Author Topic: Manual Gears - Maximum Speeds  (Read 3549 times)

guest6570

Manual Gears - Maximum Speeds
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:40:06 PM »
Might sound a silly question but I wonder what the various speed range is for each gear and in getting to them are you pushing up to maximum revs? I used to be able to find information like this in a cars specifications on a relevant manufacturers website or handbook but cannot find anything except specs for gear ratios.

I've checked the manual but can't find anything in there, also Googled etc online.

I've done about 2,000 miles in my 2016 model Jazz Mk3 and at first found it terribly hard to use the gearbox properly, especially around the peak district up steep hills. I now ignore the change up/down gear indicators most of the time and also change up or down the gears missing out the intermediate gears as and when it feels appropriate. I especially like to go up from 4th straight into 6th, likewise changing down from 6th to 4th or even to 2nd depending on circumstances. I also find going from 6th to 3rd quite useful at roundabouts.

Like I said I found it really hard to get used to the gearbox and the closeness of the ratios but finally I'm feeling I'm happy with the gearbox.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Manual Gears - Maximum Speeds
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:46:01 PM »
I'm not sure Honda do these figures but you are right - most car manufacturers used to provide a recommended change up speed or even a max in each gear.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 08:13:03 AM »
The gear change indicator is programmed for economy. The lower half of the MK 3 Jazz's engine's rev range is configured as Atkinson cycle which is more efficient but less powerful. I've only driven the CVT MK 3 Jazz which is programmed to rev the engine to above 3000 rpm when acceleration is needed and will drop back to below 2000 rpm once cruising. You might well be finding that you need to do the same. There's no mechanical danger in piling on the revs when you need power. There's also no problem with missing out intermediate gears.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 03:16:37 PM »
I agree with John, below 3,000 revs = economy, above 3,000 revs = power. Your choice aided by the rev counter. As for gears just pick the one you need for the circumstances.

Tags:

anything