Author Topic: Batteries...again!  (Read 1361 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
Batteries...again!
« on: March 29, 2020, 03:05:02 PM »
Anybody else had problems :-$

Due to lack of use and recent freezing/below freezing temps, and added to that can't go anywhere, have 'cleaned' car over past few days (it take me 3 - 4 days to do outside alone due to health conditions/disabilities-not that-& that is with waterless cleaners).

Obviously whilst cleaning car, am putting some strain on battery, without ignition being turned on, such things as windows up & down, but woldn't have thought it would put so much strain that ar requires a little boost, to get it going! Battery isnt that old either & from memory, would have to check records it is a new battery, couple years old. I suppose, now we don't do the lengthy trip to caravan, and trips to see friends, isn't helping.

Glad I purchased little gadget, 'bout size of mobile phone these days, to which you attach battery connectors-crocodile clips, and turn over. It just needs that little extra boost to get going.

Following on from that, hope all are well and 'behaving'. & to those that are ill, hope it isn't as bad as some have reported. Take care.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Batteries...again!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 03:09:04 PM »
Glad you're well. When prolonged cleaning of the car it is a good idea, if you are working with doors open, to switch the interior light to "permanent off" position.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 03:42:00 PM »
Hey, Jocko, Hope you're good and your family. I turned the central dome light to off position...once I got over the novelty of having 'repaired' it (see other post!). The only real things that put any strain on batery alone, that I can think of, were windows, all 4, and the locking/unlocking of car. Nothing else electric/al used. Also, once unlocked and windows are down, keys are not left in ignition on position 1 or 2, they are taken out & in pocket.

Don't know if it is a good idea or not, to just turn engine on and let it run for few minutes each day, or is this just using battery even more? Only say this as haven't yet researched question!

TY for the kind words and the thought.

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 07:08:23 PM »
Honda Jazz batteries.......I asked an AA patrolman about the Jazz, and he said the only thing he gets called out for with this car is the battery - it doesn't take much to flatten it, so leaving the interior light on, or playing the radio while parked up without the engine on is often all it takes.

Steve

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 10:14:57 PM »
I am onto my 4th one since 2012. Being a driving instructor, lots of stop starts but then my Ibiza only had two batteries. I left ignition on 1st position with clock in display and after half an hour it drain it. My mechanic said the battery size is small, that's why.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 11:18:34 AM »
Thank you for you posts. Have learnt to cost previosuly regarding having left interior light on overnight, obviously by accident...I know! And this has drained battery previously.

Had to use car yesterday for run to member of family who is self isolating due to working  on frontline, a nurse, and displaying/suffering symptoms (if it is 'it'). Currently (no pun intended) she is on day 3 and is described as being between very bad cold & flu symptoms. Looks like her hubby and toddler are so far escaping this, which cant be easy in same household! Needed 'script collecting/home made soup 'doorstep dropoff'.

We'll see if that has helped situation...generally does!

Ianskeldon

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2012 Jazz 1.4
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 07:37:29 PM »
Funny enough I have just fitted a battery to my 2012 Jazz, my old 2008 one had three in total before I part exd it. I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I apologise if it isn't.

Changed my battery thinking I had the radio code in the sleeve of the manual, except it doesn't work!

I have my VIN and the radio serial number but the dealer wants me to go in, probably so that they can extract more money from me. Anyone got any ideas about where to find the right code without going to the dealers?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ian

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:

Ianskeldon

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2012 Jazz 1.4
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 08:28:42 PM »
Wow just had a result, using the button 1 and 6 at the same time I got my radios serial number, went to this site https://hondaradiocodes.com which said it would get me the code for free. Got the code almost instantly, tried the first time and didn't work, then tried with engine running and bingo, radio now working and didn't cost a penny.

Many thanks to Jocko for his link, if the one I have put up doesn't work then the one Jocko has provided isn't expensive.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:31:39 PM by Ianskeldon »

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 03:10:06 PM »
As I am off work due to the virus crisis, and the DIY jobs are slowly getting done, I thought today was a good day to burn the weeds off the driveway, however when it came to moving the Jazz, the battery is dead. It hasn't been used for 3 weeks and after a jump start all seems OK, but 3 weeks should be OK, shouldn't it?
The car is 4.5 years old with 109k on the clock, so I would have thought its a bit early to replace the battery, although my last Jazz suffered battery failure at around a similar age, but I put that down to living on a new development with bad road surfaces.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 12:50:45 AM »
As I am off work due to the virus crisis, and the DIY jobs are slowly getting done, I thought today was a good day to burn the weeds off the driveway, however when it came to moving the Jazz, the battery is dead. It hasn't been used for 3 weeks and after a jump start all seems OK, but 3 weeks should be OK, shouldn't it?
The car is 4.5 years old with 109k on the clock, so I would have thought its a bit early to replace the battery, although my last Jazz suffered battery failure at around a similar age, but I put that down to living on a new development with bad road surfaces.

Likewise since Dvsa stopped all driving tests, I hadn't been teaching, Ozzie. My Ibiza had a new battery-Lion, fitted in February and I tried to start it end of March after two weeks...it was dead! So at present, I am using the Jazz and Ibiza alternatively. I went on holiday few years ago and left th car for a good three weeks and it started ok. Crazy, but I think our job involves a lot of stop/start journeys so battery doesn't charge full.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 08:17:35 AM »
I think our job involves a lot of stop/start journeys so battery doesn't charge full.
That could well be it because when I had my surgery and couldn't drive for 6 weeks, my car started no problem.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 02:07:54 PM »
It hasn't been used for 3 weeks and after a jump start all seems OK, but 3 weeks should be OK, shouldn't it?
It should be OK but obviously isn't. Honda aren't generous with the battery sizes (bigger batteries add more weight) and features such as the alarm slowly sip power. Plus, the "clever" charge management system might not be doing a good job of getting the battery fully charged when the vehicle is being used. The battery in my HR-V drops to about 11.8V after about 10 days of inactivity. Fortunately, it's parked just outside the garage so I periodically give the battery a top-up using a charger. For those without a power socket close to the vehicle then a solar charger should help provided it gets sun for part of the day.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Hondachap

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honnda Jazz
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 11:33:07 AM »

Likewise since Dvsa stopped all driving tests, I hadn't been teaching, Ozzie. My Ibiza had a new battery-Lion, fitted in February and I tried to start it end of March after two weeks...it was dead! So at present, I am using the Jazz and Ibiza alternatively. I went on holiday few years ago and left th car for a good three weeks and it started ok. Crazy, but I think our job involves a lot of stop/start journeys so battery doesn't charge full.
Also not used Jazz since DVSA stopped us working . Battery aok no problem starting first time today

Tags: