Author Topic: Jazz 1.4 ES ISHIFT wont change gear when cold  (Read 3346 times)

guest3992

Jazz 1.4 ES ISHIFT wont change gear when cold
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:16:29 PM »
Hi there,

I have had my Jazz ISHIFT for just over a week now (2010 plate) and it wont change gear first thing in the morning. It wont let me change using the flappy paddles either until i've moved around 100 meters, then it lets me change to second manually. eventually after around 200 meters its all fine and dandy, but if I park on a busy road then cars will be up my backside beeping their horns.
I took it into Honda (Bristol) and they checked it out, then telling me there was nothing wrong with it.
Has anyone else had these symptoms?

Cheers

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
Re: Jazz 1.4 ES ISHIFT wont change gear when cold
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
Many years ago I had a Ford Escourt which would not go into gear when cold.  The oil was changed to a different viscosity and the problem disappeared
If music be the food of love, play on

caseyjones

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 12:46:52 AM »
My iShift is just the same; it's perfectly normal. I particularly notice it changing from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. The gearbox control system is designed to change up at a higher engine speed when the car is cold. This is to warm the engine faster and avoid labouring. Add to this the fact that the gearchange mechanism will naturally operate a little slower when it's cold and stiff and you have exactly the symptoms you describe. You just need to be a bit more patient when the car is cold, and rev the engine a bit higher before you attempt to change up. By the time the cold engine warning light goes out, everything should be as normal.

guest3992

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 07:56:14 AM »
Thanks for that. I will try giving it some more beans next time I drive it. 

Tags:

anything