Author Topic: Care needed closing the doors  (Read 1802 times)

Andyjm15

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 SE manual. Lunar silver
Care needed closing the doors
« on: September 12, 2019, 05:18:43 PM »
We have allocated parking spaces at home and have a Freelander parked next to us which I identified as the cause of numerous door impact dents on our previous Jazz and Civic before that. Keen to avoid them on the new one I bought a https://doordefender.net/ which has completely solved the issue. Expensive, but brilliant.
Today however I managed to trap the plastic ball in between the two sections of the defender against the B pillar and, fairly gently I think, closed the door on it. The door didn’t close properly, but the door edge ended up bulged outwards right in the middle of the sculpted swooping curve along the side of the car. Not a lot, but I knew I was there, so applied some gentle panel beating and got it back into shape almost perfectly thankfully.
The point of the post is that I dread to think what something like a seatbelt buckle or similar would do if a small piece of plastic, which should be deformable not hard to be honest, can deform the door!
I will be a lot more careful in future.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Care needed closing the doors
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 05:23:55 PM »
We have allocated parking spaces at home and have a Freelander parked next to us which I identified as the cause of numerous door impact dents on our previous Jazz and Civic before that.

On car parks I always avoid parking next to 4x4, SUV or similar vehicles as they seem very careless when opening doors,  and any car with a child seat in it where door will need to opened wide to get the kid into the seat etc.  You don't have a choice though...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 05:25:43 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Andyjm15

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 SE manual. Lunar silver
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 06:06:44 PM »
We have allocated parking spaces at home and have a Freelander parked next to us which I identified as the cause of numerous door impact dents on our previous Jazz and Civic before that.

On car parks I always avoid parking next to 4x4, SUV or similar vehicles as they seem very careless when opening doors,  and any car with a child seat in it where door will need to opened wide to get the kid into the seat etc.  You don't have a choice though...
Yes I do the same as well as avoiding cars which the owner obviously doesn’t care about.
At home it’s the design of the Freelander rear doors that is the problem. They end halfway up the wheel arch creating a sharp point which lined up perfectly with the dents on my other cars. The front doors aren’t an issue. Asking her nicely to stop worked for a month or so then she reverted to her old habits. >:(
£65 for the Door defender was worth it to avoid an unwinnable argument.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 01:40:17 PM »
What I want know is why when I park in a nearly empty car park anywhere well away from anyone else when I come back there is nearly always someone in either a van or 4X4 parked right next to me, yesterday in a Tesco car park I parked well away from anyone only to come back and find a campervan next to me on one side and an old banger with dents on the other side with no one else anywhere near.  :'(
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 02:50:49 PM by Hobo »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »
When I parked in Morrisons this morning I parked beside a BMW X5, parked right on the bay line. I parked hard up against his driver's door. It was still there when I came back!

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 08:58:00 AM »
What I want know is why when I park in a nearly empty car park anywhere well away from anyone else when I come back there is nearly always someone in either a van or 4X4 parked right next to me, yesterday in a Tesco car park I parked well away from anyone only to come back and find a campervan next to me on one side and an old banger with dents on the other side with no one else anywhere near.  :'(

Because the Jazz is relatively narrow compared to the Chelsea tractors etc, so they'll have a bit more room than if they parked next to  one of their own kind?

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 11:03:19 AM »
Because the Jazz is relatively narrow compared to the Chelsea tractors etc, so they'll have a bit more room than if they parked next to  one of their own kind?

But I am not in a Jazz I have a Civic now. :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 02:12:34 PM »
It may help if carpark spaces were more than 6 inches wider than the cars, the spaces don't seem to have changed since the 1960's but the sure fact is that cars have got bigger on the outside and same or smaller on the inside.....  compare a new mini with the original, not much more room inside but massively bigger externally..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »
We had a Morrisons open in Kirkcaldy, three or four years back, and if you think the spaces are tight you should see the lanes. If a car is waiting to come out there is not enough room for a car to turn in. The thing is, the car park is huge and never full. They could have reduced the capacity by 25% and made it safer and more convenient.

Tags:

anything