Author Topic: Change of 'wipers to the completely fla, flexible, wobbly type!  (Read 1511 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
Hi Everyone. Hoping all keeping well, healthy & not suffering too much under the C-19 conditions.

MOT (& know there is 6 month extension) Tax & Insurance time again, but also includes full service (or interim service depending on mileage/known problems etc). And as above says, is it time to move over to new style wipers?

Hoping you all all know the type I mean which I think are on 'newer' cars, newer than our 2010 honda Jazz Sr., anyway! Thnk I have seen them on Citroen cars. When you pull 'wiper away from screen, the wipers seem to bend in on themselves due to having no 'spine'. Whereas ones that most cars still have are the solid wired type, that are currently afixed to our Jazz.

I did buy Bosch Aerotwin 'flat' blades couple/few years ago for front screen, but found after opening packaging, they were not truly flat and still had that middle 'lip' making the wiper have a 'T' shape, that then causes that 'flip' noise when wipers are in use when it is on its return journey after hitting peak of the swipe (hope I have explained this understandably).

I was therefore wondering, if any owners/drivers have actually moved over from old style to these truly flat, flexible, wobbly blades? And, if so, costs if you can remember & was it a straight forward swap/change of wiper blades as you would do in normal circumstances?

TY for reading & for any forthcoming answers.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Change of 'wipers to the completely fla, flexible, wobbly type!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 06:48:50 PM »
I have used the one piece wipers that you describe on my 2011 Jazz for a while now. No problems and the places that I have bought them from have always fitted them for me.

Vic.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 06:35:41 PM »
I did buy Bosch Aerotwin 'flat' blades couple/few years ago for front screen, but found after opening packaging, they were not truly flat and still had that middle 'lip' making the wiper have a 'T' shape, that then causes that 'flip' noise when wipers are in use when it is on its return journey after hitting peak of the swipe (hope I have explained this understandably).

I thought all the Aero-type blades were copies of the Bosch Aerotwin, haven't seen any other type. Can't see how they would be effective at clearing the screen and keeping themselves free of dirt without the blade part.

Perhaps I'm missing out on some new-fangled advance.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 09:26:44 AM »
Went on wiperblades.co.uk site and put a 2017 Citroen model in and it came up with Aerotwin Plus flat screen wiper blades - now as far as I know they never made a Jazz with a flat screen (  :D ) so this style may not suit Jazz - they do seem to have a different mounting,  but then again they come with multi-adaptor clips to suit different mountings.

https://www.wiperblades.co.uk/citroen-c5-estate-years-2008-to-2017-wiper-blades/aerotwin-plus-ap28u-flat-windscreen-wiper-blade-and-aerotwin-plus-ap22u-flat-windscreen-wiper-blade-twin-pack-wiper-blades
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 10:54:57 AM »
now as far as I know they never made a Jazz with a flat screen (  :D ) so this style may not suit Jazz.
I think you will find, despite the lack of punctuation, they actually mean "Aerotwin, Retrofit, Flat, Windscreen Wiper Blade" i.e. the blades are flat, not the windscreen.

They actually state:
"The Honda Jazz 2008 to 2015 model requires a 26” wiper blade on the drivers side and a 14" blade on the passengers side and all of the following wiper blades are designed to fit this vehicle. The type of wiper arm fitting for this model is the Standard Hook arm attachment. There is the option of upgrading to the newer Retrofit style wiper blade, we also have rear blade for this Jazz, simply click on the Rear Blades tab below."

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 01:00:15 PM »
now as far as I know they never made a Jazz with a flat screen (  :D ) so this style may not suit Jazz.
I think you will find, despite the lack of punctuation, they actually mean "Aerotwin, Retrofit, Flat, Windscreen Wiper Blade" i.e. the blades are flat, not the windscreen.

OMG ! they don't do they ?  :o  Whatever happened to the British sense of humour ?  ( did you miss the smiley ? )  - I made up for their lack of punctuation by putting a lot in here....
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 01:01:48 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 06:17:08 PM »
I think the OP is looking for something different to the Aerotwin type wipers.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 09:49:09 AM »
I can't see how a wiper blade would work without a spine of some kind to keep it in contact with screen and stop it folding up and twisting  as it moves across the screen, to keep the squeegee edge in good contact.   OP should make a note of the model of car he has seen these 'floppy' blades on and do a search of sites like wiperblades.co.uk  -  I have seen other car forums with posts of people wanting what they call 'floppy'  wiper blades and they always seem to end up with Bosch Aerotwin or similar.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:01:02 AM by culzean »

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 10:20:00 AM »
Does he mean hybrid wiper blades made by Denso as is already fitted as original equipment on mk2 jazz and lots of other current Japanese models

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 10:54:44 AM »
The hybrid blades looks flat and the arm fits flush with the blade itself so you can't see the so called T joint but underneath all that plastic covering it's still a conventionally constructed blade with metal spines, it's just that the covering makes it very streamlined and appear different from normal wiper blades. It still uses the normal hook fitting though. The blade is marketed by Denso but is in fact made by SWF who in fact makes the majority of OE blades for JDM cars. A lot of the newer Vauxhall and Minis now use them as OE.
Maybe his mk2 Jazz had its original hybrid blades replaced by conventional blades at some point and did not realise hybrid blades are fitted as OE from factory?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 12:59:08 PM »
https://www.denso-am.eu/products/automotive-aftermarket/wiper-blades/wiper-blades/

Are these the ones he mean

They have still got a spine ( although they call it 'common-use vertebra' ) and a 'rigid' graphite coated blade.

DENSO introduced Hybrid Wiper Blades to the OE market in 2005. Designed with an integrated, fully covered blade and wiper arm they combine sophisticated design with a low, out-of-view profile. Inside the wiper housing, common-use vertebra deliver superior surface holding capability; whilst the rigid, graphite-coated rubber blade delivers a smooth, more efficient wiping performance.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 05:29:33 PM »
Hi All, Apologies for not getting back sooner. Didn't expect so many replies and TY for all. From all replies it would appear that 'all' wipers have that vertical line of the  'T' shape on the rubber element of the wiperbades! I was under impression that some new blades did away with the vertical line leaving a complete horizontal 'flat rubber element' line coming into contact with the windscreen! Hope this makes sense. I take it 'flat' windscreen wipers simply (or rather, confusingly!) refer to there being no 'coat hanger' style fitting!

It is why I was disillusioned when I ordered driver & passenger bosch aerotwin flat blades that still had the vertical line that comes into contact with screen and also had the metal wiper arm. I have also been under impression that there are blades with only the horizontal rubber element meaning more of the blade comes into contact with screen and that this type are the 'floppy' - without the metal wiper 'coat hanger' arm & no vertical!

Vic, TY for your input and for letting me know of 1 piece wiper that you have on your 2011 Jazz. No doubt wil be able to find same for my 2010.

Cheers also, Culzean, Sparky and Colin. Hi Tonytan, The closest that come to what I can see from images on website, are their flat blades, not hybrid, but again cannot tell from image if the rubber element is completely flat!

I have even just checked neigbours wipers - floppy type - on his 16 month old ford & this has the new 'flat wiper blade' that i call 'wobbly' but these even have the full 'T' rubber element!

Maybe I am looking for something that doesn't exist and that all rubber element of wiper blades have the original 'T' rubber element that contacts windscreen.

Again, am very grateful for all replies.

Tags:

anything