Author Topic: Skoda Fabia.  (Read 21109 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Skoda Fabia.
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2023, 04:09:16 PM »
After the Fabia goes I will be hanging up my keys. Hopefully not for a few more years (it still hasn't done 70,000 miles). Compared to my Mk 1 Jazz the Fabia is quieter, more comfortable and nicer to drive, though the boot is tiny and I know I will miss the "Magic seats".

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2023, 04:42:41 PM »
Similar here. This Jazz will be my last car.

Getting expensive and road manners aren't what they used to be. Too many idiots.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2023, 05:57:46 PM »
A pal and I had a morbid conversation a year or so back about whether you would know which car will be your last.

I think my Jazz Mk4 is the last car I will own and I used to change my cars a bit more than most (for a large chunk of my working life I got a mileage allowance from my job and I used that as a car fund).

I just don't have any desire to change the Jazz - I certainly don't need to with my tiny mileage.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2023, 06:42:21 PM »
I certainly don't need to with my tiny mileage.
I know. I filled up for the second time since my first full tank on the 3rd of January - after 628 miles!

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2023, 08:55:30 PM »
I filled up for the second time since my first full tank on the 3rd of January - after 628 miles!
You'll be a while collecting enough green shields stamps to be of any use then!  :D

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2023, 09:00:00 PM »
Remember the days when you got soup mugs? My daughter worked in the local filling station and every time someone got one and didn't want it she brought it home. We had enough to start a soup kitchen,

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2023, 09:23:35 PM »
Actualy, no. I didn't pass my test until 1989!  :D Think they were out of use by then. I just remember my dad collecting them years ago.

BTW, have you remembered to tell your insurers you do <2k mpa? It could have a positive impact on your premium and save you a few quid.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2023, 04:27:15 AM »
There used to be a lower limit where low mileage can have a detrimental effect.

My broker friend told me it was ~4k miles a year but that doesn't seem to be an issue lately.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2023, 04:41:33 PM »
I was currently on 4K a year but when I phoned up to haggle my price for the coming year's insurance (which starts in a week's time), after getting it down a bit I asked if reducing my mileage to 1.5K would reduce it further. The girl checked and said it made no difference. So I left it at 4K a year.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2023, 06:22:32 PM »
I've always found that quotes for mileages of 4, 6 or 10k have been very little different,  maybe a few ££ a year but not significant in the big scheme of things.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2023, 08:24:40 PM »
When I was running back and forward, from Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh (before Mum passed), I started off at 12K then put it up to 16K and it made very little difference.
I had to do a wee repair today. The exhaust started wuffling and it was the joint between the cat and the middlebox. The joint is just a spiral sleeve with a clamp on either end. The original clamps had rusted away and someone had replaced them with jubilee clips, which had also rusted away. I fitted a couple of stainless steel clamps which should see the car out. The exhaust system is actually the original, from new. How you can tell is if the middle and rear box are joined by a fixed pipe it is factory fitted. Replacements are joined between the boxes with a second sleeve.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2023, 08:51:25 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me it was on its original exhaust. My mk1 Octi was still on original exhaust, clutch, rear brake shoes etc at 160k. Old VAG stuff was good quality, and I think Skoda quality control was very tight early on given they had an reputation that needed improving.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2023, 09:41:04 AM »
The Fabia uses the same parts as the Polo and the Ibiza.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2023, 09:43:53 AM »
My old Yaris was on its original exhaust at 100k mls and 21yrs when I sold it.
Back in the day leaded fuel shortened exhaust lifetime dramatically because it contained "scavengers" which used halogens to combine with the lead to stop it getting deposited. The problem was that they tended to make stuff like hydrochloric acid with the condensation,  which rotted the exhaust from the inside.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2023, 11:40:55 AM »
Yes - I remember replacing exhausts was a regular event. I can't remember when I last had to do it.

Tags: