Author Topic: First prang  (Read 2029 times)

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: First prang
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2022, 07:37:31 AM »
I hope the repair is good and your next insurance quote doesn't go sky high.
That is the danger.  There will indubitably be a significant increase as discussed on other threads.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 10:21:44 AM »
I dared to tell her that if she'd checked the mirror before hard braking she might have realised what might happen. Mrs still denies that she made a mistake.
What do you think?
That You're a brave man ;D

The main fault is with the driver behind who should ensure they are able  to stop, whatever unexpected event occurred. And insurers would typically regard them as to blame  ,but as the Insurance industry  know they will win some and lose some it may not be  worth their while  spending too much effort apportioning blame.

I'd say  a driver should be constantly aware of traffic  all around them   and therefore already aware in good time  if  there is a car too close  behind . This gives you time to protect yourself by braking sooner and more gently,or  to justify  not stopping suddenly on an amber. Or if its a persistent twit ,time to move out of their way. 

Safer driving is not just about not making your own  mistakes .  With good hazard perception you can anticipate when others might  make mistakes and protect yourself from them.   Its a bit like the proverbial grave stone epitaph   " He was in the right  , but he is  still right here"

But  saying you should look in the mirror  before heavy braking  is to some extent leaving it too late. Having to brake hard  is sometimes  a result of the drivers own poor hazard perception and late reaction.  If you have no option but to stop in a hurry you may not have time to look in the  mirror.   Amber lights is a bit of an exception. You often have time to check mirror and decide if its safe to stop.If its not safe the light will still be amber and its legal to carry on.   If its a bit tight and you havnt time to check, its usually best to assume its not safe and carry on, as the light will still be amber (wont it  .  If its now red you have no excuse for your tardiness and should be ashamed of yourself.)

So I dare say your wifes hazard perception could ,like most of us ,do with some improvement.  (I dare say it, but will you  ;) )

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 01:13:24 PM »
I dared to tell her that if she'd checked the mirror before hard braking she might have realised what might happen. Mrs still denies that she made a mistake.
What do you think?
That You're a brave man ;D

So I dare say your wifes hazard perception could ,like most of us ,do with some improvement.  (I dare say it, but will you  ;) )
No.  :'(
Neil Ives

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 01:15:16 PM »
That is the danger.  There will indubitably be a significant increase as discussed on other threads.
I had to decide if paying for the repair without letting my insurance company know would be cost effective;  I thought not.
Neil Ives

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 01:36:38 PM »
I had to decide if paying for the repair without letting my insurance company know would be cost effective;  I thought not.
I think you were correct in your assessment. It does look like costly damage.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2022, 01:58:06 PM »
I agree. It looks quite costly.  The rear door skin looks quite distorted and probably needs  reskinning, likely also the front.   (partly  judging by the distortion in your reflection when you took the photo.  Or maybe thats how you normally look  and the damage will come out with T cut   ;D )

Sill probably more complicated than it looks. On a cheap and cheerful  private job on an older car they might pull the dents out with a slide hammer,plus a bit of panel beating and filler  ,but it  would probably still cost more than you stand to lose on excess ,ncb and quotes.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2022, 03:36:45 PM »
I agree. It looks quite costly.  The rear door skin looks quite distorted and probably needs  reskinning, likely also the front.   (partly  judging by the distortion in your reflection when you took the photo.  Or maybe thats how you normally look  and the damage will come out with T cut   ;D )

Sill probably more complicated than it looks. On a cheap and cheerful  private job on an older car they might pull the dents out with a slide hammer,plus a bit of panel beating and filler  ,but it  would probably still cost more than you stand to lose on excess ,ncb and quotes.

If the internal door crash beams are distorted then it's a new door frame and skin job. £2k. Don't ask how I know.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2022, 07:47:04 PM »
Hi.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
If you need any help with insurance come renewal time please don't hesitate to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2022, 10:59:51 PM »
Hi.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
If you need any help with insurance come renewal time please don't hesitate to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Thank you Dan. My current insurance is from AXA via the AA. I have max NCB.

Is AF an insurance company or a broker?
Neil Ives

Tags: