Author Topic: The Beast from the East.  (Read 12153 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: The Beast from the East.
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2018, 10:25:18 PM »
Parked next to a Golf TDi today,  it had dodgy almost bald front summer tyres and pretty good snow tyres on the rear - WTF !  Hope the car did not meet the beast from the East.

Glad to meet a fellow tyre snooper! I look at peoples tyres all the time. I must be one of the few people who is secretly glad when I need new tyres on my own car!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2018, 08:50:01 AM »
Parked next to a Golf TDi today,  it had dodgy almost bald front summer tyres and pretty good snow tyres on the rear - WTF !  Hope the car did not meet the beast from the East.

Glad to meet a fellow tyre snooper! I look at peoples tyres all the time. I must be one of the few people who is secretly glad when I need new tyres on my own car!

My Brother in law is hopeless with tyres (well with any equipment really),  more than once I had to tell him his fronts were down to the steel wires  :o 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2018, 10:26:11 AM »
Another bald tyre snooper here.

Scabby old bangers used to be the favourite for bald tyres, but you're just as likely to see them on nearly new cars these days.

guest5079

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2018, 11:08:07 AM »
Often on expensive luxury vehicles. When I had the 16inch tyres on our Jazz replaced with Michelins, the cost of then £105 a corner was put into perspective by the Tyre man who was replacing all four tyres on a BMW X5. I was told they were the second set in less than 15000 miles and were the best part of twice the price of the Honda tyre.
Unfortunately even after being retired for over 25 yrs, I still look at tyres much to the annoyance of my Wife who says by now I should be able to relax. I can no longer look at tax discs. Unfortunately it was what I was trained to do and it won't go away.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2018, 11:39:16 AM »
The Cliff Mitchelmore documentary "The Big Freeze" was on BBC4 the other night, a bit cheesy but some great footage of the winter of 1963.

That winter I was in the Caribbean, I was a Radio Officer on the Empress of Canada and we did seven winter cruises from New York, came home in April with a nice tan and wondered what all the fuss was about. ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2018, 11:57:22 AM »
Often on expensive luxury vehicles. When I had the 16inch tyres on our Jazz replaced with Michelins, the cost of then £105 a corner was put into perspective by the Tyre man who was replacing all four tyres on a BMW X5.

Maybe,  but you can get Michelin ES+ for 15" wheels £40 cheaper than for 16"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:02:58 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »
Unfortunately it was what I was trained to do and it won't go away.

I know a few ex-job... and no, it never goes away.  ;)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2018, 05:19:42 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5539231/Britain-braced-white-Easter-snow-way.html

Looks like we are in for another Arctic blast over Easter ...   

Won't take winter tyres off just yet

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2018, 11:01:36 AM »
We are quite lucky here. We get very little snow and not much disruption (Warrington). We get the side effects though as people get diverted away from the motorway network and into the town centre. Gridlock often ensues.

More generally, once the media get hold of a new phrase, they won't let it go. If you read the reports we are going to be "buried" in snow again. Well - no - actually we aren't. Some areas will get snow not everybody.

On tyres, my best bald tyre story came from one of many trips to Madeira. We went out on a trip in a people carrier type thing (transit van size). Good trip but hairy roads and we did get a heavy shower of rain at one point. On getting back to the hotel one of our travelling companions pointed to the rear tyres and said drily "Nice to have had a ride on Formula One tyres." They were like slick tyres, only a slight shadow of a tread. We had booked this through Thompsons so we all agreed to put a complaint in. The thing leaked as well!

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2018, 11:19:28 AM »
I went on a bus trip round Madeira in 1970.  Never been so scared before. Travelling at break neck speed through tunnels that would only fit one vehicle and round bends that had a rock face on the inside and a sheer drop on the outside (no fences or barriers).  Real 007 stuff.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2018, 01:47:13 PM »
Yes - some scary stuff in Madeira in either cars or on foot.

Tags:

anything