Author Topic: Car shows on TV - Top Gear, Fifth Gear, Wheeler Dealers, etc.  (Read 75891 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Car shows on TV - Top Gear, Fifth Gear, Wheeler Dealers, etc.
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2016, 09:07:47 PM »
Have been watching this,  we have had some truly great ideas and game changing designs (Triumph Dolomite Sprint - first mass production engine with 4 valve head - more power than a BMW of the time but fitted into an old body) (hydrolastic suspension gave car great handling but badly put together so system rusted away and leaked) but they have been badly executed due to bean counters penny pinching.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2016, 08:21:45 PM »
Car SOS is currently showing on More4 (previously shown on some other channel)
Jay Leno's Garage Season 2 on Dave
Supercar Superbuild on Quest

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2017, 08:20:34 PM »
Top Gear is back on Sunday at 8pm on BBC2 without Chris Evans.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2018, 08:17:12 PM »
Top Gear returns on Sunday 25th February at 8pm on BBC2.
More4 currently showing season 5 of Car SOS. (Previously shown on National Geographic Channel last year.)
Season 12 of Wheeler Dealers starts tonight at 9pm on Quest. (Previously shown on Discovery Channel in 2015 and on Discovery Shed last year.)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »
Top Gear returns tonight
Car SOS on More4, one season behind National Geographic.
Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars on Quest

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2019, 10:40:14 PM »
Carnage on Sky. It’s like Robot Wars crossed with Mad Max, hosted by Freddie Flintoff and two people I’ve never heard of.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2019, 09:27:50 AM »
I recorded Top Gear on Sunday night. It is a while since I watched it last and the trailer looked interesting. I watched it last night. That is an hour of my life I will never get back. It was crap. Didn't even bother with Extra Gear. Deleted that and the rest of the series from my recorder. Only smattering of humour was Matt LeBlanc. When he leaves it will be dismal. Now I remember why it was so long since I watched it!

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2019, 10:50:32 AM »
It's like panning for gold. Every now and then they have a good piece but mostly it is rubbish that I don't have the time for. A very poor recreation of the Clarkson/May/Hammond original.

Having said that, I haven't engaged with their 'Grand Tour' Amazon show either. Watched a few from the first season, but I think their particular style is now looking very dated and out of touch.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2019, 10:11:04 PM »
Just watched last night's Top Gear, and thought it was brilliant. The new presenter line up are top notch and gel well together. My wife watches "Take Me Out", and I have always found Paddy McGuinness  a real tonic. Stick him on a car programme and he is superb.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2019, 10:11:32 AM »
I watched Top Gear for the first time in many years, I thought I would give it a chance with the new set up - can't be worse than Clarkson.

I like McGuinness too, but the comedy was forced at times - should improve as the presenters find their feet. Flintoff always comes across as a bit of a dumbo, and I see they have another diminutive stooge to replace the Hammond character.

Not a bad effort though, to be fair.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2019, 10:37:08 AM »
Just watched last night's Top Gear, and thought it was brilliant. The new presenter line up are top notch and gel well together. My wife watches "Take Me Out", and I have always found Paddy McGuinness  a real tonic. Stick him on a car programme and he is superb.

Agree,  although as sparkyP says Flintoff comes across as a bit of a thicko.  Now all they need to do is dig through the Top Gear junk room and take 'those' number plates on a trip through Argentina ( maybe wait until the Argies get their electricity supply sorted ).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11962681/Jeremy-Clarkson-faces-three-years-in-jail-as-Argentina-reopens-Falklands-row-probe.html
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2020, 11:59:00 AM »
Some car related show on TV at the moment:
Top Gear
Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars on Quest
Flipping Bangers on Blaze

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »
This week I discovered Bangers & Cash on yesterday, it's a series following a family run classic car auctions in a Yorkshire village, lots of interesting cars passing through, it's on Yesterday channel, series 2 is currently being shown, series 1 is available for download on sky if you have the facility. Worth a look if this sort of thing floats your boat.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2020, 12:58:08 PM »
This week I discovered Bangers & Cash on yesterday, it's a series following a family run classic car auctions in a Yorkshire village, lots of interesting cars passing through, it's on Yesterday channel, series 2 is currently being shown, series 1 is available for download on sky if you have the facility. Worth a look if this sort of thing floats your boat.

I don't know how long Mathewsons (of B&C fame) have been there in Thornton-le-Dale, but they were there back in the 90s when I had a week in a holiday cottage there. Very interesting place to look round, especially the motor museum where they had their own collection. Unfortunately, I believe these have now been relocated to make room for more classic auction cars, but there should be something interesting to see.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2020, 01:47:08 PM »
Watched the first of the new Top Gear series last night, and the bit where the guy was running about on the golf driving range, dressed as a T Rex, had me wetting myself!

Tags:

anything