Author Topic: how much left ?  (Read 4373 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
how much left ?
« on: January 27, 2018, 09:00:15 PM »
Been risking running out of petrol a few times lately, how far will it go when petrol warning light comes on ? anyone 'actually' run out ??.
I did about 35 miles on my way back from london, just so i could get to my local 'cheap' station, I know, stupid, however I have never run out.

Mike

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: how much left ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 09:46:18 PM »
Been risking running out of petrol a few times lately, how far will it go when petrol warning light comes on ? anyone 'actually' run out ??.
I did about 35 miles on my way back from london, just so i could get to my local 'cheap' station, I know, stupid, however I have never run out.

Mike

Most of the fuel stations listed on my satnav have closed down - I never let my tank get below about 1/3 full - never run out and never want to.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 10:10:42 PM »
Question is, how many litres did you have to put in?   I often think I'm on vapours then find it only takes 36 litres.
Yellow light in a GD is good for 30 miles at least. If you zero the trip each time then you get to know your average range, 350 at standard MPG should be OK.  Many modern cars refuse to tell you when estimated range drops below 30.

You could always put £5 of expensive stuff in if saving 60p or getting points is important.
--
TG

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »
Fuel light comes on with 7.9 litres left according to the online manual I have. 45mpg is roughly 10 miles per litre, so you've got 79 miles at 45mpg before things go silent. Probably  ;)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 11:19:26 AM »
I must admit I'm one of these people who doesn't let it go to the extreme. Once that yellow light comes on (and it's very rare in my case) I get serious "Electric Vehicle" type range anxiety. I tend to fill up once the miles to refuel indicator gets to 100 (ish).

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 11:25:53 AM »
Only done one refill, and the range to empty was 27 miles when the fuel light came on. Took just over 34 litres, so as long as my tank hasn't collapsed, then I'll not be too worried if the light comes on.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »
I always run mine down past the warning light.  On one occasion it was on zero for about 5 miles (not deliberately I should add) and I still managed to get 38 litres into it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 01:22:36 PM »
The manual for my GD says fuel tank capacity is 42 litres. I try and run mine until the warning light comes on, and the most I have ever got in was 35 litres. A gallon and a half would get me about 75 miles, so no need for range anxiety there.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 01:55:41 PM »
Pretty sure I could run mine down a bit more as well. At 100 miles to go I usually get, give or take, 30 litres in (to the first click).

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Sport 1.5 (The Hondarari)
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »
I run ours well below E. I just did over 70km after the light came on and it still took only 35ltrs... That means 7ltrs still in the tank!!
You only live once - Enjoy your life...

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 09:42:34 PM »
I must admit I'm one of these people who doesn't let it go to the extreme. Once that yellow light comes on (and it's very rare in my case) I get serious "Electric Vehicle" type range anxiety.
You're like my other half, she panics when the little yellow light comes on.

Me on the other hand, I often run it right down... I might even do it just to jangle her nerves. I do start to get a bit twitchy when the needle goes past zero and won't move off the stop though.

guest5079

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 08:56:20 AM »
I am afraid I am with peteo48 on this one. I have only gone down to the light once due to the paucity of filling stations. I usually put between 20 and 27 litres in so that is between just over 4 and 6 gallons  as necessary.
What is at the back of my mind is a) the fertilizer getting sucked into the pump/filter and b) the dreaded 'cat' which according to the book misfiring might occur when fuel level is very low and that will damage the cat.
I know modern petrol tanks are made of plastic BUT having worked in a garage where the fuel stocks were run to the wire, before new stock,  I am mindful of the cr*p that can be transferred to the car.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 10:28:51 AM »
I am afraid I am with peteo48 on this one. I have only gone down to the light once due to the paucity of filling stations. I usually put between 20 and 27 litres in so that is between just over 4 and 6 gallons  as necessary.
What is at the back of my mind is a) the fertilizer getting sucked into the pump/filter and b) the dreaded 'cat' which according to the book misfiring might occur when fuel level is very low and that will damage the cat.
I know modern petrol tanks are made of plastic BUT having worked in a garage where the fuel stocks were run to the wire, before new  stock,  I am mindful of the cr*p that can be transferred to the car.

I am with the above. Many years ago, MD of company I worked with ran his Ford Granada 2.8Ghia etc dry.  Filled it up and never ran properly. Diagnostic showed blocked furl pump/fuel filter and big bill. Even then it never ran right. Dirt /rust/condensation settles in bottom of tank and is picked up with last dregs of petrol..

Note: in cold weather, fuel tank get cold and any water in air in tank condenses on walls of tank. More air is added as fuel level falls.. so more condensation to come.. Usually not a problem...but...

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 12:52:35 PM »
I don't think you have the problems with dirty fuel so much these days, it certainly was an issue in the past. A couple of years ago, I cut open the fuel filter that came off my Ford Galaxy after 120,000 miles and even I was surprised how clean it was, barely any staining of the paper. At 30mpg, plenty of petrol had gone through it over the years.

Plastic tanks too, so you don't get the rust dust in the bottom anymore.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 04:52:50 PM »
I know modern petrol tanks are made of plastic BUT having worked in a garage where the fuel stocks were run to the wire, before new  stock,  I am mindful of the cr*p that can be transferred to the car.

I am with the above. Many years ago, MD of company I worked with ran his Ford Granada 2.8Ghia etc dry.  Filled it up and never ran properly. Diagnostic showed blocked furl pump/fuel filter and big bill. Even then it never ran right. Dirt /rust/condensation settles in bottom of tank and is picked up with last dregs of petrol..

Note: in cold weather, fuel tank get cold and any water in air in tank condenses on walls of tank. More air is added as fuel level falls.. so more condensation to come.. Usually not a problem...but...

Good point about condensation and it is the reason I keep my car and motorbike tanks mostly full,  also I am of the view that a vehicle without fuel is just an ornament,  and no good to man nor beast.  Condensation is cumulative as well,  it sinks to bottom of tank and hopefully stays there,  but as you say - one day it may get sucked up into system.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: