Author Topic: VSA not very effective  (Read 908 times)

Calimo

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
VSA not very effective
« on: January 30, 2021, 06:51:34 AM »
I used to drive a 2017 Kia for work that had traction control and if I went through a puddle (the small ones on the side of dual carriage ways that you don't see until too late) at speed, and it lost traction for a second the traction control would kick in.

My 2009 automatic VSA doesn't seem very good. It never kicks in when driving through puddles at speed even though I can feel that the wheel has lost traction. In the snow we've had this year, I have only experienced it kicking in while speeding up/pulling away, but not once I've moving.

Is this common with 09 Jazzes, or is there a fault? Maybe it's the technology is a lot better these days and that's why the 2017 Kia seemed to have better traction control.

Is is possible to upgrade the VSA?

Top Down

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: March 2012 1.4 iVTEC EX - Deep Sapphire Blue
Re: VSA not very effective
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 07:37:11 AM »
Yes, connect your brain to your left foot  ;D

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 08:09:14 AM »
What you are describing is called aquaplaning. I would drive nearer the centre line to avoid the standing water at the edge of the road. It is always better practice to alter your driving style than rely on car safety devices to get you out of trouble.

Have a read of this: https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/advice/what-is-aquaplaning

HTH
 :)

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 10:21:25 AM »
I didn''t think the Jazz had VSA until the 2015 mk3 model but someone might know better!

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 11:41:47 AM »
I didn''t think the Jazz had VSA until the 2015 mk3 model but someone might know better!

VSA was fitted to all mk2's.   I've never experienced it working and drove our first one through the 2009 and 10 winters.

I read somewhere that it keeps understeer in check, so maybe if you drove it hard into a wet roundabout it might kick in.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 04:43:51 PM »
Used it in snow. Switched it off to get up steep hill.

Tags:

anything