Author Topic: All Season Tyres on Jazz CVT  (Read 2632 times)

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
All Season Tyres on Jazz CVT
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:56:20 AM »
Can anybody offer any advice/experience of all season tyres on a CVT Jazz? Winter is coming and the tyres (summer) are around 3 mm tread depth.

I am contemplating a change to Michelin Cross Climate Plus or Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 tyres.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: All Season Tyres on Jazz CVT
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:18:33 PM »
I have been running Michelin CCs since March. Quiet, comfortable . lots of grip in mud. No snow yet.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 05:04:10 PM »
I'm still on my Nokian winter tyres & steel wheels, I found a deal sometime ago with My Tyres and swop over every November to March.
I know of good reports on the more modern cross climates Michelin, Pirelli & Toyo.
The Honda Jazz on 16" alloys is an odd size plenty of winter only
Link below you can still get 3% cashback via Quidco
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 05:19:07 PM »
All season tyres are probably OK for Jazz 1.2 and 1.3 with its limited power,  but as for the 1.5 I am not sure, they reckon proper summer tyres should be used on more powerful cars.  Bear in mind that all season are a compromise, they are not as good in summer as a summer tyre and neither are they as good in winter as a winter tyre.  I would use all season if my car had pressure sensors built into the rim if only to save the twice yearly re-programming of the sensors to the ECU.  With ABS system of TPMS I use steel wheels in winter with winter tyres and alloys in summer with summer tyres.  This spreads the wear of the tyres and also protects those costly alloys from winter kerbing and salt damage.  Once you have the steel rims the winter tyres are not expensive,  especially if you go for 175/65R15 size,  which are better in snow than the wider tyres anyway, and a lot cheaper because more get sold.  The steel wheels also protect the brakes better from salt and water as there are a lot less open areas in the rim than in an alloy wheel.  The added benefit is that you can use a winter wheel as a spare in summer and a summer wheel as a spare in winter, saving the cost of a separate spare wheel ( or a spacesaver,  I have driven on a spacesaver a couple of times and it is a horrible experience - keep away from spacesavers if you can).

I have driven CVT cars in snow and they cope pretty well because with a light right foot they always select the highest gear they can and put power down gently through the tyres, which minimises wheel spin.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/all-season-tyres-vs-summer-tyres
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:38:55 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

AlanTR

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 04:26:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input. I have now fitted a set of Goodyear All Seasons tyres - at £77 each they were significantly cheaper than Michelin Crossclimate. I used website tyrereviews.co.uk for guidance and the Goodyear vs. Michelin test results were very close.

I'm aware of the limitations of all season tyres and will be driving carefully. I used winter tyres for several years on a previous car (Hyundai IX20) but the annual tyre changeovers summer/winter/summer were an added cost I wanted to avoid.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 05:03:47 PM »
I can understand that Alan. Another issue for many will be lack of storage at home. Putting them in a tyre hotel is another cost to add to the annual change. I'm lucky in that I don't do a big mileage and it's rare I absolutely have to go out in really bad weather. We don't get much snow and ice either and the terrain is flat.

At my previous address - just on the edge of the Peak District - I might well have gone for an all season tyre.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 09:39:58 PM »
I use Nexen N'Blue 4S and Maxxis AP2 all seasons tyres. Great value and the former dealt with the Brest from the East with flying colours. Used CrossClimate too but you have to pay alot for them.

Tags:

anything