Author Topic: a/c short cycling  (Read 1507 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
a/c short cycling
« on: September 25, 2020, 11:47:38 PM »
does anyone know how fast an a/c compressor comes on and off when it is short cycling

mine is on for 5 seconds and off for 10 and then repeat

it cools the car perfectly all year round

i just noticed the time on and off when i was investigating the screach noise it sometimes makes the first time it cycles after leaving the car off for a week and then quiet the rest of the time

cheers

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: a/c short cycling
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 01:54:10 PM »
I've never noticed this behaviour in any of the Hondas I have driven. However, one thought: Try enabling Econ mode. This increases the allowable difference between target and actual cabin temperatures. I know that Econ reduces the amount of time that that the auto Stop-start doesn't work due to A/C. Econ might also address any aircon short cycling.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 02:06:00 PM »
I suggest that from experience of four Jazz's your cycling times are about right, my current one's figures are about 8 and 10 seconds. It doesn't make any 'screeching' noises however which I would also suggest are the compressor clutch biting on the first start of the day after not being used for a while. If it only does it on first start-up I wouldn't worry about it.

Vic.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 04:51:01 PM »
I suggest that from experience of four Jazz's your cycling times are about right, my current one's figures are about 8 and 10 seconds. It doesn't make any 'screeching' noises however which I would also suggest are the compressor clutch biting on the first start of the day after not being used for a while. If it only does it on first start-up I wouldn't worry about it.

Vic.

thanks, i switched it off the last time i used it a mile or so from my house before i parked the car and today (3 days later) it was normal click, not a loud click or a screach so im pleased with that and also the a/c works perfectly inside the car cooling is very cold, i will put it down to being normal

so it would seem that if it was short cycling because of low gas it would be on and off a lot more frequently than mine at 5 secs on and 10 secs off

thanks all

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 04:55:37 PM »
I've never noticed this behaviour in any of the Hondas I have driven. However, one thought: Try enabling Econ mode. This increases the allowable difference between target and actual cabin temperatures. I know that Econ reduces the amount of time that that the auto Stop-start doesn't work due to A/C. Econ might also address any aircon short cycling.

thanks for your help but i dont have econ mode on the S model

the a/c cools the car perfectly though so i will put it down as normal

im having my 2nd service on monday and i will check the car i get to see how fast it cycles

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 09:49:02 AM »
GK3 1.3 Jazz does not have econ mode as your old HRV. Maybe the 1.5 dynamic could have it.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 01:39:47 AM »
well just had my seconds service and the loaner car a/c cycles at the same rate as mine and the compressor sounds a lot louder on the loaner car too so pleased with that

also they tried it on with a/c service £99 and brake strip down £60 per end £120 total, never heared such nonsence

apparently they have a slight drag on them, must be why i always get over 50-55 mpg after working it out (not off computer)  ;D

they must be desparate for work at the moment although i have seen 2 new hybrids driving about in the wild and a couple trading in a 56 plate honda crv for another hybrid, they were there from when i dropped my car off and still there when i picked it up a couple of hours later (the salesman was looking very stressed)  :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 01:44:48 AM by monkeydave »

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 07:12:47 PM »
Do you guys find the cycling on and off of the fan annoying?
It's one of the few things that bugs me about my Jazz(Mk2), I'd prefer it just stayed on and didn't cycle, each time the fan powers up and down again it makes that electric motor speeding up/slowing down noise. Weeee-waaaaa
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 07:20:20 PM »
Are you saying that you can hear the fan cycling while you are driving? The only time that I can hear is when the car is stopped and the radio is off, this applies to the four Jazz's that i have owned.

Vic.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 09:59:21 PM »

Are you saying that you can hear the fan cycling while you are driving? The only time that I can hear is when the car is stopped and the radio is off, this applies to the four Jazz's that i have owned.

Vic.

With the radio off and cruising around town I can hear it, as the speed picks up it becomes imperceptible but mostly when stopped, that's when it's most annoying.

Have you had any of your Jazzes from new and has the fan sound remained constant as the mileage for higher, I'm wondering if an older more tired fan may be more noisy?

Mine is a 2012 with 170,000.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 10:03:29 PM »
Does anyone know the logic behind the cycling?

With my CRV the fan would go on and stay on which I prefer, it's the cycling which is annoying.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 11:30:34 PM »

With my CRV the fan would go on and stay on which I prefer, it's the cycling which is annoying.

i think it has something to do with pressure build up as its a scroll compressor and not a compressor with pistons inside

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 08:30:43 AM »

i think it has something to do with pressure build up as its a scroll compressor and not a compressor with pistons inside

Due to fixed volume of scroll compressor compared to variable volume of piston type,  the volume of the scroll one is a bit of a compromise so that at higher revs it does not pump too much gas, but at tickover may not pump enough to be really cold,  the only real way to control a fixed volume pump is to disconnect the drive when system is getting too cold.  The clutch on Civic seems to come on and stay on as well ( at least it does not seem to drop in and frequently out like Jazz one ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything