Author Topic: Detachable towbar (Honda)  (Read 12273 times)

guest3170

Detachable towbar (Honda)
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:14:28 AM »
Thinking about one of these for occasional light trailer towing and as a tiedown point when carrying canoe/kayak on the roof. But I would like to know how it looks when detached and if any cutting of the plastic bumper is necessary to fit it. Only image I can find is this from the Honda site:

Looks to me as if some slight cutting has been done there but not 100% sure...

Does anybody have one of these fitted?

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
Re: Detachable towbar (Honda)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:45:17 AM »
If it is from Honda than no cutting required (I believe),they`ve designed it for the Jazz.
The other day I`ve seen a tow bar which can be folded under/behind the bumper when not in used, so always fitted but invisible (fold away/retractable tow bar).

Here it is: Bosal Oris-Matic
http://www.bosal.com/AUTOMOTIVEPRODUCTS/Aftermarket/Towbars/Retractable/tabid/331/Default.aspx

http://www.bosal.com/Portals/0/International/Docs/Oris-Matic.pdf

With Bosal need to cut the bumper but that is invisible:
http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages/tow_carspecnr_list.php?query_nr=3&make=HONDA&model=Jazz&body=03
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:05:52 AM by DV »

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 11:00:52 PM »
If you order the official Jazz detachable towbar from Honda, your local dealer will fit it, and no it does not cut any bodywork.
Yes it is made by Bosal.

It is both excellent and useless. I shall explain. The idea is brilliant, when fitted in place its a good height. Brilliant for small camping sized trailers, but it struggles pulling an overall weight of more than half a ton even with the 1339 engine. If you have rear parking sensors you'll find they go bleeeeeeeep when in reverse because your Jazz will think its reversing into the trailer you are towing LOL. Also I think the ball itself is a tiny bit small - my little trailer creaks behind my Jazz but not when being towed by our other cars.

However the mechanism is an absolute pig. You need the strength of a wrestler to turn the big button to get it into the green locking position to attach to the car. I've snapped one of the keys provided. Now mine, with precious little use and perfectly stored, has broken so is impossible to attach onto the car. I've tried soaking the device in penetrating fluid but its not playing ball. I think the replacement detachable part is the same used on the CRV, and will cost £150+ to buy direct form Bosal. Very frustrating.

Oh and the plastic clip provided when the towbar isn't in place does not fit well. And the metal frame rusts.

So in hindsight, not a lot of towbar for the £500 or whatever it costs now from Honda.

If I had to buy one new, I'd consider a fixed type, or maybe a Witter if they do one for the Jazz GE becuase their detachable mechanisms seem far easier and better.

guest3170

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:37:30 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I do like the look of that Oris-matic device, although wondering how that funky mechanism would work in the depths of winter :)

Honda towbar seems a bit hit & miss on the Jazz then. We had the Honda removable bar on our old CRV but I'm pretty sure we left it in place after the first year or so, thus avoiding the removal hassles. And it did indeed rust very quickly. Don't want to do that on the new car, so maybe I'll settle for improvising a rear tiedown for now and leave the towing for the Mrs...

guest3038

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 01:56:28 PM »
Witter do make a detatchable towbar for the Honda Jazz, had one fitted last May, (2011), to my 2010 Jazz GE

Yes, there is a small cut required to the rear bumper, but if done neatly, you cannot see the cut.

Mobile Tow bar Fitter done the full job, at our house, complete with electrics, for £350

Tags: