Author Topic: Noisy Bridgestone tyres  (Read 2229 times)

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
Noisy Bridgestone tyres
« on: December 11, 2022, 10:37:56 PM »
Hi
A few months ago I replaced my Michelin tyres with Bridgestone after checking reviews. I have noticed a considerable increase in road noise, anyone else had the same results,
Chris

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Noisy Bridgestone tyres
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 03:48:48 PM »
Sorry I have no experience of swopping these makes.  But have you allowed for the fact new tyres tend to be a bit noisier until they have  settled down a bit.     And then a bit noisier as colder weather sets in.

Also tyre fitters may have used a fairly high pressure.  Is it possible your Michelins were run at a lower  ,more 'comfortable' pressure.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 08:43:34 AM »
You do not mention exactly what criteria you used to select the tyres. Did you compare the noise level ratings or just look at the buyer reviews?

The last time I had to change tyres I looked up one of the national retailer's website and found that the noise ratings varied considerably between model of tyre even from the same manufacturer.

The days of "are they black, round and fit my wheels and wallet?" seem to have gone.

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 05:15:19 PM »
Doesna help much just stating the brand and not the (type) model and dimensions since for all I know be studded winter tires...
Looking at Turanza T005 in 175/65R15 meself and is confident they will be fine...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 05:17:12 PM by Brakballe »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 08:20:12 PM »
New tyres tend to be noisy until you scrub off the rough edges.

LJs JAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es cvt
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 08:34:29 PM »
I noticed it  " the other way round " if you like.
My car was fitted with Hankook tyres and thought the car was a bit noisy.
When the time came to change tyres I fitted michelin premacy 4 all round.
What a difference! It was like a different car !  The whole feel of the car from the reduced noise level
to the sharper steering feel was really noticeable.
I allways fit michelin tyres to my cars when the time comes.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 09:45:54 PM »
I have fitted new tyres and noticed a huge difference in how much quieter they were than the old tyres but on the couple of occasions recently where I have replaced like with like I have noticed a slight increase in noise level.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 01:37:31 PM »
Never liked Bridgestone despite their apparent popularity. I settled on Toyo Proxes a good few years ago and I find them to be excellent all round tyres and certainly transformed the handling of the Jazz which was previously fitted with the standard Dunlops which did nothing to enhance the slightly vague driving characteristics of the Jazz. Tyres are probably just tyres for the majority but can be surprisingly subjective to the more discerning.

Brakballe

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2023, 12:19:07 AM »
Tyres are probably just tyres for the majority but can be surprisingly subjective to the more discerning.

Do absolutely agree. I am one of those "more discerning" (read anal) type and premiums compared to "Ling Dong Star" tyres can be vast, also in the terms of safety! ;)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 11:50:40 AM »
I too am pernickety about tyres but it wasn't always so. I have run cars on a shoestring and over the years bought my share of retreads and no-name tyres. Now I replace my tyres at 3mm and buy better quality tyres.
I love Yokohama Bluearth and the Jazz is currently on Yokohama 4S tyres (yes I still have it). I have no idea what the Fabia is on. They are really low profile but with loads of tread. Once I get the car back and get a dry warm day I will give them a serious check out.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 02:09:13 PM »
my 2007 Yaris came with Bridgestone as Original equipment. I had no issues with them.  I replaced the fronts with Pirelli  cinturatos  ,based mainly on pirelli Cinturatos being the bees knees when I was young . and they were a good price for a premium brand  .    I should have researched better.  Nothing I could pin down  as being particularly bad,but nothing particularly good.    I just didnt like them and maybe they were cheap for a reason. . I replaced them at 6mm .Unheard of for me. I like to get my moneys worth, although the fact I needed all season tyres had a lot to do with it. 

So indirectly a vote that 10 years ago  Bridgestones were better than another premium brand.  :P 

I'm not sure you can always assume  a well known brand is better than a lesser known one, or base it on their  country of origin.   Plenty of top brands own lesser known brands, and make them in the same factories. Which may be in countries like China.   And sell the premium brand for a premium price because of its name, not necessarily  because its better.   
Until recently most Nokian Tyres were made in Russia. Production is now shifting to other countries, but IIRC this includes China.   
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 02:15:16 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Brakballe

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2023, 03:43:47 PM »
I might need mention that "all seasons" tires is completely out of the question since it to me equals to then have both mediocre summer tires and ********** winter tires.
Here most of us run two separate sets for summer and winter (some, me use studded in the winter) and they are a galaxy apart in performance at what they are made for.
Should make some start thinking..

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2023, 05:57:21 PM »
I appreciate that in Nordic  countries  all season tyres are not adequate in the winter.  Summer tyres and a swop  to full  winter tyre makes more sense, indeed essential.

But in Norway is there is an exact date, geographical location  or weather condition that makes a summer tyre the correct choice one day, and winter tyre, maybe with spikes ,the correct choice the next day. Not just a date when its legally required, but actually most suitable.  For the whole journey  even if  starts with one tyre being best and ends with another being better.  Or tyres changed early in anticipation the weather will change.     Is not some of your driving a compromise, on totally the  wrong tyres, for  some of the time?  I've noticed this in other countries.  Winter tyres tend to be left on for longer than necessary, when summer tyres might have been better, and safer,   because changing is inconvenient .

I'm not suggesting you use all seasons  but it may explain why they are popular in central Europe.   Here the weather is less predictable.  It might snow, but usually doesnt.  All seasons perform well enough in  all conditions. Occasional snow  or, motorway speeds on dry tarmac in summer.    A  small compromise  on performance all year round maybe vs being on totally the wrong tyres for shorter periods.   

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2023, 06:31:24 PM »
A friend of mine in Canada has two sets of wheels with summer tyres and studded tyres. One day there will be a warning on TV and Radio saying the snow is coming tonight and he goes out to the garage and swaps the wheels. The next day the snow is there and that's it for the duration. Once the snow arrives it is illegal to drive on the Turnpike without studded tyres.

Brakballe

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2023, 03:03:16 PM »
But in Norway is there is an exact date, geographical location  or weather condition that makes a summer tire the correct choice one day, and winter tire, maybe with spikes ,the correct choice the next day. Not just a date when its legally required, but actually most suitable.

From 1'st of Nov till after Easter, extended dates in the two upper North counties for winter tires. I's also allowed use common sense and the thread minimum is 3mm the winter season regardless type tires.
Studded is very noisy and have its use on ice but can be an revelation for some that do not know them (on ice, especially wet..).
Some areas do occasionally have wet (black) ice or a change day/night from +3~5 deg to 0~-3 deg and you are completely ferked on that with "all seasons" and will struggle even with regular winter tires.

For the whole journey  even if  starts with one tyre being best and ends with another being better.  Or tyres changed early in anticipation the weather will change.     Is not some of your driving a compromise, on totally the  wrong tyres, for  some of the time?  I've noticed this in other countries.  Winter tyres tend to be left on for longer than necessary, when summer tyres might have been better, and safer,   because changing is inconvenient .

A point but it usually works well here. 50~90% use winter tires without studs depending on area. Some, but not many slackers uses studless winter tires (renamed in their head as "all season") also in the summer because too lazy or stingy to put the summer rubber back on. The studded ones is that noisy that most direct awaits in anticipation when to change back. Have you heard the noise of one? If they pass slowly in front of you it will sounds like they are driving on bags of potato chips, insane crackling.

I'm not suggesting you use all seasons  but it may explain why they are popular in central Europe.   Here the weather is less predictable.  It might snow, but usually doesnt.  All seasons perform well enough in  all conditions. Occasional snow  or, motorway speeds on dry tarmac in summer.    A  small compromise  on performance all year round maybe vs being on totally the wrong tyres for shorter periods.

Not really. Winter tires, especially the studless ones is okay nuff on simple just wet, but cold asphalt. It's in the summer they gets really bad. The average temperature is the rule.
Either way, "good enough" is a wide subjective margin. That's why some is at a sudden is looking like eejits just because a little ice or snow or rain or whatever.. 
And YouTube full of vids where multiple cars is sliding uncontrollable down a icy slight slope on their maybe shiny M+S tires.  To me such eejits should never ever even have a driving license.. or at least get it revoked instantly. :)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 03:15:23 PM by Brakballe »

Tags:

anything