. During the recent mini heat wave when the car registered an external temperature of 34°C on four consecutive days and I was using the car a lot, it keeps the aircon working.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2017, 09:47:39 PM »
I have found another reason to disable the stop start. During the recent mini heat wave when the car registered an external temperature of 34°C on four consecutive days and I was using the car a lot, it keeps the aircon working.
The system is designed so that if the cabin temperature is high and requires aircon to cool it, then the engine will not stop.  At least that is how mine worked during the hot weather.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2017, 10:59:08 AM »
If turning off my stop start is not effecting my fuel consumption how can it be effecting the cars emissions?

Your car burns fuel when idling and stop start is disabled therefore it will burn some be it miniscule amount of fuel and contribute to CO2 emissions into the atmosphere. Maybe not harmful if it is just one car but take into account all the millions of cars on the road then it becomes a much bigger issue. And if the manufacturers didn't include stop start on Cars then your road tax would be higher depending on which band of tax your car falls into. Would you rather pay more car tax! Like I said I don't find the Jazz stop start to be any problem at all but each to their own!

I think also the benefit of idle stop is localised in urban high traffic density areas, rather than global.

Ooops just realised I have just replied to an old post ::)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:00:47 AM by mikebore »

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2017, 11:05:19 AM »

I have discovered this as well.

With all the situations that Honda have found to automatically disable idle stop, they might have included this one. Mine works like Deeps's not ColinS's.

BTW, I vaguely remember a comment earlier that idle stop/start was noticeable and unpleasant for occupants. We really don't find this at all, just barely noticeable, unlike in my brother in laws Audi A6 diesel, where the auto stop/start is very obtrusive.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:10:34 AM by mikebore »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »

I have discovered this as well.

With all the situations that Honda have found to automatically disable idle stop, they might have included this one. Mine works like Deeps's not ColinS's.

BTW, I vaguely remember a comment earlier that idle stop/start was noticeable and unpleasant for occupants. We really don't find this at all, just barely noticeable, unlike in my brother in laws Audi A6 diesel, where the auto stop/start is very obtrusive.

That is very strange.  Mine actually displays A/C as a reason for it not activating.  My model has "climate control", perhaps that is the difference.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2017, 06:29:07 PM »
The system is designed so that if the cabin temperature is high and requires aircon to cool it, then the engine will not stop.  At least that is how mine worked during the hot weather.
Same here. The fan will sometimes drop down to three when idle stop kicks in but it doesn't impact cabin temperature much. Mostly it just put up the 'AC' symbol. For what's it's worth mine also has climate control.

As I think I've posted before - I've been critical of many features of the Jazz but idle stop seems to do exactly what it should and is very unobtrusive. I consider it the best feature of the Jazz.

We've now got roadworks (again! FFS!) at 'my' roundabout on Southam road, Banbury. Aside from the irritation of an extra ten minutes added to my commute each way the impact on fuel consumption is noticeable. Idle stop does its best in the morning but often the lights take so long to cycle that it gives up and restarts the engine. In the evenings the engine is just not warm enough to allow idle stop to function. The result is that my fuel consumption has dropped from around 58mpg to 51mpg (measured pump to pump). You can see the impact in the morning when I/S finally gives up. Suddenly the displayed MPG starts to drop by about .1 very 30 seconds :(

As for why they couldn't just do the job properly last when they dug the roundabout up....we all knew about the additional houses. They must have. Why only connect one group when six months later another group was due to start construction. Idiots.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:39:39 PM by andruec »

guest1372

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2017, 12:21:53 AM »
I'm going to post later about the new Audi A8 (launches next month) a couple of my friends have been involved with developing; that uses it's front camera and location to augment the idle stop.  This car knows if you are at a roundabout,  at traffic lights or in queuing traffic - when the car ahead moves forward it starts the engine while the brake is still pressed.  It also effectively uses a bit of start/stop technology while you are coasting or decelerating. 
--
TG

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2017, 04:07:48 PM »
That is very strange.  Mine actually displays A/C as a reason for it not activating.  My model has "climate control", perhaps that is the difference.
On my SE with no climate control, the A/C keeps going but the engine stops.  However, it restarts during a prolonged hold-up as you would expect to protect the battery.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2017, 04:35:19 PM »
I'm going to post later about the new Audi A8 (launches next month) a couple of my friends have been involved with developing; that uses it's front camera and location to augment the idle stop.  This car knows if you are at a roundabout,  at traffic lights or in queuing traffic - when the car ahead moves forward it starts the engine while the brake is still pressed.  It also effectively uses a bit of start/stop technology while you are coasting or decelerating. 
--
TG
Audi have some cool tech. The smart matrix headlights are really neat - no need for them to switch off main beam, just dim those elements pointing directly at the oncoming traffic. It's just a shame so many of the drivers are aggressive speed merchants :(
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:37:13 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2017, 07:56:24 AM »
On my SE with no climate control, the A/C keeps going but the engine stops.  However, it restarts during a prolonged hold-up as you would expect to protect the battery.

The ventilation fan keeps running but the aircon compressor is engine driven, so no aircon when the engine is stopped.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:58:30 AM by Deeps »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2017, 08:51:59 AM »

The ventilation fan keeps running but the aircon compressor is engine driven, so no aircon when the engine is stopped.
Yeah, so exactly what happens will depend on what cycle the A/C is in. Sometimes mine just drops the fan a bit, other times it puts up the (AC) indicator. This morning was impressive though. I saw the temporary lights turn red as they came into view so I coasted (in gear, but not accelerator) the half a mile to them. It clearly annoyed the Mercedes driver behind me but that's not my problem. Traffic was light so I wasn't causing more queuing. Despite my efforts we still had to stop eventually and we were stationary for long enough for an entire song to play on my iPod. But the Idle Stop allowed the engine to stay off for the whole time.

Maybe it taught the Mercedes driver something..but I doubt it. They probably think I delayed them.

Tags:

anything