Author Topic: Creaking noises from front suspension  (Read 19755 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Creaking noises from front suspension
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:58:58 PM »
Hi Everyone

This is my first post and relates to creaking noises from the LH front suspension on a 2010 Jazz EX I-Shift. The car is an ex-Honda management car registered 1-03-2010 with 4500 miles on the clock and I have owned it for about 4 weeks.
The noise is most noticeable when driving over large speed bumps and occurs mainly when dropping off the bump rather than moving on to it.
My dealer has co-operated and has recently changed the complete LH suspension leg, but the noise is still there. This does not appear to be a problem the the RH side. The car is booked for further attention on Monday when hopefully the problem can be resolved. However, I am beginning to wonder whether it is the bodywork creaking rather than the suspension and if so what are my options? Has anyone any experience of this problem?

guest1521

Re: Creaking noises from front suspension
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »
EXACTLY the same symptoms, LH/nearside front, too.

Dealer's technician accompanied me on a test drive, heard the creaking noise over speed bumps, agreed that it's not right, took car into the workshop and returned it saying that, having checked everything, (for safety, too ) he couldn't find the cause. If it persists, he said, book it back in.

It persists... though no worse... and the car has done 1,000 miles since then. So it'll need to go back in.
(1.2SE manual 12/09 10500 miles - v. pleased otherwise.) 

I would much appreciate hearing your outcome on Monday, Kenneve. Good luck.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:52:48 PM »
Update:-

The dealer has spent nearly 2 days trying to sort out the problem, with help from Honda UK, but we are no nearer a solution.

It would appear that the problem is more widespread than originally thought as the courtesy car supplied, (also a 2010 1.4 EX I-shift, registered within a month of mine) has the same problem. Moreover the dealer has checked a number of his stock cars and found similar probs, so it may be that a batch of cars are affected.

The dealer says they will make further investigations in conjunction with Honda UK with a view to resolving the problem, firstly on one of their stock cars and then if successful, on mine. However, I'm not holding my breath!!

Again, if anyone has any further info, then please add to this post. 

Perhaps it's unfortunate that I happen to live on a road with speedbumps!!!

guest1521

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 06:27:56 PM »
Thanks, Kenneve, for your update. Frustrating for you and I'm sorry to hear it has yet to be resolved.

Yesterday, for the first time for quite a while, my suspension was silent over the same numerous speed bumps! Then today the same noise as usual. While the RH/offside never, ever makes a sound...

To my ear, the creaking sounds exactly like a rubber bush 'working.'

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:01:36 AM »
Having thought a bit more about this problem, I initially agree that the noise did sound like rubber bushes 'working' although one would expect them to be quieter when wet.
However,my technician assures me that they have changed all the bushes in the entire LH suspension, but no difference.
So, one has to think what is different between the left & right sides of the car? The only minor difference seems to be weight, in that the battery is on the LH side and could perhaps generate some additional inertia during large vertical movements.

To my ears the sound is more akin to creaking floorboards, which leads me to think of body stress movements. Now, I have no doubt that all is safe at the moment, but if this stress, in time, culminates into fatigue cracks, perhaps around the suspension mounts, what then?

If Honda-UK read these posts, then will they please investigate with some urgency, as it it now obvious that the fault is not confined to just one or two cars.

guest1329

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:08:20 PM »
I  have a 2010 Jazz EX with exactly the same problem. However, I think that the noise comes from both sides. The suspension creaks when going over speed bumps or when going over an uneven road. On ‘normal’ roads there is no noise. So it would appear to happen when there is excessive suspension travel. The suspension is so stiff that you cannot replicate the noise by trying to ‘bounce’ the car when stationary. It does not appear when going slowly over speed bumps, only at about 15-20 mph.

I went to the local dealers who had a quick look and could not find anything wrong and had it booked in for a day for further investigation. They had a car for the day but I think they were rushed as they said it wasn’t making a noise so I took the technician for a short drive over speed bumps and he agreed he could hear the noise. He thought it could be the anti roll bar bushes, but I think the sound comes more from the top of the suspension. Car was booked in for two days for further investigation.

After more investigation they said they changed the anti roll bar bushes but it made no difference and they also said they checked other stock cars and found the same noise. In fact I had a 60 plate 1.4 EX I-shift courtesy car with about 400miles on the clock and you could hear the noise when going over speed bumps. The dealer said they were going to speak with Honda’s technical dept for further advice. This was a week ago and I have not heard any more from them.

Kenneve are you from Reading as they also said that another customer had the same problem ?

As others have said the noise is a rubber creaking sound, but mine comes from both sides. I checked this by driving over speed ‘cushions’ so that only one side of the car is being raised up. It appears the noise is coming from the top of the suspension unit, and looking at this http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17TF0901&block_02=B__2800&block_03=21039 there are a number of rubber components that could cause the noise.

It will be interesting to see what Honda propose to do to resolve the issue.

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 07:11:48 PM »
That is weird! I also have a 1.4 EX  :o , and it has just started creaking from the LH front over big speed bumps. To be honest, after 40k miles I thought it was just the front shock squeaking a bit under hard compression in this cold weather, maybe a bit of iced-up mud collected on the suspension, so didn't think much of it.

However it is interesting that other folks with the same model are observing a similar noise. Please keep us updated with any feedback or fixes?

guest869

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 05:55:43 PM »
In the past you used to squirt a bit of washing up liquid (or WD40) at each bush and see if it stopped the noise.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 07:38:26 PM »
Thanks for the updates lads, it appears that I am not on my own.
I think the fact that the entire LH suspension has been changed on my car, precludes the use of WD40 et al.

My dealer is located in Solihull, West Midlands not Reading as per 'OldGit's post, so it confirms the problem to be quite widespread.
I will keep up the pressure on my Dealer to resolve the problem.

Obviously it does not affect the running of the vehicle, it's just B----y annoying!!!! and should just not occur on a vehicle of this age.

guest1521

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »
Interestingly, mine in N.Yorks. has been much quieter in recent days requiring a higher speed (25mph) over the speed-bump to produce the 'creak' which is now only just evident on compression and rebound. As the winter got colder it got noisier - I'm wondering whether warmer days are quietening it. Nevertheless as soon as convenient for me I'll be back to my dealer about it again. Come such time I (very reluctantly) sell the car, I wouldn't want a hint of a suspension 'creak' that should have been fixed under warranty. It's been noisy enough to deter most buyers, I'm sure. And even now, in quieter mode, a potential buyer would certainly suspect 'shot' bushes or damper.

guest1329

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 07:09:27 PM »
Has any one any updates on this issue ?

I have to agree with IvyTek that the noise is less or non existant in the warmer weather. I got the car in March and I did not hear the creaking noise until the cold spell before Christmas.

This morning in the cold I could hear the noise going over speed bumps temp about 0C but coming home about 4pm when the temperature was about 10 -11C there  was no noise at all. This has happened on several days.

Makes me think that the cold weather is causing some rubber components to harden or stiffen up and cause the noise.

guest1521

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 07:02:20 PM »
Informed at my A-Service today that Honda issued a Bulletin requiring a lubricant into the suspension's lower arm bushes. Mine duly lubed.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 02:58:04 PM »
Having read the updates, I have to say that the cold weather may have been responsible, since my car has quietened down now that it is warmer.
However I shall mention the Honda service bulletin when the car goes in for normal service.

Incidentally is it possible to get hold of copy of all the service bulletins for the 2010 Jazz?

guest795

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 09:33:47 AM »
I had not seen this string before. But had put my 09 EX Ishift into Chiswick Honda earlier this week for same problem - n/s front creaking. They have adjusted and lubricated and it appears improved. My earlier impression was that it was worse at lower temps.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »
i have the same noise but on both side over speed bumps but not over rough roads or speed bumps if you drive over them square on, im thinking it is the cold/damp weather we are having because it was ok from march 2011 when i bought it till recently, it will hopefully go away in warmer weather, im glad i am not alone and it is a common problem

Tags: