Author Topic: Can't find ceramic brake pads for Jazz  (Read 5577 times)

Gibo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Dynamic
Can't find ceramic brake pads for Jazz
« on: December 01, 2023, 08:01:22 PM »
Hi All

I was looking all around online shops in Europe but no success to find ceramic brake pads for Jazz Dynamic 2018.
Most brands do not advertise pad material so maybe there are some and I just don't know.
Any idea or tip?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Can't find ceramic brake pads for Jazz
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 02:17:50 PM »
You mention Europe.  By searching as a Honda Fit,(as its known in the USA)   I have found a few ceramic pads in the USA.   I dont know if they will fit your car.  The sellers may not ship to Europe.    But by searching the make and part number of the pads  you  may find other suppliers, possibly some in Europe. Or the makers may have their own web site that can help. 

If you definately cant find any  then there are companies that reline  friction linings.   Here is one in the UK that say they can make brake pads to your own specification.  There may be others. 

https://www.applegate.co.uk/suppliers/industrial-friction-materials-ltd-1083413
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 02:31:30 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 06:57:02 PM »
Do they make much difference?

Gibo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 09:18:19 PM »
Ceramic is supposed to have less bite, at least  while still cold.
I really don't like how my brakes react on slight touch at slower speeds. Modulation is non existing, on-off.
Over 40km/h they get Ok.
With ceramic pads I hope to get it closer to my liking.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 11:05:50 AM »
My suggestion about getting them specially made may not be as daft as it sounds. There are quite a few companies in the Uk who  fit new lining material for  industrial machines etc, and you probably have similar companies locally.    Its quite possible they could remove the lining material from a set of used pads, or a cheap new set, and replace it with ceramic material.   They are experts and can probably obtain the correct material and bond it on  just as securely  as the manufacturers can. 

They might be more willing to do the job,and at a reasonable price , if you could persuade them your project might lead to more business. ;) 

I have read good things about ceramic pads, especially for those who drive  'enthusiastically ' or live in the mountains.

If you do manage to get some ceramic pads  please update  us with where you got them and how they perform.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 11:32:39 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 04:56:18 PM »
I really don't like how my brakes react on slight touch at slower speeds. Modulation is non existing, on-off.
Consider the idea of a total brake fluid change with a low viscosity  DOT4, such as an ATE SL6.

Gibo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 03:23:39 AM »
My suggestion about getting them specially made may not be as daft as it sounds. There are quite a few companies in the Uk who  fit new lining material for  industrial machines etc, and you probably have similar companies locally.    Its quite possible they could remove the lining material from a set of used pads, or a cheap new set, and replace it with ceramic material.   They are experts and can probably obtain the correct material and bond it on  just as securely  as the manufacturers can. 

They might be more willing to do the job,and at a reasonable price , if you could persuade them your project might lead to more business. ;) 

I have read good things about ceramic pads, especially for those who drive  'enthusiastically ' or live in the mountains.

If you do manage to get some ceramic pads  please update  us with where you got them and how they perform.

If I dont manage to find it I may give it a try. Will check with local company.

Gibo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 03:29:21 AM »
Consider the idea of a total brake fluid change with a low viscosity  DOT4, such as an ATE SL6.

Hi jazzaro

ATE SL6 seems very popular.
I am not sure if it will bring anything to my jazz 2018 Dynamic brake feel.
My jazz is braking amazingly powerful and fast, only thing I do not like is bite at low speed.
At low speed I have to be super gentle with brakes as, as soon as I touch it it brakes very hard and it is very hard to modulate it at that speed.
Over 30-40 km/h its fine.

Do you think changing the brake oil may sort this?
How big is the job for DIY to change the brake fluid?

Thanks

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023, 01:43:22 PM »
Do you think changing the brake oil may sort this?
I did it last year, and feeling changed in better, both for brakes and clutch.

How big is the job for DIY to change the brake fluid?
Easy but long,  the process needs a big syringe with a transparent hose.
First you suck all the old fluid inside the reservoir, then you fill the reservoir with the new fluid,  then you connect the hose to the brake caliper bleed valve, you slightly open it and you suck the fluid from it WHILE you keep topped the level inside the reservoir. When you see the new fluid coming out from the caliper, you close the valve and change caliper/wheel.
Pay attention to keep the reservoir topped to avoid air entering inside the circuit (an assistant is recommended) and to not wet any part of the car body with the brake fluid, since it's highly corrosive for painted surfaces. 
Remember that DOT specifications mean different fluid compositions: DOT3, DOT4, DOT5.1 are glycole based fluids and can be used in the same system (the higher is the DOT, the higher will be the boiling point but shorter the lifespan due to water contamination), DOT5 is a syliconic fluid that MUST NOT be mixed with other brake fluids (even with very small quantities)  and it needs specific rubber in hoses, pumps and caliper sealings.

Tags: