Author Topic: original speakers  (Read 3541 times)

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
original speakers
« on: June 08, 2018, 09:58:17 PM »
Hello,
I recently put in a radio but it's nearly impossible to hear with the windows open even 1" to let in some air. Are the built in 2004 speakers poor and worth replacing or would i be better trying to jam in more speakers somewhere? (radio has phono sockets to add another pair).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: original speakers
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 10:04:28 PM »
Nothing wrong with the speakers paired with the OEM radio. Way loud enough for an aging rocker like myself. Windows open or closed.
Only disappointment, in my cheapo Jazz S, is the fact that there are no speakers (or wiring) to the speaker apertures in the rear doors.

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 10:26:59 PM »
speaker spaces in the back doors you say? i will have a look tomorrow.
so there is, and tubing that allows cabling for the central locking, might fit speaker wires in there.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:00:46 PM by smilertoo »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 08:19:35 AM »
Hello,
I recently put in a radio but it's nearly impossible to hear with the windows open even 1" to let in some air. Are the built in 2004 speakers poor and worth replacing or would i be better trying to jam in more speakers somewhere? (radio has phono sockets to add another pair).

It may be the new radio,  could you hear the radio before you changed it ?  Radios are designed to work with a certain 'impedence' of speaker (normally 4 or 8 ohms) to give their proper quoted  'watts' output.  If you radio does not match the speakers it may be a problem.   4 Ohm speakers are the norm on car audio as there is only 12volts available to power them.

I never had any trouble hearing radio in MK1,  IIRC the OEM radio may have had SVC (speed volume correction) (the MK2 and Civic certainly have it) it is in same menu as back to front and side to side balance and bass and treble adjustment, SVC can be set to off,  low, med and High so that as car speed rises the volume rises automatically - but has your new radio got that ?

https://www.news18.com/news/india/speaker-specs-simplified-the-7-things-you-should-check-before-you-buy-a-speaker-711049.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:38:18 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 08:49:17 AM »
The original Mk 1 radio does not have SVC but it does have Fade, which controls the balance between front and rear speakers. If like me, you have no rear speakers, and the Fade on your radio is set predominantly to the rear, then the overall volume will be heavily compromised.

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 12:13:41 PM »
original radio was dead when i got the car.

philiph

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »
Just replaced the original speakers with Audison APX 6.5.
The OEM speakers doesn't sound bad at all, but the difference in clarity and detail the new speakers have is night and day.

Right now I have the OEM radio, but I'm planning to replace it as well to do the new speakers justice.

philiph

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 11:11:44 AM »
I also did added some demping materials.

Highly recommend if you're gonna change the speakers anyway.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Coat-Starter-Deadening-Proofing/dp/B0045C8QLY

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 11:46:40 AM »
Is the built in connection standard or do you need to rewire to fit new speakers?

Tags:

anything