Author Topic: Mix use of tyres in a used car just bought  (Read 4133 times)

yahanma

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: SE CVT
Mix use of tyres in a used car just bought
« on: August 16, 2021, 10:06:58 PM »
I bought a high mileage 16 jazz automatic last week from Evans Halshaw. They did replace four new tyres but I just noticed that the four new tyres are from three brands. Pirelli for the two front tyres, Michelin and Arrowspeed for the two back ones. I contacted them but they said they just made sure that all tyres are above 3mm but did not specifically choose a brand of tyre. Is this an acceptable explanation for the mix-use of tyres? I understand that it should be common practice to use the same make on the same axel. Even though they do not specifically choose a brand they should choose the same rather than randomly select any tyres. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Mix use of tyres in a used car just bought
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 10:21:32 PM »
It sounds like shoddy practice to me.  I would insist on the replacement tyres being brand new identical tyres, even if you have to pay a bit more for them.

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 10:23:44 PM »
Not acceptable in my view. It is not unreasonable to expect that all four tyres grip the same, particularly on slippery surfaces.
Thankfully the two front tyres are the same. But there is a disparity between front and back, and there is a disparity between left and right on the rear axle.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 10:37:21 PM »
they just made sure that all tyres are above 3mm
Welcome. This suggests to me that they didn't fit new tyres but just what they had lying around, used. Personally, I have run cars for years on mixed makes of tyres. Replaced one at a time with whatever was available at the time. Never noticed any issues.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 01:52:09 AM »
If it bothers you, get some money back off them and use it to buy a matching pair of brand new tyres and stick them in the front. I don’t think it is unsafe but it would offend my OCD sensibilities.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 06:57:56 AM »
Three of the tyres are good quality makes, but who are Arrowspeed? Is the Arrowspeed a budget tyre where the others are  premium tyres.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 07:44:20 AM »
What would annoy me is looking at the back of the car and seeing 2 different tread patterns.

A Honda dealer did that to me in 2010. Got a nail that couldn't be repaired so they fitted a tyre with a V tread whilst the other was straight.

A reason I won't use that Honda dealer again even though it is my closest. Same dealer that supplied the car new in a shocking state.

Tyre pressures ranged from 25 to 36
Rear numberplate seriously wonky
Floor mats not anchored
Red battery terminal cover hanging off
Front windows not working

That was 12 years ago and they have changed hands but I'm still not confident.
Let's be careful out there !

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 07:57:42 AM »
Like Jocko, I'd assume they've put on whatever they had on the shelf, I wouldn't be overly worried, they're all legal and the car’s not being used on a race track (I assume, lol), I've been driving Jazzes for 15 years, sometimes on nearly end of life, budget, mixed brand tyres without 'losing it'..
If it's a serious concern to you, ask them to change the Arrowspeed for a matching Michelin, if they refuse, then take it elsewhere & pay to have one fitted.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 10:19:24 AM »
Three of the tyres are good quality makes, but who are Arrowspeed? Is the Arrowspeed a budget tyre where the others are  premium tyres.

Yes. Arrowspeed is a budget tyre. I was offered one a few years back by a mobile tyre fitter.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 10:25:16 AM »
I'd be uncomfortable having different tread patterns, or a major difference in tread depth, on the same axle.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 10:30:42 AM »
You may have problems with the "deflation warning system"
Honda recomends that "tyres be replaced with the same brand,model and size of the original". Thats page 444 of the manual .

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »
You may have problems with the "deflation warning system"
Honda recomends that "tyres be replaced with the same brand,model and size of the original". Thats page 444 of the manual .

That's a good shout.  In fact I would tell them that it keeps going off and you have to keep resetting it.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 02:33:22 PM »
in your case i would ask for matching tyres due to obtaining the car from a dealer.. but not all discount tyres are bad . when i had my old Subaru forester i used to get a full matching set of Windforce tyres . (some budget make lol) but to be honest they were damn good lasted and good on motorway journeys etc. a full set fitted and balanced were under £200. had a set on my old manual forester and 2 sets on my auto. il be getting 2 of that brand on the front of my jazz before the winter

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 05:12:10 PM »
they just made sure that all tyres are above 3mm
Welcome. This suggests to me that they didn't fit new tyres but just what they had lying around, used. Personally, I have run cars for years on mixed makes of tyres. Replaced one at a time with whatever was available at the time. Never noticed any issues.

Yes - in the past I've had some odd combinations on cars I've bought. I've also had situations where, in an emergency, I've had to take a non matching tyre after a non repairable puncture. I guess if you drive at the limits as it were it could be an issue but I haven't had any bad experiences.

As far as the OP goes, however, I might be a bit put out and there may well be a problem with the TPMS as others have pointed out.

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2021, 07:18:35 PM »
I've just read the first post again and although mentioning tyre brands, there's no mention whether the tyre model within that brand (Pirelli) is actually the same.

In an ideal world I would personally prefer to have a set of four matching tyres - both brand and model. You then have comparable grip level/performance/wear rates, and interchangeability between axles.

As a minimum, I would expect to have matching brand and model across each axle.

Tags:

anything