Author Topic: Car theft and Keyless entry.  (Read 3098 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Car theft and Keyless entry.
« on: November 28, 2022, 01:59:04 PM »
It is in the news today that according to Aviva, over the last two years, motorists with keyless vehicles are around twice as likely to make a theft claim as those with vehicles which are not keyless. Now I understand that older vehicles tend not to have keyless entry and newer vehicles are more attractive to a car thief but still, that is a worrying statistic. They are recommending, among other things, "Seemingly old-fashioned mechanical devices – such as a steering wheel or foot pedal lock – can be a useful visible deterrent, encouraging thieves to think twice."

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/drivers-keyless-vehicles-twice-likely-103142353.html

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Car theft and Keyless entry.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 02:14:32 PM »
Which sort of defeats the convenience and speed advantages of keyless.

It seems the scrotes are attracted to German and Range Rovers.

Those of us with the lowly Jazz and the disable key buttons press should be safer.
Let's be careful out there !

guest9236

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 03:49:53 PM »
Which sort of defeats the convenience and speed advantages of keyless.

It seems the scrotes are attracted to German and Range Rovers.

Those of us with the lowly Jazz and the disable key buttons press should be safer.

I did see once a sticker on a van saying “THIS VEHICLE  IS PROTECTED BY A DOBERMAN WITH AIDS”

I’m sure the intending perpetrators would perhaps not risk it incase there  maybe such a creature within.

Or perhaps the Warning  PLEASE BE AWARE the driver of this vehicle is suffering from LONG COVID.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 07:19:23 PM »
At one place where I worked, we had a jobbing plumber who used to come in for wee jobs. This day, my mate and I were in the yard and walking past his Bedford CF van. His Doberman was in the front with the window slightly open. It barked, so my mate went up to the window and barked back. The dog got even more vocal. Once Bill was tired of winding up the dog we continued on our way, only to find the rear doors of the van were open and there stood the dog. Bill was off like a shot.
When I told the plumber the story he said Bill was perfectly safe as the dog would not set foot out of the van. Just don't try getting in it!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 05:13:18 AM »
Years ago one ploy was to steal the locking fuel flap. They would take this and find a key that fitted, then go back for the car as the same key fitted fuel flap, doors and ignition.

One of the night engineers at a London bus garage had a Cortina MK3 flap stolen.

Knowing what was coming he wired one of those inside commercial red fire alarms under the dash. Sure enough, one night, the alarm went off and the thief was found close by holding his ears.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 05:43:26 PM »
A relevant news report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-64151619. Fortunately a Jazz is unlikely to be attractive.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 10:44:11 AM »
A relevant news report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-64151619. Fortunately a Jazz is unlikely to be attractive.
This report is nothing new. Expensive vehicles, vans, excavators etc have been stolen and shipped to Africa and other poorly regulated countries for years  ,Long before keyless entry.  And the methods criminals used to target and steal them,and get keys  was  equally worrying for the owners. Home burglary, car jacking etc. 
UK Border/police  control of exports and outbound 'containers  is woeful.  Thats the way to reduce the criminal trade. Cars, stolen cat converters etc etc .

Cutting cars in half is nothing new either. In Greece there are thousands of half cars sitting on racks in salvage yards  .Not just the  front and rear end panels you often see on racks in other countries.  Literally the whole car cut in half behind the A or B pillars.   Presumably half cars are easier to import, or cutting local scrapped cars in  half ends their identity and liability for continued  road taxes etc. A bit like Sorn in the uk only stricter . Most seem to be relatively modest cars, and probably legitimate write offs,  but some  may be stolen.  And much easier to convince officials  at various borders and licencing departments that half a  Range Rover or whatever is nothing unusual.   I have often sat at border crossings behind  a van and trailer with 2 or 3 salvage'  cars that are waived through quicker than I was.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 11:00:19 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 02:03:26 PM »
UK Border/police  control of exports and outbound 'containers  is woeful.
Considering that Felixstow alone handles 10.000 containers a day, the chances of stopping a container with stolen goods are minimal. I would rather the Police and Border Control did other, more important things, than waste time trying to catch the odd rogue container. If you leave your keys where a burglar can find them then good luck to you.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 03:00:01 PM »
My first thought was, if I had a £100k desirable motor and had to leave it on the driveway, especially overnight, I'd be getting a good quality steering wheel device.

Sort of defeats the speed and convenience keyless is supposed to deliver though.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 03:11:18 PM »
Car keys are on the hall table or in the kitchen drawer .................................

Hands up how many leave their keys there?

Don't.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2023, 03:45:14 PM »
Car keys are on the hall table or in the kitchen drawer .................................

Don't.

My keys are not on your hall table or in your kitchen drawer, they are hanging on a hook in my hall.  The car, however, is locked in my garage :).

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 03:54:41 PM »
My car keys are always in my trousers pocket and while sleeping the trousers are over the back of the chair in the bedroom.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2023, 03:54:12 AM »

Don't.

My keys are not on your hall table or in your kitchen drawer, they are hanging on a hook in my hall.  The car, however, is locked in my garage :).

Ditto

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2023, 11:40:12 AM »
And is the garage key hanging beside them?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2023, 12:17:38 PM »
My garage has no exterior handle or lock, it can only be opened from the inside or by remote control.

I think in the garage out of site and my key turned off should be safe enough.

Tags:

anything