Author Topic: CVT what noises are normal?  (Read 1682 times)

I prefer rock

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 EXL 2013
CVT what noises are normal?
« on: February 11, 2019, 06:19:10 PM »
I have very recently bought a 1.4 CVT, (thank you for everyone's help in getting there), and I'm just getting used to the noises it makes.
Overall, the engine seems very quiet. However, I have noticed a different noise when accelerating. I've been thinking about how best to describe it. Maybe a bit like the sound of hot water going through a radiator at home, a sort of tinkling shhing sound. It does not make this sound in N, only D and I can't hear it in S, possibly as the engine is noisier? This is with all aircon / fans etc off, and it doesn't go away once the engine warms up.
It sounds as though it's coming from towards the left of the engine bay.
Could it be something to do with the CVT - I've read remarks about it being noisy? If so, is it normal?
Thanks

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: CVT what noises are normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 07:14:59 PM »
The CVT gearbox itself isn't noisy, road testers have been saying for years that it is but the increase in noise as you accelerate is from the engine revs.
It is possible that the noise you are hearing is the induction noise as you accelerate, drowned out by the increase in revs if in 'S' mode.The engine air intake is only just forward of the windscreen on the passenger side inside the engine compartment, fed by a duct on the bonnet from the front of the car. There is a gap between the duct and the intake.

Vic.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:42:03 PM by VicW »

evijaymohan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 Jazz ES CVT7
Re: CVT what noises are normal?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 04:35:38 PM »
I also raised a very similar concern, just I think it’s sort of metal chirping on rattling noise.

The Honda technician says it’s normal in all jazz and it’s related to engine and cvt belt. I am not convinced though.

I tried high octane petrol as was suggested here, but no change.

I do hear it in S mode as well, but it’s a bit
suppresses by revving noise.

Tried recording it, but mobile won’t pick up such noises.

So just living with it, if it increases, would take it to technician again.

Tags:

anything