Author Topic: CVT fluid change  (Read 4800 times)

LJs JAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es cvt
CVT fluid change
« on: October 26, 2015, 10:16:56 PM »
I have just had my 2011 jazz cvt serviced at 4 years old and with 37500 miles on the clock  The dealer pointed out that the cvt fluid has been changed on Honda recommendations.
Last year with 26500 miles on the clock the fluid was not changed, I brought this up with the dealer at the time as the service checksheet item 24 clearly states fluid change at 25000 miles or 2 years for the 2012 jazz  I argued that mine is a 2012 model but registered late 2011, but that made no impression on them.
Anyway they now concede that the change was due and needs doing every 2years or 25000 miles.
By the way although I was not having any problems with the transmission, it does seem a bit smoother on the changes down now.

guest5679

Re: CVT fluid change
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 04:07:58 PM »
When I took my 2004 CVT Jazz in for its annual service in August this year, I was told that Honda now recommend that the CVT fluid should be changed every 2 years.  Apparently, Honda have discovered that the chemical composition of the fluid begins to break down after 2 years and, in the early stages, this can be detected by a shudder in the transmission when the car starts from rest.  Eventually, if the fluid is not changed, the transmission can be damaged.

As it happens, it was 2 years since the CVT fluid had been changed on my Jazz and the car was experiencing a slight shudder when starting from rest.  I noticed the difference after the service - the transmission is now beautifully smooth.

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 03:39:35 PM »
That's strange, as I checked when I was in my local dealership last service which was in May this year and they said every 5 years for the Jazz CVT, the service guide board they have also states that ???
Mine will be done next year when it has it's MOT and service.
I can't say I've noticed any shudder when moving off from rest, I will check it when I drive home tonight.
I will ask again when I take my service book in for updating.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 03:56:20 PM »
There's more discussion of this subject at http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7264.0.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest5679

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 04:42:59 PM »
That's strange, as I checked when I was in my local dealership last service which was in May this year and they said every 5 years for the Jazz CVT, the service guide board they have also states that ???
Mine will be done next year when it has it's MOT and service.
I can't say I've noticed any shudder when moving off from rest, I will check it when I drive home tonight.
I will ask again when I take my service book in for updating.
I got the impression from my local Honda dealership that the recommendation to change the CVT fluid every 2 years is very recent, and so it might not yet be reflected in all the printed documentation.  I also got the impression that the recommendation applies to all CVT Jazz models (mine is a Mk1 CVT Jazz), although some posts in this and the other thread referenced by John Ratsey appear to suggest that it applies only to the later Mk2 CVT Jazz models.

Next time I pass my local dealership, I will ask again.

guest4871

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 05:23:59 PM »
My last Honda 12,500 Mile Schedule Service Check Sheet (Issue 06/12) shows (I quote):

Replace transmission fluid:

MT - Every 75,000 miles or 6 years

AT - Every 75,000 miles or 6 years thereafter every 50,000 miles or 4 years

CVT - Every 50,000 miles or 5 years thereafter every 37,500 miles or 3 years

CVT: Civic Hybrid/ Insight/ 2012 Onwards Jazz - Every 25,000 miles or 2 years

So, it appears, a model year 2012 Onwards Jazz  is every 25,000miles or 2 years and Jazz models before the 2012 model are every 50,000 miles or 5 years and thereafter every 37,500 miles or 3 years.

guest5679

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 09:09:08 PM »
My last Honda 12,500 Mile Schedule Service Check Sheet (Issue 06/12) shows (I quote) ...
Thank you.  I will challenge my local dealership with this evidence when I next pass by.

What worries me slightly though is that "Issue 06/12" might refer to June 2012 and Honda might have issued their latest recommendation after that date.  Before my car's service in August this year, the CVT fluid was last changed in August 2013, and I don't remember being informed then about Honda's recommendation to change it every 2 years.

Even if my dealership has got it wrong, and the CVT fluid did not need to be changed in August this year, I can't in all honesty complain and ask for my money back.  The change of fluid does appear to have resulted in a noticeable improvement in my car's transmission.

Tags:

anything