Author Topic: Children Returning to School  (Read 2635 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Children Returning to School
« on: February 22, 2021, 02:02:23 PM »
It was great to see the children's smiling faces returning to school, as shown on the TV news today. They all seemed enthusiastic.
School must have changed dramatically since I was a school kid. I was desperate for the holidays to come round and the last thing I wanted to do was return to school after the holidays were over.
And I was happy at school.....

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Children Returning to School
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 02:45:19 PM »
I was desperate for the holidays to come round and the last thing I wanted to do was return to school after the holidays were over.

Me too. I loved the summer holidays - drives me mad when I hear parents moaning that they're too long. I know people lead busy lives, but imagine having to look after your own kids for a bit!

Did you hear Nadhim Zahawi doing the media rounds this morning? He literally said that the schools are opening on March 8th because that’s 3 weeks after the middle of April, when all over 50s will have been vaccinated. He made the same blunder on BBC and Sky News, at least.

Is he simply an idiot, or reopening all schools 3 weeks before over 50s have even partial protection, and pretending it's the opposite?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 03:03:05 PM »
I think Scotland have right idea and are staggering school return by age group.

Down here they all go back together and I can see the infection rate rising again.
Let's be careful out there !

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 03:20:54 PM »

Did you hear Nadhim Zahawi doing the media rounds this morning? He literally said that the schools are opening on March 8th because that’s 3 weeks after the middle of April, when all over 50s will have been vaccinated. He made the same blunder on BBC and Sky News, at least.

Is he simply an idiot, or reopening all schools 3 weeks before over 50s have even partial protection, and pretending it's the opposite?
Good job they are going to be driven by data rather than dates then.  ::)

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/vaccines-minister-nadhim-zahawi-muddles-his-dates-up-ryPV77Vb
Added link (sorry about the long ad)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 03:26:59 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 04:59:37 PM »
I have been busy this afternoon, so I didn't see parliament, but I just had a look at the BBC website, and it says "Data, not dates", then gives a list of dates. Is it me that's going bonkers or what?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 05:19:27 PM »
I just had a look at the BBC website, and it says "Data, not dates", then gives a list of dates. Is it me that's going bonkers or what?

I don't think so. A lot of things aren't making much sense today.

"Data, not dates", but all schoolchildren returning together, instead of staggered return. 10 Million school children mixing with 450,000 (mostly unvaccinated) teachers indoors from 8th March, but only 2 people can meet outside.

"Data not dates", but the R number will no longer be taken into consideration when deciding relaxation of restrictions. I wonder if that's because schools opening is estimated to increase the R0 by up to 0.5?

Kirstie Allsopp doing her nut on twitter because 11-18 year olds will have to wear masks in school. "Why would we even think about covering their little smiles?", she says.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 11:18:21 PM »
I just had a look at the BBC website, and it says "Data, not dates", then gives a list of dates. Is it me that's going bonkers or what?

I don't think so. A lot of things aren't making much sense today.

"Data, not dates", but all schoolchildren returning together, instead of staggered return. 10 Million school children mixing with 450,000 (mostly unvaccinated) teachers indoors from 8th March, but only 2 people can meet outside.

"Data not dates", but the R number will no longer be taken into consideration when deciding relaxation of restrictions. I wonder if that's because schools opening is estimated to increase the R0 by up to 0.5?
There's a lot of it doesn't make sense.
I can see the point of the review period between the different stages of release of restrictions but what's the point of a review if there is no opportunity to reverse policies in the event of mistakes?
The dates are the earliest possible dates but the subtlety of that is going to be lost (perhaps intentionally) on a lot of people and all that will be remembered will be the dates.
I suspect the only data Boris Johnson is interested in is the data from opinion polls.

I hope there is a more pragmatic statement from Nicola Sturgeon tomorrow.

[link removed by Admin]

EDIT I see the Express is already printing a list of dates with no mention of any monitoring beforehand or earliest possible dates.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 08:13:07 PM by RichardA »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 04:43:32 AM »
I don't get it either.

They have released a full road map so holiday firms are yet again seeing a surge of bookings both home and abroad. Shops and venues will now be preparing for their 'dates' that may be delayed.

It only takes one release stage to introduce a significant infections rise and holidays and openings could be off again.

Let's be careful out there !

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 07:36:21 AM »
I have been busy this afternoon, so I didn't see parliament, but I just had a look at the BBC website, and it says "Data, not dates", then gives a list of dates. Is it me that's going bonkers or what?
No, you've just suffered a brief return to reality but now you are safe back in Topsyturvytoryland.
Beware the Jibberjonson and the Gobblegove.
(Apologies to Lewis Carroll.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:47:48 AM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 08:50:59 AM »
I don't get it either.

They have released a full road map so holiday firms are yet again seeing a surge of bookings both home and abroad. Shops and venues will now be preparing for their 'dates' that may be delayed.

It only takes one release stage to introduce a significant infections rise and holidays and openings could be off again.
Or worse

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 11:04:46 AM »
It will be so good for the children to get back to school, back in to a routine. The younger they are, the more important, especialy given the huge gap in their brief academic careers.

ALL of the school staff should be vaccinated prior to return however. Rt Hons Williamson & Hancock need to get that sorted now. Straight to the top of the list.   

Home learning is great, and the schools have been absolutely amazing in our experience. Teachers have done a great job, but ultimately a classroom works best.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 11:12:09 AM »
I am desperate for them to go back. My broadband has been rubbish since lockdown started.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 11:37:18 AM »

I hope there is a more pragmatic statement from Nicola Sturgeon tomorrow.

[link removed by Admin]

EDIT I see the Express is already printing a list of dates with no mention of any monitoring beforehand or earliest possible dates.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nicola-sturgeon-scotland-lockdown-announcement-what-time-b1805989.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 08:18:03 PM by RichardA »

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 12:53:23 PM »
It was great to see the children's smiling faces returning to school, as shown on the TV news today. They all seemed enthusiastic.
School must have changed dramatically since I was a school kid. I was desperate for the holidays to come round and the last thing I wanted to do was return to school after the holidays were over.
And I was happy at school.....
Where's the Angus Young  outfit?

[attachment deleted by admin]

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 03:21:46 PM »
For those interested :-
Nicola Sturgeon's statement to Scottish Parliament 23/02/21
Much more careful and cautious than Boris Johnson's "roadmap" yesterday.
No commitment to dates beyond end of April apart from broad indicative dates. Progress to be reviewed every three weeks and future progress to be determined then based on data available at the time.
Scotland to return to tiered system, which probably makes more sense in Scotland than England due to difference in population density between Highlands and Islands and Central Belt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000t0pv/scottish-parliament-covid19-statement

Coverage will be changing from live iplayer to iplayer soon. Coverage starts at about 14.10

Seems to be unavailable on iplayer yet. Here is a Guardian article with a condensed version
 https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/23/sturgeon-unveils-plans-for-easing-scotland-covid-restrictions

Edit . replaced live iplayer with archived iplayer
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 10:41:33 AM by JimSh »

Tags:

anything