Author Topic: Catalytic converter stolen from my Jazz  (Read 5473 times)

Alice

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2005 automatic
Catalytic converter stolen from my Jazz
« on: October 19, 2020, 05:00:12 PM »
Hi everyone, last night some low lives stole catalytic converter from our Honda Jazz 2005 1339cc auto. They cat through exhaust pipe and ripped out the lambda sensors. >:(  I wonder if anyone here managed to fix their car after this by only paying to a garage for work and buying the parts online or from scrap yards. If you did that where is the best place to find all the parts?

My other question is what did you do to protect the converter being stolen again?  I have looked online and found some kind of shield/cover but I don't know if it will help to protect it.

Any advise is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 07:14:10 PM by Alice »

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Re: Catalytic converter stolen from my Jazz
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 07:34:41 PM »
That's really bad news, it seems the GD Jazz is an easy and regular target.

Unfortunately I can't offer any advice but I guess if they are determined,  no reasonable amount of protection is likely to deter them.

Alice

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 08:58:32 PM »

Unfortunately I can't offer any advice but I guess if they are determined,  no reasonable amount of protection is likely to deter them.

Thank you for your answer UKjim, when we called police they confirmed that Honda Jazz 2005 is the most targeted  car for catalytic converters theft. One of our friends had the same bad luck and when they paid lots of money to fix the car and installed a new converter just 2 days after it was stolen again. It is why I think there is no pint to install a new converter without protection.

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 09:05:53 PM »

Thank you for your answer UKjim, when we called police they confirmed that Honda Jazz 2005 is the most targeted  car for catalytic converters theft. One of our friends had the same bad luck and when they paid lots of money to fix the car and installed a new converter just 2 days after it was stolen again. It is why I think there is no pint to install a new converter without protection.
Making me think I should be protecting ours, please let us know if you find something cost effective and economical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 09:27:10 PM »
Others have posted both a kit of parts to replace a stolen cat and various anti-theft solutions. If you search the Mk 1 section, you will find the information you are looking for. My car is garaged, so I am not at such a risk, but if I have to leave it, I plug my dashcam into a separate power pack and leave the camera running hoping that if it is stolen, I might catch an image of the ba$tard$ that stole it. I also have a cheap 3rd party cat on my car, and they are not worth much to the thief.

Alice

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 04:44:49 PM »
Others have posted both a kit of parts to replace a stolen cat and various anti-theft solutions. If you search the Mk 1 section, you will find the information you are looking for. My car is garaged, so I am not at such a risk, but if I have to leave it, I plug my dashcam into a separate power pack and leave the camera running hoping that if it is stolen, I might catch an image of the ba$tard$ that stole it. I also have a cheap 3rd party cat on my car, and they are not worth much to the thief.

Hi Jocko, we also keep our Jazz in the garage, this happened when I was visiting my friend and parked on her driveway. Our friend got her cat stolen in broad daylight on a Tesco parking, so it can happen anywhere.

Thank you for your advice, I will take a look in the Mk 1 section.

Would you be so kind and tell what model of 3rd party cat did you buy and where? Can you really see the difference in shape or size from the original Honda cat?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:49:41 PM by Alice »

Alice

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 04:48:47 PM »

Making me think I should be protecting ours, please let us know if you find something cost effective and economical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only solution I found so far is a shield/cover on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284016253027?&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId
But I haven't order it yet as I would like to know first if someone else used it and it actually works as theft prevention.

UKjim

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 06:10:46 PM »
I too saw that eBay item, but can’t imagine that 6 self tappers will deter most thiefs.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 06:30:49 PM »
Just like the older hubcap sites - where 99% of people looking for hubcaps were doing so because theirs had been stolen, the majority looking for CATS is because theirs had been nicked,  it is a complete fiscal cycle... I wonder how many have a actually bought their own CAT back.    It is more profitable to sell complete CATS than to break them down for metals...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Alice

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 11:22:49 PM »
I too saw that eBay item, but can’t imagine that 6 self tappers will deter most thiefs.
I wonder if it is possible to attach this shield with some extra reinforcement, like on the attached photo. Or make extra holes and pull through them strong metal wires.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 09:23:46 AM »
Even tamperproof screws.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 01:09:26 PM »
Here's one of the stolen cat threads https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11266.0 .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Alice

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 02:45:37 PM »
Here's one of the stolen cat threads https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11266.0 .

Thank you John, I have read through this thread but unfortunately didn't find any devise that can protect a catalytic converter from being cut of the exhaust with a reciprocating saw. This is how they removed our cat, it took them just over 1 minute.  :(

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 04:03:36 PM »
I have read through this thread but unfortunately didn't find any devise that can protect a catalytic converter from being cut of the exhaust with a reciprocating saw. This is how they removed our cat, it took them just over 1 minute.  :(

I don't think you are going to stop anyone determined enough. A reciprocating saw is unusual because of the noise they make, most of these bandits just use a manual exhaust pipe cutter - takes no time at all and is almost silent.

The best/cheapest idea I could come up with is to get 3-4 pieces of steel rebar bent and welded to the front pipe of the cat before fitting, along the whole of the short part which is accessible. It would prevent the use of a pipe cutter, and would slow down a reciprocating saw, and probably blunt a blade or two.

The high tensile steel cable solutions can also be effective if carefully thought out, almost impossible to cut with either tool.

This is probably the cheapest way to buy the parts you need.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catalytic-Converter-Exhaust-Stolen-on-your-Honda-Jazz-This-is-the-kit-you-need/164167891065
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 04:14:04 PM by sparky Paul »

Alice

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 04:16:27 PM »
I have read through this thread but unfortunately didn't find any devise that can protect a catalytic converter from being cut of the exhaust with a reciprocating saw. This is how they removed our cat, it took them just over 1 minute.  :(

I don't think you are going to stop anyone determined enough. A reciprocating saw is unusual because of the noise they make, most of these bandits just use a manual exhaust pipe cutter - takes no time at all and is almost silent.

The best idea I could come up with is to get 2-3 piece of steel rebar bent and welded to the front pipe of the cat, the whole of the short part which is accessible. It would prevent the use of a pipe cutter, and would slow down a reciprocating saw, and probably cost several blades.

This is probably the cheapest way to buy the parts you need.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catalytic-Converter-Exhaust-Stolen-on-your-Honda-Jazz-This-is-the-kit-you-need/164167891065

Thank you so much Paul for the answer. and for the link!

When our cat was stolen I actually heard the sound of the saw but it took me 1 minute to understand that something is going on as my first thought was that is is a motorcycle.  When I opened the door they were already finished, I saw them threw jump in to their car and drive away. It was dark so I couldn't see them properly or the car plates.
I am not that handy with cars so I need to ask a garage mechanic to fit everything on the car. Can a garage have this  steel rebar or do I need to buy it somewhere else?

Also what do you think about this shield covering the cat and part of the centre section? See photo attached.

Tags: