Author Topic: New owner, is it worth getting the service plan and Hondacare package  (Read 7859 times)

guest7642

Hi all,

Next Tuesday I am going to collect a Jazz 18 plate pre-reg 1.3 SE manual - looking forward to it and hopefully contributing a little on here.

I realise that these cars should be fairly bulletproof from new but, as I have not owned a Honda before, was wondering if the 5 years servicing for £599 and the Hondacare (warrantly and roadside assistance) extended to 5 years for £350 are good value.

In particular are 5 services likely to cost me more than £120 / service.  I realise that the Hondacare probably somes more down to your personal appetite for risk.

Thanks
Tim

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: New owner, is it worth getting the service plan and Hondacare package
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 12:23:50 PM »
My two services on my 65 plate have cost about £200 each year so your quote sounds good value to me.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
Don't forget that the price will probably not include the price of consumables.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:21:42 PM by trebor1652 »

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 12:49:13 PM »
I have a hybrid, but the services are a similar price to a non-hybrid Jazz.
The service costs are normally  £165, £265, £165, £265, £165, so around £1000 for the 5 services. so £600 isn't a bad saving. :)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 01:20:48 PM »
The service package is great value for money.In my opinion it's a no brainer. When it expires after 5 years, Honda servicing costs a lot more.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 02:37:23 PM »
I also think the 5 year service plan is a no-brainer. The plan belongs to the vehicle so any residual services ought to be reflected in the price should you sell before the plan is used up.

We don't read of many problems with Honda vehicles which would have been covered by a two year warranty extension. Ozzie's recent gearbox problem with his Hybrid Jazz was after 6 1/2 years (and 1/4 million miles!). I recall that at one stage vehicles serviced by the Honda agents were getting an extension of the Hondacare breakdown recovery cover. Is this still the case?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 02:41:36 PM »
I have had the service package on all 3 of my Jazz's and it has included consumables, I have not paid for a service since 2009 and my current Jazz is covered until 2020. My package did nott include 5 years of breakdown cover, hopefully I will not need it in year 4 or 5.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 03:32:31 PM »
My package did nott include 5 years of breakdown cover, hopefully I will not need it in year 4 or 5.

I thought breakdown cover was part of the Warranty, not the Service Package ?

guest7642

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 03:42:56 PM »
Thanks for the quick comments guys - makes me feel more comfortable to know that there is an informed and helpful crowd out there. 

It really does sound like a no-brainer unless you cannot find the cash upfront.

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/campaigns/599-servicing.html

Details of both are here.

So 5 yrs service is £599 and *if* you buy that then the 2 yr warranty and recovery extension is £350

Thanks
Tim

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 04:09:31 PM »
I paid £555 for the 5 year package 2 years ago, and it is very good value. It does include consumables such as oils etc, but not discs, pads and tyres.  So far after 22,000 miles and 2 services I have paid nothing.  I will have to pay for MOT when due.  I thought Honda care, or certainly roadside assistance, was also for 5 years, but I may be wrong. £350 for 2 years extra may not be such a good deal - they are very reliable cars!  With my Mk 2 Jazz, I took out a 2 year extension after 5 years ( I.e. Up to 7 years) and this included service, MOT and roadside assistance, but not warranty.

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 04:16:40 PM »
I normally buy the service plans on any new car as you get a hefty discount on the normal prices . The Honda Service deal is really good value for five years. I also bought the two year warranty extension because I think it adds value to the car if you have sell. The normal price of the Honda extra two years on the warranty is £850 so £350 is a good discount.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 04:50:46 PM »
My package did nott include 5 years of breakdown cover, hopefully I will not need it in year 4 or 5.

I thought breakdown cover was part of the Warranty, not the Service Package ?

I think it is but, with my previous Jazz I bought a service package and that included breakdown cover even after the warranty expired.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 06:10:53 PM »
I think it is but, with my previous Jazz I bought a service package and that included breakdown cover even after the warranty expired.

The dealers can include complimentary roadside assistance with each service - but I've found you have to ask for it.  Son-in-law, who has one of our old Jazz's, was caught out as he didn't ask, car had a flat battery and when he called they denied him assistance.   I'd be outraged, but he's one of these people that doesn't think about money - he just called the AA and gave them £200!

Note that the coverage is a bit more limited than the full package - I haven't analysed it in detail, but it's UK only, for instance.

http://www.honda.co.uk/content/honda/en_gb/cars/owners/breakdown-assistance/_jcr_content/par1/richtextcolumn_988c/par/richtextdownload_26d/file.res/Complimentary-Roadside-Assistance-Honda-Full-Terms.pdf
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:12:24 PM by Rory »

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 07:37:18 PM »
  I will have to pay for MOT when due. 

I had a 5 year service plan on my Jazz and Civic they both came with free MOT for life by my dealer provided it is serviced annually by them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 08:51:18 PM by Hobo »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 09:46:10 PM »
I think what the above thread shows is that dealers have a lot of discretion in terms of what they offer and what's included. I've got an odd deal with my dealership. I've taken finance out to buy my current car because it includes 2 free services. I had to do some maths on this one and it soon became clear that the interest payments on the finance would far exceed the value of the 2 services. However, under the deal I signed up to, the service plan is issued after the 4th payment. At that point I can settle the finance in full. The charges (interest and early redemption) come to £225 after 4 months - the services are worth about £500.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 10:20:20 PM »
I think what the above thread shows is that dealers have a lot of discretion in terms of what they offer and what's included. I've got an odd deal with my dealership. I've taken finance out to buy my current car because it includes 2 free services. I had to do some maths on this one and it soon became clear that the interest payments on the finance would far exceed the value of the 2 services. However, under the deal I signed up to, the service plan is issued after the 4th payment. At that point I can settle the finance in full. The charges (interest and early redemption) come to £225 after 4 months - the services are worth about £500.

Cheaper to buy a rubber stamp for the service book.  I am sceptical about FSH even from Honda - we have bought 2 to 3 year old cars from Honda with full dealer service history and found rusty oil filters and black air and cabin filters - hopefully they did change the engine oil but oil filter looked original due to amount of rust on the outside,  I have never seen a rusty oil filter when I change ours every 12 months,  and air and cabin filters take more than 12 months to get in that state. Even plugs only need changing every 70,000 miles now.

IMHO Service history is a bit of blackmail really by dealers, I would check the work that they supposedly do when car comes back from a service (it is easy enough to check air and cabin filters and look at the dipstick to make sure oil is clean).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: