Author Topic: Rear Window power switch  (Read 3045 times)

guest5079

Rear Window power switch
« on: May 29, 2017, 11:46:18 AM »
Rear N/S window won't operate. Did checks, fuse appears OK and everything appears to be well lubricated.  Removed switch and tested it as per online manual BUT I am a little confused.
The manual drawing shows a five terminal switch from the back. I have used a continuity meter across terminals as per drawing and can get no continuity at all.
Am I correct in assuming that the test can be carried out with the switch in the off position.
OFF  terminals 1 and 3 plus 4 and 2 nothing.
UP  terminals 3 and 2 and 4 and 5 nothing, DOWN  terminals 1 and 2 plus 3 and 5 nothing. I have tried the switch both ways so that I can get 1 and 5 opposite ways round as the switch is not marked. Can I rely on my basic electrics that the switch is defunct?
Thanks

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Rear Window power switch
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 12:30:52 PM »
It certainly sounds like it. I don't know what the configuration of the switch is, but if the connection to the wiper is open circuit it will work in neither direction.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 09:02:36 AM »
I omitted to say that the master switch does not operate the window either. I have tried looking at similar wiring diagrams and it appears that the master switch does have to have an operational 'local' switch.

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 07:22:26 PM »
I had a similar problem on my 2013 Jazz. Rear windows never opened because nobody sat in the back. When the car was about 2 years old I had reason to open the rear offside window, completely dead, switch did nothing. . So I tried helping it while pressing the switch and it moved and then opened- it was stuck in the guides and to the top seal because it hadn't been opened since new , after that it worked perfectly.
Just a thought in case you're looking for a problem that isn't there.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 09:49:33 PM »
I had the same problem with a stuck window. To open the window I pressed my hand hard onto the outside of the window (with the door open) and drew my hand down the window whilst I pressed the button with the other hand. It released and then ran normally. Worth a try.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:16:52 AM »
Thank you for the thoughts but I had checked that the window was not stuck by using a plastic trim remover around all the rubbers and flooding them with silicone spray. While I had the door card off I checked the mechanism as best I could and it is all well greased and free of muck.
There is definitely a switch problem.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:20:26 AM »
You could always try swapping the switch with the other side to confirm it is the switch, and only the switch, which is faulty.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 09:30:45 AM »
Jocko,
Whilst your suggestion has merit, good old Honda is not content with fixing the switch with screws only accessible with the door card off, I think it was 7  more screws have to be removed to access the switch mounting screws. So I think I will take the plunge and replace the switch.
However the replacement of the battery has to take preference.

Tags:

anything