Author Topic: Display reseting on its own.  (Read 4335 times)

guest8014

Display reseting on its own.
« on: December 12, 2018, 04:37:07 PM »
When I got back to my vehicle the Radio asked to retune the Stations I had previously setup in the Station List. E.g. Radio 4 was missing. Ok afterwards.

When my partner came back from short drive the language had changed. She had not touched it!

Any clues? Thanks.

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
Re: Display reseting on its own.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 07:53:47 PM »
Each time you start the Jazz the Honda warning message appears on the display screen, just under the Ok button there is a button to change the language, it is too easy to select change language rather than ok to accept the Warning message. I have done this several times and had to wait until I next stop the car to set the language back to English.
I don't think the change langauage button should be on the start up Warning screen, the change language selection button being on the start up screen is not particularly safe.

guest8014

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 07:56:43 PM »
Thanks. I'll look at that. I find the notice a Bldy Nuisence! It detracts the driver when moving off and seems to reset to it under certain operations.

Still the Radio behaviour has still to be understood.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 09:36:39 PM »
I don't think the change langauage button should be on the start up Warning screen, the change language selection button being on the start up screen is not particularly safe.
Me neither but I'd go further and suggest that the warning should be removed. I don't know if legislation requires it or Honda just felt it was needed but it's an irritation.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 08:39:45 AM »
Me neither but I'd go further and suggest that the warning should be removed. I don't know if legislation requires it or Honda just felt it was needed but it's an irritation.

It is probably a legal defence somewhere, the USA maybe. Most of the generic warning stickers dotted around the car seem to say between the lines "Don't sue us, you were warned". It is cheaper to put the warnings on all cars rather than change them for small markets like the UK.

guest8014

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 08:58:52 AM »
Has anyone asked the dealer service dept. to change the program? Although I suspect the units they plug in do not have that particular option.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 10:42:24 AM »
Has anyone asked the dealer service dept. to change the program? Although I suspect the units they plug in do not have that particular option.

There are several discussions on the forum about removing or disabling the warning. The dealers can't do it and if they could would not for legal reasons. It's a case of live with it.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 11:23:23 AM »
Welcome to the infuriating world of the Honda Connect system !

It detracts the driver when moving off and seems to reset to it under certain operations.

If you find it a distraction, it doesn't really make much difference to your journey to pause & cancel it before driving off. If you really don't want to do that, just ignore it, it'll dim after a few seconds.

Under what conditions does it reappear ? I'm only aware of one circumstance where you might consider that that happens: if you don't cancel it initially so that the screen dims, but then want to use the system later, then tapping the menu button will bring the warning back and you have to acknowledge it before doing anything on the screen. Does yours do something different ?

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 04:15:26 PM »
Welcome to the infuriating world of the Honda Connect system !

It detracts the driver when moving off and seems to reset to it under certain operations.

If you find it a distraction, it doesn't really make much difference to your journey to pause & cancel it before driving off. If you really don't want to do that, just ignore it, it'll dim after a few seconds.
But then you lose a visible clock. For drivers that leave Cruise Control permanently switched on you lose the only visible clock. Although when the cabin is dark it is still possible to make out the time in the top right since the display doesn't actually switch off it just goes very, very dim and mostly empty. The clock will briefly appear if you do something that changes the infotainment state, for instance moving from one audio track to another :-/

dvhttn

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 Ex CVT
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 04:16:49 PM »
… Me neither but I'd go further and suggest that the warning should be removed. I don't know if legislation requires it or Honda just felt it was needed but it's an irritation.

It is an irritation. I drive Mercedes vans fairly often at work and they too have the same warning message appear on start-up. They're not touch screen radios though so the message disappears after a few seconds. Why can't the Jazz one do the same? And if the legislation said the warning has to be acknowledged by the driver before disappearing why don't the Mercs have you reaching for a button to dismiss it?

Annoying!
Dave
Carpe diem …

guest8014

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
I have seen the ‘Language’ option on the startup warning and both of these say to me that the designers are total idiots.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »
I have seen the ‘Language’ option on the startup warning and both of these say to me that the designers are total idiots.
To be fair to the designers, they do need to put the language option at the top of the menu tree, otherwise you'd have to browse through menus in a language you don't understand to find the right setting (had to do that on an old phone when some comedian changed the language setting to arabic !). But they could have made that button smaller or placed it further from the main button on that screen to make it less likely that anyone would tap it accidentally.

guest8014

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 12:38:55 PM »
Well actually it took me ages to navigate in a language I did not know to get it back to English. It would better to have a default English selection at the same place so when the world finally beats Gods stupid idea of creating many languages when the Tower of Babel was built we will all be talking sense.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »
Well actually it took me ages to navigate in a language I did not know to get it back to English.
Shouldn't have done, you get the language button every time you start the car. That's why it's one of the first things you see on the screen.

It would better to have a default English selection at the same place so when the world finally beats Gods stupid idea of creating many languages when the Tower of Babel was built we will all be talking sense.
English has a long way to go before it becomes a default language for any company seeking to sell their products world-wide:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 03:42:36 PM »
I suspect that when you add together first and second languages, English overtakes Spanish worldwide.  But it's interesting that there are over 5 times as many native Spanish speakers than French, but French was what we had to learn at school.

Tags:

anything